Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My wife's first cook on her new mini.

Options
13»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @mshump‌
    That is excellent that they are interested in egging. I wish them good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Good for her. Tell her to posting her cooks. BTW cornbread in CI skillet is a wonderful mini cook.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Good for you and for Mrs. SGH both!  That's a fine looking cook and an even finer attitude that allows her to share your passion.  Personally, I'm not open to having Mrs. HendersonTRKing do any more than enjoy the fruits of my hobby, but maybe I should open my mind to it.  After all, I don't go to her book club (although I enjoy the leftover snacks and wine) and I try to stay out of her hair when she's deep into the indoor kitchen.  I'm an improvisational chef and she's a recipe slave, which makes for an interesting duo.  But I think that the first time I went to fill the egg and found "we" were out of lump or dizzy dust would be enough to make me nuts.  Then again, if I could count on the missus to keep us stocked up on critical supplies, maybe there's something to this after all.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    After cooking on a large for a few months, I can't imagine what I would use a mini for (or small for that matter).  The wife wants nothing to do with the operation of the egg, but she's surely interested in the results.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    My 13 yo Niece wants a Mini Max :) its funny how her somewhat picky eating changes when something comes off the egg

Made some stuffed portabellos a couple weeks ago and from a girl that wont get in the same room with a mushroom ate almost a whole one
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SGH
    Options
    @Austin Egghead @llrickman‌ @HendersonTRKing‌ @SeahawksEGGHead‌
    Thank y'all from both of us for the kind words. She is really enjoying cooking on the egg. The little mini is perfect for her.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    Thanks from Ms SGH my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWesco
    JRWesco Posts: 57
    Options
    @SGH‌ did you get the sauce at the pig in wiggins?
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Damn I want a mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to Mrs. SGH on her 1st cook

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SGH
    Options
    @JRWesco‌
    I sure did. Here is a useful tip about Piggly Wiggly. They will order any spice, rub or sauce that you want if they don't stock it. This saves you the shipping costs. It's where I get both Bad Byron's and Blues Hog Sauce.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RAC‌
    Thanks brother. Thus far we love it. I hate to say it but @Mickey was correct about the mini. It is a steak cooking machine!! I'm doing ribs on it as we speak. Will post them when done.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Told you so :-B
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    Yes sir you did. Wish I would have listened to you 2 and 1/2 years ago. Live and learn as they say. I'm looking for another mini for myself now.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Options
    @Mickey‌ Yes sir you did. Wish I would have listened to you 2 and 1/2 years ago. Live and learn as they say. I'm looking for another mini for myself now.
    Couple of years ago I had two Minis. Just didn't use the pair that much. Two Larges and a Mini seem yo be my comfort level. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    I would be satisfied with the one mini but she has claimed it for "herself" as it were. I try to stay on her good side my friend. Hey they way I see it you can't have to many eggs! I'm going to look at a mini tonight that a guy has. Only wants 125 dollars for it. If it's in good shape it's a done deal my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Options
    Yes. That's a deal

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    Quick question. He says he has used the mini almost daily for over 2 years. Says all it needs is a new gasket. Would you be concerned over the age and amount of use? For 125 I still think it's a excellent purchase.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    edited August 2014
    Options
    My Mini has not had a gasket for over 3 years. Bet it is old style hinge. Will cost $75 I think to replace if you want. Also you can't get a Mini Woo unless you find someone selling an old one. Check base for cracks as well as guts. Be sure and check around where old flower pot nest held it if he used that one.

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    Did the size of the mini change? I have heard others make the same reference about the Woo not working on some mini 's. What is the problem at hand with the Woo not working?

Status- Standing by.

• JRWesco
    JRWesco Posts: 57
    Options
    @SGH‌ good to know, thanks man
  • SGH
    Options
    @JRWesco‌
    I'm not sure on this. Just repeating what I have heard. I'm hoping Mickey can shed some light on the subject as I would really like a woo for my mini.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @JRWesco‌
    I just realized that you were referring to the Piggly Wiggly info. Sorry about that my friend. They will hook you up with whatever you want if they don't have it. And you are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Options
    Yes the grid size changed 3 times. So the new Mini Woo will only fit the new Grid. The Mini Woo the best acc to be had.