Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two ? about ABTs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Merry Christmas.....[p]Direct or indirect?[p]Season em a little or not?

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    ATBs.jpg
    <p />Dr. Seuss,[p]I do indirect..raised grid, then[p]direct.. just a tad at the end!![p]I sprinkle my rub of choice on while they cook!![p]I also occasionally like to brush with real Maple Syrup (to glaze at the end).[p]Manga!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    ABTs2.jpg
    <p />Dr. Seuss,
    I go indirect raised grid as well. I sprinkle Raging River on before cooking. Unlike the Chubster, I will give you a temp. I like 425-450.
    I also do mine on the half shell. Good luck.[p]
    Mike[p]

• MadDogMoore
    Options
    Dr. Seuss,[p]Defintely indirect or you'll wear yourself out chasing the temperatures up and down because of grease fires. My first ABT attempt turned out good, however, they were more than a little crisp, and a lot of the insides cooked out due to the exteme heat cycles and compression from the bacon...[p]Since then I've tried a drip pan and that was a huge improvment, but the ones around the edges were definitely more done. Yesterday, I used a sacraficial pizza stone and a drip pan, and the ABT's were all cooked to perfection. The inside stuff stayed in and the outside stuff was perfectly done.[p]Land of Maddi[p]
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Chubby,
    Danged! I just got through telling my wife I'd had too much rich holiday food. I did two turkeys and two pork loins for two seperate family gatherings. Sweet potato casserole, dressing, you know the bit. I was wondering what to do on the egg tomorrow and I saw dem ABTs! Now, I know what to do on the small tomorrow. Thanks for that post.[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Dr. Seuss,
    Try some without the bacon. I know...I know...it was for the wife....the chared peppers really adds a nice twist and is almost as good as the bacon wrapped ones. I've always done mine direct until today. Tomorrow I'm doint the indirect route but might pull out the drip pan for a little crisping up if needed at the end. Mine so far have been a bit too crispy going direct only but I like crispy bacon.

• MadDogMoore
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]We cooked the extra one's (bare, no bacon) yesterday without the bacon and they were awesome... Try them with some mass between the fire and the product (pizza stone/plate setter). All of our ABT's turned out consistently cooked with the heat barrier.[p]Land of Maddi
  • Dr. Seuss,[p]Just a comment about ABTs. I sent my son (24) and daughter (29) to get some Jalapenos for ABT's. They came back with these monster peppers, I wasn't sure if they were Jalapenos, Habernaros, or what. They were huge, about 3-4" on average.[p]I decided to do them anyway. Turned out to be some of the best AGTs I have done. The peppers were Pablanos. A little milder than Jalapenos but everyone liked them and turned out the hit of the party. I stuffed them with a low and slow chuck roast I did a couple of weeks age and the usual cream cheese and bacon. I have to admit they were better than I expected.[p]If you want something with a little less heat than Jalapenos, I would suggest trying these/[p]Mike

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    MadDogMoore,
    My previous ABT excursions have been with no means of indirect on the small whilst another item was on the large. Problem now solved. :>)[p]Part of what made them so good I think was the charred exterior of the pepper, thats why I think removing the heat shield towards the end might be a good idea. Nothing like eggsperimentation.[p]H

• MadDogMoore
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]I'm liking the idea of removing at the heat shield at the end of the cook... Just don't like charred and nasty bacon. Will try it between the Holidays. Thanks![p]Land of Maddi

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Dr. Seuss,
    OK, I see the bacon wrapped around what looks like a pepper. So the "B" in ABT is bacon, right? what is ABT?

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    A is for atomic and T is for turd... hmmm I feel a cheer comin on.LOL[p]Scott

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    eggor,
    Well of course it is, shoulda known. Whatever you call them they sure are good..... I guess even a "T" wrapped in bacon..