Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pointers For A Newbie

Options

Hello guys, I've attended Eggtoberfest as a taster but will be cooking for the first time this year. Any pointers or suggestions you could give to me and other first timers would be greatly appreciated. Any "don't leave home with out it" items would help also. And lastly any method you use to determine how much food  to cook? (lbs or just wing it).  Looking forward to meeting you at either the meet and greet or the festival. Been cooking on the egg for at least 7 years so this is very exciting to me. Thanks! 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options

I've only cooked at the Salado Eggfest on one occasion, but between that experience and reading through some similar threads on here over the years, I'll try to help out.

As near as I can tell, there is no expectation as to how many servings you cook.  If the tasters like what you are putting out, there will be an endless demand that is hard, if not impossible, to satisfy.  So, the best advice is to not try to satisfy it.  If you ultimately do, then you have servings going unclaimed and you look around at other eggers that don't have any leftovers and then you will wonder "What's wrong with my stuff?" - so there is no happy ending for the egger that is trying to satisfy everyone.

The other great advice (that I ultimately didn't follow, but wish I did) came from @Mickey when he suggested that you not plan to cook nonstop.  Take some time for yourself to walk around and enjoy the eggfest.  For example, if it takes you an hour to put out a batch of whatever you are cooking, then after the first batch goes out and gets eaten, walk around for 15-30 minutes before you get back to work on the next batch.

I can't think of any "don't leave home without it" items that would apply to all cooks, except maybe beer. I made a list on my phone about a week before the fest and over the ensuing days as I thought of something else I would need, I added it to the list.  When it came time to pack up, I had everything I needed - and more.

It is probably best to plan to be self-sufficient in terms of clean-up and bring handiwipes, paper towels, garbage bags, etc. although eggers are a very generous bunch so if you forget something they will be glad to help.

I hope this helps - and have fun.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Beer...lots of beer
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Prep ahead as much as possible. @Foghorn‌ is correct about killing yourself. Enjoy the day.

Have a way for tasters to get your recipes. Index card, dry erase board, website. ...you will be asked 500 times:
    What is it?
    What's in it?
    How long did you cook it?
    Yada Yada Yada. .

Now I'll tell you how lil Stefan and awshhiitt do it. Get henapple liquored up. Have him go to the pavilion around 6 am to set up and reserve the eggs. Have henapple secure tables, chairs and trash receptacles. Go have bloody marys, mimosas and omelets while henapple watches "your" area. Stroll in around 11 and move henapple and his crap out of your way. During the afternoon, be sure to "sample" henapple's beer. He wasn't going to drink it anyway.
    Lil Stefan takes it one step further. Be sure to bring 236 lbs of marinated meat across the border. Load 3 lbge full of satay and ask awwsshhiiit to watch it for a minute. Go hide and watch while everyone raves about how wonderful your satay is.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    As foghorn said. Leave yourself time to enjoy the Fest as in being a taster as well. Just enjoy yourself. Don't overthink the Fest. Introduce yourself to fellow Eggers.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    So, it seems the "don't leave home without it" item is a henapple.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• gregg204
    gregg204 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the tips. Definitely will not forget the beer!