Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Jerkey

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This weekend I made some High Mountain Brisket Jerkey. I've had the seasoning mix for awhile and have made quite a bit of jerkey with it but this is the first time I've used it on Brisket and the first time I've let it cure (though not on purpose) for about a week, I think that made a difference. I have the cajun mix High Mountain seasoning. I cooked about 7 pounds of it indirect for about 7 hours, flipping every 45 minutes or so, smoked liberally with 4 chunks of soaked hickory. It was awesome. That High Mountain jerkey seasoning is pretty good stuff and a 4 dollar package will cure about 50 pounds of meat. I've only used the cajun flavor but will try others when this pack is gone.[p]Troy

Comments

• sprinter, where did you buy this High Mountain jerky mix?

• sprinter
    one feral kat,[p]I picked it up at the local Wal Mart, by the meat case. I've not looked for it in quite awhile, not sure if they still carry it or if its in a different place, but I know they had a bunch of it the first time I saw it there.[p]Troy
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    sprinter,[p]I made brisket jerky this weekend too, using Gfw's soy/maple syrup marinade and red oak/apple for smoke. Incredible.[p]How did you fit 7 lbs. of thin-sliced meat into the Egg? I only did about 3 lbs. and that took some maneuvering.[p]Cathy

• sprinter
    Cat,[p]I have the butcher cut mine about an 1/8th inch thick, then I just make a big pile on the grate and turn it every 45 minutes or so. I use Gfw's trick of using 2 grates, placing one on top of the other and pancake the meat between them. Then I just flip the whole thing over and rotate it. After awhile the pile becomes more manageable as the meat shrinks a bit, then just use tongs and flip it and move the inner meat to the edges so it gets done well also. takes a bit of maneuvering but its pretty easy with that second grate. Pile it as high as you want, then just flip it. It also makes it easy to pick out some of the smaller, more well done pieces to test during the cook. An absolute necessity when I cook jerkey. hehehe[p]Troy
  • Cat
    sprinter,[p]That's how I did it. I was thinking one of the BGE grill extenders might be useful for making jerky in quantity... this small batch I did is not going to last very long.[p]Cathy

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    sprinter,
    In Michigan, Krogers also carries it. The meat manager thought it would go bad or something(a perservitive go bad?) so he marked them down to $1.99 a box. I now own 6 boxes. Used it for years and like it. I do the same thing at Kroger. When round steak is on sale I buy 20 LBs and have it sliced thin. go home sort, cut out the bad stuff, salt and let it set for a week. Yes it does make a difference. I also hang the jerkey on tooth picks and do all 20 LBs at a time. The only time I use the New Brunfels smoker any more.

• Cat
    one feral kat,[p]You can order from their site.[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Hi Mountain Jerky[/ul]
  • sprinter
    Cat,[p]I've never had any trouble fitting a pretty good size batch of beef into the egg. I sometimes can touch the jerkey through the chimney its stacked so high but then it takes too long to cook the batch. 5-7 pounds is a pretty average size jerky batch for me and it usually is gone quickly. I have more of that brisket cut up and I think I'll do a batch of River City again. That was the first jerky I ever did and that flavor still sticks in my head, good stuff.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    MAC,[p]Thanks, I've not ever looked for it at Kroger, its right next to Wal mart here in town.[p]Troy
  • Cat, thanks for the suggestion. I was just looking to future jerky. Right now I still have about 2# left from Gfw modified River City recipe I made about three weeks ago and you're right, that's goooood stuff! ^oo^~