Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple Leaf Lump

Options
Is now my go to lump.  I really only have Maple Leaf and BGE lump for options in Saskatchewan it seems, but the BGE lump has been very disappointing, my last bag had half nickel sized pieces and tons of dust, and all other bags only slightly better.  Amazon.ca decided they don't want to ship dangerous goods so I can't get FOGO anymore.  So thank god Homehardware came to the rescue and sells Mapleleaf, I'm very satisfied with the cook I get with them.

Bigs
Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Like night and day! RO is smokey And takes forever to remove voc's maple leaf smells good right outta the bag with no smokiness and little ash . Food tastes much better using ML in my opinion.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    How in the world can anyone describe lump charcoal as "dangerous goods"? This world has done gone crazy.

Have you checked out firecraft.com? They do free shipping on orders over $100 although I'm not sure if that deal applies to those in the great white north. It'd be worth checking out though, I've been thoroughly enjoying the lump I got from them.

Glad to hear you like the maple lead though, I've heard good things but never tried it myself.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I wish someone from up north would send me a bag! There is no way to buy Maple Leaf here in Texas.
    McKinney, TX
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Is that why they haven't had it for a while now? I bought a bag of Fogo and Kebroak and liked both and I wanted to buy more but it's crazy expensive. That sucks. Where did you find that tidbit out from?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    LS introduced me to Maple Leaf lump. good stuff!  One of my go to lumps, the other is Basques.
    canuckland
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    @hondabbq I put two bags on order even though amazon said they were out of stock.  After a couple months I got an email from them telling me that they cannot ship it because they just realized it is a dangerous good.  I really wish I bought a lot more bags while they had stock, you really couldn't beat the price or the lump.  Well maple leaf contends I suppose, and maple leaf does not have the huge log sized chunks which were a bit to big.

@ChilliWillis I have eyed up firecraft but I don't know if that would apply for shipping to us Canadians.  Also I'm wondering if we have different rules now for shipping that sort of stuff since the amazon thing. 

The next time I am in Calgary I will be able to pick up few different brands like dragon breath and wicked good.  But then again I am very happy with Maple Leaf, it is as @CANMAN1976 says.  There is only one store in all of Saskatoon that carries it so they better continue carrying it or I'm eff'd

Bigs

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @bigalsworth‌ when you're ordering on firecraft you can enter your zip code to check the shipping charge. If your order is over $100 and you choose the normal shipping option it will tell you the shipping charge is $0.00 if applicable. Be sure to click on the "check shipping" button in the checkout menu.
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    @Lmidkiff I can look at what it would take to get you a bag but it may be more expensive than its worth lol.  They do have 4kg bags which might be cheaper to ship and give you just enough for a taste.  They do have a 8kg bag that is $21 canadian right off the hop and I would suspect at minimum over $20 shipping.

Bigs
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• bigalsworth
    Options
    @ChillyWillis I think that only works for an american zip.  They do have a shipping section which talks about shipping internationally and they mention that they only ship freight to Canadians but I would have to call to see if its free over $100.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @bigalsworth - don't know if you tried, but my local HH will give me a 5-10% discount depending how many I buy. If I get 10, he gives me 10%off - pays the tax!
    Final price here i lotus land is about $19 a bag. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    @Skiddymarker I am going to try that out, thanks for the tip
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I'm LOVING this stuff!!image
    GWN
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options

i think ill see if my local hh can get some too
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @Nanook‌ - Basques is good. That's what I use because I can get it cheap from Costco. However, in my opinion, Maple Leaf is better. SWMBO actually knows when I use Maple Leaf instead of Basques. Basques is good, much better than RO but if you have a chance to try Maple Leaf, you should try it.

Options
    We are lucky to be able to get Maple Leaf and Basques from Home Hardware and Rona stores...

I am going to have to check my local Rona I get 10% off there.  Plus it is closer than the HH to me.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Royal oak turned my MIL from my egg and maple leaf brought her back:) It's much better lump.I Gotta try some basque from costco, its called natures own right? with the loon on the bag?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    @CANMAN1976  I was just in Newfoundland for my bro-in-laws wedding this summer, how is lobster, crab, scallops, cod, etc on the egg?  I loved the cod while I was there but I can imagine it tastes even better on the egg.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Nanook - Basques is good, Maple Leaf is Very good.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    @paqman‌ and @Skiddymarker‌ . Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try it out. There is a Rona a few miles from my place.
    GWN
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Royal oak turned my MIL from my egg and maple leaf brought her back:) It's much better lump.I Gotta try some basque from costco, its called natures own right? with the loon on the bag?

@CANMAN1976‌ - yes, that's the one.

Options
    @Nanook‌ - Your local store may not stock it but they should be able to order it for you.