Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mid-life crisis. And I already have a couple eggs.

I'm turning 50 in October.  And I'll be a grandfather right around the same time. 

There's an eclipse going on here.  I must admit, life only gets better when you get older.  Have responsable fun before you die. We're all gonna die.

Anyone perchance have this affliction?  What was your solution?

My solution would have been buy some BGEs, but I already had those.  So I just bought three dangerous vehicles and SWMBO is asking where my living will, and will is.  Prudent in any situation.  That said:  BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeH8s_RAuTI

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @nolaegghead‌
    I bought a 4 wheel drive tractor during my mid life crisis. Didn't really need it. Just wanted it to play on. I must say that it made me feel 30 years younger. Worth every penny in my book. You said it best. We all are going to die someday. Might as well enjoy yourself while you can.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    That means you'll live to a 100 years old if your starting your midlife crisis at 50. Woohoo! Time to celebrate. \:D/ That means fifty more years of eggin'.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Happy fifty. Other half's midlife crisis was wanting another go fast 2 seater. The z4 fit the bill.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Did the same only a corvette here.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • I turn 50 next April and have a daughter in college with another following...no toys for me. :((
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The mini max may be available by then...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    So I just bought three dangerous vehicles and SWMBO is asking where my living will, and will is.  

Well, don't leave us hanging; whadja get???  

My crisis vehicle:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited August 2014
    I'm in the same age bracket as Nola. My youngest is six years old. No dangerous rides for this caveman!
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    i turned 50 this spring and realized i did all the crazy things already
    :D i need a new bucket list
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Shoot I'm only 45 guess I'm gonna die sonner :(( here's mune
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • @badinfluence - Surprised you didn't get it painted in the BGE green, to match your collection.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I told my wife it was better to find something new to love rather than someone new.... your new toy, be it an egg or a car, will never say "tell me you love me," or ask you to leave your wife!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I'm right behind you. I'd get some fishing gear. All that redfish in the bayou. Tell you what...

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Toys are toys, they partially, but never really fulfill our expectations and dreams. Enjoy the ones you have and keep 'em between the ditches - unless of course they are meant to be in the ditches and off road. Have a feeling your life is pretty full already with family, friends, work and interests. 

If you follow the pattern, they will all take second fiddle to that grandchild that is on the way. Family and those life changing experiences you can't buy - that's living. 

Have a great one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Botch - similar....

imageimage
    ....and the other two.  Actually bought the scooter early in the year.
    Thought for sure you have the boxer BMW. Like many of this style (Triumph Tiger) they have high seats, just not right for us short legged dwarves. 

Like the water cooling, does it need high octane fuel? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I bought a '67 Chevelle a while back. I'm 43, but maybe by the time I'm 50, it'll run.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    I'm 55 and cool with it. My knees are shot but go to the gym every other day and probably stronger than at any point in my life.  Our only finished her Masters and moved to San Diego to be with her Navy Pilot finance'. The wedding is next may. 

Was at Publix yesterday to pick up a couple things. The Indian lady rang me up and said she'd give me a discount. I asked if they had a senior discount, she said "yes". I asked how old one had to be. 
    She said "60". I thought, ****, to some old Indian Woman I look like a 60 year old man. 

Good thing I had an old dog and a new egg to go home to, 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Why wait, im 47, got my R1200GSW and a Mini Countryman AWD.

imageimage
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    If you want to live dangerously why not take a week vacation to Thailand for some ladyboy loving...
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    Thought for sure you have the boxer BMW. Like many of this style (Triumph Tiger) they have high seats, just not right for us short legged dwarves. 

Like the water cooling, does it need high octane fuel? 
    @skiddymarker I'm pretty sure it uses 92 octane.  I haven't fueled it up yet.  I'm 6' and the seat is fine for me.  You can buy several different height seats for it.  The guy I bought it from was 5'10".
    Sounds like the kids are grown and your finances are on a solid footing. You already have the toys.  Take some time and travel. 

I've got 2 in college and one more in HS.  6 yrs and they're off the payroll.  I'm looking forward to being able to travel with just my wife and hit some interesting destinations. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolaegghead
    edited August 2014
    @Ragtop99 - we're essentially DINKs now.  I'm just happy I'm making it to 50.  I was kinda wild when I was younger and had my doubts.   Paid cash for everything so I'm not going ape-**** financially.  I think travel is a fine idea.  I've been all over Europe, but the world is a big place.  I'll pass on @fanoffanboys suggestion.  I'm not a fanboy of subjugation, being cursed with that "empathy" thing. 

Also, I'm the diametric of an a-hole driver.  I'm completely focused on driving and drive everything like I'm invisible.
    @Ragtop - we're essentially DINKs now.  I'm just happy I'm making it to 50.  I was kinda wild when I was younger and had my doubts.   Paid cash for everything so I'm not going ape-**** financially.  I think travel is a fine idea.  I've been all over Europe, but the world is a big place.  I'll pass on @fanoffanboys suggestion.  I'm not a fanboy of subjugation, being cursed with that "empathy" thing. 
    umm...ok?
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    I know you were joking, I'm just calling out the subjugation of youth in the sex trade.  I think that's terrible.  And the empathy comment just a dig at those that can profit from that pain.  Nothing personal implied (the implication being that you don't have that.)
    You need a new hobby!
    Something you can do while you travel but also from home.
    Think of a parallel interest to things you already do or the last time you saw anybody and said, "now that looks like something I'd like to do!"   or even if you thought, "looks fun, I'm too old for that."  (you aren't)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    nola just went all Murray Head after getting tempted by Lola.