Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Surf and Turf in memory of my Pop

Options
My dad passed away this week. He was awesome and I'll miss him, but he was ready, and left us with a smile on his face and many, many great memories. So in honor of him I'm going all in for the family gathering tonight.  He had a couple things he LOVED to cook. One was North Carolina BBQ - he'd do whole hogs on an open pit, Eastern NC style, for picnics and special occasions; and the other was Pacific smoked salmon, something he grew up eating in Seattle.

So, I started a Butt Low and Slow last night, and this morning I just put 2 salmon filets in my homemade offset for some cold smoked salmon, Pacific northwest style with alder wood in a plywood box he built.

And I'm going to put on a couple racks of ribs later this afternoon.

Should be a fine feast, along with several Mount Gay rum cocktails.

imageimage
1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    So sorry for your loss @CarolinaCrazy.  Sounds like he enjoyed family by feeding them.  I am sure you found some peace within while cooking (and maybe a few talks with him too).  

Interested in seeing the end product.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    I have great memories of my dad as well. Many days on the water or in the woods. He's been gone since Father's Day 87. I celebrate his life each Father's Day.
    I can tell from your words that your father was a good man and that you are a good son.
    I'd sure like me some of that salmon
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    edited August 2014
    Options
    What a wonderful tribute to your father! I'm very sorry for your loss, but glad that he left the way he wanted to. Please know that by sharing his story, you have passed on a bit of his legacy. I hope your father was a man who liked to make others smile, because your tribute quite literally put several smiles on my face. Your post spoke to me in three different ways. When I was active duty, I homesteaded at Ft. Bragg. The first time someone invited me to a NC "pig pickin" and explained what it was, I thought he was trying to mess with the Boston/Cali girl's mind. :) I now live in the PNW....and when you mentioned not just smoked salmon, but Alderwood smoked salmon, I smiled and thought "yep, that's Seattle style". Finally, my best vacation ever was in Barbados, where the Mt. Gay and/or Cockspur rum cocktails flow freely and are cheaper than water. In just your short posting, you were able to pass on his essence. Three heartfelt smiles your father's memory has given a complete stranger...he must have been one heck of a man.

Once again, I am sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family can find peace in the celebration of his life this evening. Let me know the time and I promise I will also raise my glass to him as well.

{{hugs}},

Sandy
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Your Dad sounds like a great guy! I'm sorry for you and your family. Enjoy that feast tonight and all the good stories about your Pops!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My dad passed away this week. He was awesome and I'll miss him, but he was ready, and left us with a smile on his face and many, many great memories. So in honor of him I'm going all in for the family gathering tonight.  He had a couple things he LOVED to cook. One was North Carolina BBQ - he'd do whole hogs on an open pit, Eastern NC style, for picnics and special occasions; and the other was Pacific smoked salmon, something he grew up eating in Seattle.

So, I started a Butt Low and Slow last night, and this morning I just put 2 salmon filets in my homemade offset for some cold smoked salmon, Pacific northwest style with alder wood in a plywood box he built.

And I'm going to put on a couple racks of ribs later this afternoon.

Should be a fine feast, along with several Mount Gay rum cocktails.

imageimage
    Fixed that for you. Your Dad knew just what BBQ was.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    You're in my thoughts and prayers. So sorry for your loss.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear this, but how great for you to have a shared passion that will always bring great memories to you.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, what a great tribute to his memory. I'll raise a glass to your family tonight sir
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss. What a way to honor him.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Sorry for your loss brother...awesome looking offset.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Sorry for your loss man. What a very fitting way to pay tribute. Memories last forever. That also looks like some damn good eats for tonight. I would love to see more of the homemade offset setup.

Peace be with you and your family.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    It's funny how that works. My fathers favorite meal has become mine, seems like he's still there sometimes when I'm grilling.

There's nothing worse than losing a loved one. My condolences.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Sorry for your family's loss... He sounds like he was a heck of guy and would have loved the way you are honoring him today. Enjoy the meal... And "cheers" to your Pop
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    It's almost been 8 years since my mother passed away, and while I hate how young she was when she passed, I find myself to have been lucky to have 25 years of memories.

My condolences.
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    Sorry for your loss... enjoy the dinner and your fond memories

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• TNegg
    TNegg Posts: 89
    Options
    I lost my dad this winter and I had a good cry after reading your post. Your tribute to him is so sweet. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy‌ Respect!
    I'm sorry for you and your family's loss. My wife's Father passed away recently very unexpectedly. I don't think we are ever truly prepared for this type of loss. Excellent homage for your Pops. O:-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Seems like a great way to honor your father with your family.   Well done.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Sorry to hear the news but sounds like it went as well as could be expected and you are appropriately honoring him.  I'm certain he would be proud of the feast you have prepared.  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA