Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just wanted to introduce myself - new Egger

Q-Scoop
Q-Scoop Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My big Christmas present this year was a big Big Green Egg. Did my first cook today - filet mignon - and it was awesome. Zero to 700 degrees in about 10 minutes, but you all know that.[p]I'm a certified KCBS master judge and a competition cook with our team, Chicks in Charge (we cook on a Backwoods and a WSM in competition). I met Dizzy Pig at the Jack this year and enjoyed getting to know them. [p]I am a newspaper editor in Nashville, hence my handle. Look forward to learning a lot from you all as I begin my Egg adventure. Catherine

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Q-Scoop,[p]Welcome Catherine.
    You are going to have a lot of fun with your egg.[p]

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Q-Scoop,Welcome aboard. I think we may have cooked against you in Dillard. My wife, the chef on our team, and I also judge KCBS & FBA. We compete using all EGGS as Jus-Fer-Fun Cooking Crew.We look forward to meeting and talking EGG.[p]Eggin just a few years,
    Poppasam

• Hi, Doc. Nice to see you at the Jack as well. I wandered by the BGE display with envy hoping I'd be among the ranks soon. My husband, Mark, is a saint (and well fed). Catherine
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Q-Scoop,
    Welcome to the Cult of the Big Green Egg. In short order you will know what I'm talking about. This grows on you. I've been here over 6 years and never tire if it. Like we tell all new comers, don't hesitate to ask questions, there aren't any stupid ones because we asked them earlier. ASk for advice and you'll get 10 ways to do it . . . all of them valid. You may be the only editor that I know of here and I'm a retired publisher that can't spell or punctuate. I relied on my editor to make me look good when it came to the printed word. God! I miss her!
    Again, welcome and don't be a stranger. What newspaper?

• Poppasam, well we stunk it up in Dillard this year but we had fun. I'm sure you finished ahead of us. We got our name called in the grits category (Bobby Flay's shrimp and grits - really good, actually) but we finished dead last in brisket. We're cooking in Lakeland in January. You going to be there? Catherine

• Look forward to lots of advice. I'm the executive editor of The City Paper (www.nashvillecitypaper.com), a daily that's five years old. Where were you publisher? Catherine
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Q-Scoop,if we make Lakeland it would most likely be to judge. A little far for our budget right now. We thinking Mobile as our first long haul trip. We live below Atlanta and try to stay within a two to four hour drive. Dillard has been good to us the few years we've cooked. Last year we took a 1st in grits, 2nd in cabbege, and 7th in ribs. We still learning and working on the four meat comps. but we having fun doing it.[p]Poppasam

• Q-Scoop,[p]I appreciate the work you do with at City Paper. Ever city needs two daily papers, and I like the way you guys have gone about that journey.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Q-Scoop,
    Hi Catherine and welcome aboard. [p]I cooked against you in Dillard and I think in Douglas also.
    So are we gonna see that Egg out on the circuit next season?[p]It's a great cooker and very addictive.[p]Merry Christmas!

• No, the Egg is staying home. Too heavy to travel for me and not enough capacity for the rest of the Chicks. Catherine

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Q-Scoop,
    It was a small regional business journal covering southeastern Massachusetts. Went out to 22,000 businesses on a monthly basis. We had a good run of eleven years. Sadly, when we started bleeding money again I just couldn't see keeping it going. We had lost too many advertisers and the prospect of clawing back up that hill didn't appeal to me or the staff. Now I keep running into people who offer to finance the paper if I would start it back up. I'm having too much fun not taking blood pressure meds and having a schedule that rivaled (I thought) the one George Bush has. Again, welcome.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Q-Scoop,[p]Welcome aboard! It's always exciting to see people who are serious cooks adopt an egg (or two). When I initially got started with an egg it was just for the ability to grill snd smoke food (that had more flavor than the old gas grill. Little did I know how wonderful the experience would be. Not only did I become a decent cook (so my wife says) , but also made MANY GREAT FRIENDS![p]Smokey
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Q-Scoop,[p]I had no idea. You should have stopped and fondled one, or at least ate something. Our friend mary Ann has been lusting over an egg, and I expect this will put her over the top. She'll just have to have one now![p]PS I'll show you the secret handshake when I see you.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Catherine!
    Welcome to eggland. So, are the Chicks gonna tote the egg to comps? It's a nice tool to have around![p]Good meeting you in Lynchburg, and hope to catch up with you again next year. Happy eggin. You gotta try some pizza.
    Happy new year.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Q-Scoop,
    Welcome! Based on your background - you already know you are in for a fun & tasty ride. This is a great group of folks! Joe

• FlatEric, Thanks. I'm guessing you're in the Nashville area? Catherine

• Q-Scoop,
    Yes, Sylvan Park. I am not really a stuffed animal, i just play one in advertisements

• Q-Scoop,
    Glad to have you in the Egg bunch. This is a great forum!
    I understand the Chicks in Charge will be in Lakeland.
    See ya'll there,
    BS Pitmeister