Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding an egg to my current Large, but should I get a Large or XL?

Hi all, hope you can make my mind up.  I've had a large for 10 years, and have it in the table here:

http://www.davidsmalldesigns.com/images/igallery/original/1301-1400/13_Oakville_Custom_Home___Traditional_Simplicity___covered_back_porch-1310.jpg

I'm going to get a large or xl and put it to the right of the picture here where there is an alcove with a seldom used gasser.   The large works well for the family, but the extra egg would definitely help out on larger cooks for company or when cooking different stuff (ie low n slow vs high temp items).  I am tempted by the XL just for the variety, I don't really need the extra space in total, but the flexibility to use just the XL if I need a bit more room would be nice.  I plan on rolling this extra egg in it's nest twice a year about 20 feet along the flagstone to bring it closer to the kitchen door in the wintertime.

I see the downsides of the XL being the extra lump and start up time if I really don't need all that 2nd egg, rolling it on the flagstone twice a year, and the extra lump and start up time.  Can those with experience tell me if these concerns are warranted or if they are minor and I should treat myself to the variety of the XL.

Thanks all!

Beefer

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Get a xxl. Come on....just do it. :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Spring for the xl. The new nest rolls alot easier then the old nest did. I would get the egg handler so the egg is attached to the nest.

the little bit more lump you would use between the 2 just get the xl.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I think you will find the Large sitting lonely after you get used to the XL. LOVE my xl. 

But, if you already have a good bit in accessories for the large, that may sway you to get another large so all your accessories work for both.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Beefer
    Beefer Posts: 41
    Spring for the xl. The new nest rolls alot easier then the old nest did. I would get the egg handler so the egg is attached to the nest. the little bit more lump you would use between the 2 just get the xl.

Good point on the handler, just read a thread on these due to your prompting.  I was ignorant due to my years of table use.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I'd get the large, save on accessories.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    edited August 2014
    I am by NO means an expert - Just my 2 cents:

Rolling the XL in a nest should be a non-issue. Mine lives in my garage and I roll it out each time I use it. While I'm certainly not a wallflower, it should be plenty easy enough for you to do if you are able bodied. My 11 year old is able to roll it with no problem.

Start up time should also be a non-issue. Either pile the lump just in the middle and light, get a lump-reducing ring (I don't have, but have heard they are handy), or use cheap fire bricks if need be. I use fire bricks when I want to do off-set, but to tell you the truth, the lump I use has large enough pieces that I probably don't even need those, either.

Now that I've said that - I think the XL is a ridiculous amount of real estate....and I'm glad I have my smaller grill for smaller cooks. But if you're looking for something to help out the large, I'd go with the XL. It can't hurt. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • badinfluence
    edited August 2014
    My xxl has a handler on it also. Just sayin' and is pretty easy to move around for a 500 lb egg that is.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Beefer
    I think you will find the Large sitting lonely after you get used to the XL. LOVE my xl. 

But, if you already have a good bit in accessories for the large, that may sway you to get another large so all your accessories work for both.
    Good point on the accessories.  Getting a deal on these, which will include a plate setter so that's covered.  Will have to choke on the rest if i go xl.
    PNWFoodie said:
    I am by NO means an expert - Just my 2 cents:

Rolling the XL in a nest should be a non-issue. Mine lives in my garage and I roll it out each time I use it. While I'm certainly not a wallflower, it should be plenty easy enough for you to do if you are able bodied. My 11 year old is able to roll it with no problem.

Start up time should also be a non-issue. Either pile the lump just in the middle and light, get a lump-reducing ring (I don't have, but have heard they are handy), or use cheap fire breaks if need be. I use fire breaks when I want to do off-set, but to tell you the truth, the lump I use has large enough pieces that I probably don't even need those, either.

Now that I've said that - I think the XL is a ridiculous amount of real estate....and I'm glad I have my smaller grill for smaller cooks. But if you're looking for something to help out the large, I'd go with the XL. It can't hurt. :)
    The flag has some bumps, easy for me to push but would be concerned about catching the groove in the mortar and tipping the egg over...however it's only a twice a year procedure.  Will look into those rings, thx.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035

I love my XL, but find myself using my Weber gasser many weeknights because it is a beast to fire up.

To be fair though, some of that is because we have a 12, 9, and 6 year old and life moves pretty fast at my house with all their activities - so it might be more that I like the convenience of the super quick gasser as opposed to the actual effort required to get the XL dialed in. Hard to tell.

But I'd go all in for the XL, if you cook for a crowd it just cannot be beat. The darn thing will hold 7-8 dozen wings on one level, 4-5 racks of ribs, tons of burgers, etc. etc. etc. It is awesome.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Never push an egg in a nest. Always pull it. If you are pushing and one of the forward wheels catches on something, it could tip forward.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2014
    It sounds like you would be fine with another large, but the XL would definitely be a nice to have as well.  FWIW if I had an XL I would get these:

It would be nice to be able to split the fire box to have defined hot and cold zones.  

BTW- that is a beautiful egging and outdoor area you have there!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I only have a large but i do have a nest handler on it and i wouldn't be without it. And absolutely never push that egg ALWAYS pull.
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Beefer
    It sounds like you would be fine with another large, but the XL would definitely be a nice to have as well.  FWIW if I had an XL I would get these:

It would be nice to be able to split the fire box to have defined hot and cold zones.  

BTW- that is a beautiful egging and outdoor area you have there
    I like it.  All good tips guys, thanks.  I'm leaning XL..tough to argue with your collective wisdom.
  • badinfluence
    @Beefer‌ looks like you might have enough room for a XXL there also.

Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    all your currant accessories fit your large, to me it makes more sense to get another large seeing youve already gone 10 years with one large and its worked........and back it up with as mini
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Maybe I am OCD, but I like stuff to match... Personally, I would get a large.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Beefer
    all your currant accessories fit your large, to me it makes more sense to get another large seeing youve already gone 10 years with one large and its worked........and back it up with as mini
    :D
    Yes, small added expense.  Need an adapter for my cyberq wifi, extra grills (cast iron and raised).  Don't have AR or Woo or anything like that. 
  • DMW
    Same Guru adapter for both L/XL. You just rotate it 90* to use on XL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Beefer
    DMW said:

Oh? I didn't know that.  I just went on the site and when you go to buy one they distinguish between L and XL...but they have same adapters?
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816

I vote XL.

I have a medium and a large.  Many times I wished I had a large and an Xlarge.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    I just went through this myself. I was leaning towards another large because I have more than enough accessories for two, but in the end I couldn't pass on the XL. I really wanted the extra real estate the XL has. Getting XL, nest, and handler. Skipped the plate setter and ordered the AR Woo2 combo and angle brackets from CGS.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I'd vote XL because when you want space, there is no substitute, but it sounds like a large will work for your needs. 

I wouldn't worry about start-up speed of the XL.  You go out and get it lit first, then do your large.  A few extra minutes headstart is good enough for most cooks.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Beefer
    I just bought the XL, thanks everyone.  I love my cast iron grate for the large, but the XL looks like a beast.  Think I should skip it and just get grill grates?
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Congrats. Just my opinion, lifting that CI grate off the XL would get old. I have CI for my medium and a set of Grill Grates. That works for me.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Mangrates.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Get a XL with a AR /woo2. That's what I have. It can hold alot of food.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    not just pull, but pull below the belt, think gravity!
    canuckland
  • Beefer
    texaswig said:

Get a XL with a AR /woo2. That's what I have. It can hold alot of food.

Done. I'm giving back the plate setter that comes with it for store credit.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Congrats!
    canuckland