Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show Us Your Cast Iron

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Yes, it's room temp.  This stuff is more than fond.  It becomes a blotchy, raised seasoning.
    What do you think?  Benadryl?  
    :D
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• prodraft1954
    Options
    +1 on the Lodge finish being to rough.
  • Focker
    Options
    Have always steered clear of adding water to a hot pan due to thermal shock and possible cracking.

May have to try this on a Lodge. lol 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    +1 on the Lodge finish being to rough.
    Cook on it long enough and the texture will wear....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Eggcelsior touched on this, but when possible I try to clean the pan while it is still hot. If I sear a couple of steaks or burgers I use a potholder and put in just a little water so it steams and then I can get most stuff off.  

Sometimes you want to serve in the pan.  It looks cool, and it keeps the food warm. 

This was awesome, but after my 4th helping the pan had cooled and it was a little harder to clean. 

That's where boiling water really helps IMO.  The chainmail looks like a good option as well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Focker said:
    Have always steered clear of adding water to a hot pan due to thermal shock and possible cracking.

Meh.. Don't bring it straight off a hells sear or anything, but the water will bring off those stuck on pieces and will allow you to clean better.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • prodraft1954
    Options
    Smokeypit, that looks awesome
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Focker said:

@Eggcelsior or NPHuskerFL,

Any input?
    I usually clean it up while it's still hot too. But, if it has cooled the most I've had to do is boil out, nylon brush, wooden or plastic scraper, dry and lightly oil before putting it away. I haven't personally tried the Kosher salt scrub. My CI is fairly non stick. To be honest most of the time I'm able to basically rinse, dry, oil, wipe out and put it away. Some of my CI is pre 60s and some from 70s and my pie pan is from last year. But, even the newest one with sticky caramelized goo comes clean easily. I just use them a lot.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Focker said:

Thermal shock would be an issue putting a hot pan into a sink full of cold water. Not so much with the other way around.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    You're bascially running water into the pan as if you're de-glazing the pan.  I assure you that cracking will not occur if the pan is hot.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Here is my 1860 ish pan handed down through the family with scallops loaded on it.

photo 27504B54-D4D7-406F-9391-398D66ED5E0C_zpsaqm0bq8t.jpg

photo ED63D4FF-02AE-4E85-8565-915158EF614D_zpsxbfdwf9j.jpg

And my fathers day gift from my mom this year.
    photo CE9D77A6-1C25-4F33-8A0D-43E51E4A5E7F_zpsfibx3scn.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    8" and two 12" heirloom pans, large Wok, a Lodge grill/skillet and a 6QT (I think) DO. Use them all the time. Only pic I have is of the wok and DO nestled in it. I LOVE that wok, it weighs about 20lbs and makes and excellent weapon.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Last night I left the griddle on the egg closed up while we ate. Later I took it off and it was still hot as the egg was showing 200 still. Anyway I took it to the sink with a towel wrapped around the handle and washed with soap and just a paper towel after some scraping with my metal spatula. Got the big stuff off and looked pretty good until I dried it and noticed a layer of black crud still in places. Broke out the Brillo at that point. Heat made it easier but no way was just soap and water going to get it completely clean. Maybe I'm just a clean freak about getting all the stuff off. It would be nice if the finish was smoother but I digress.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Why would you go through all that time boiling etc. when you could spend $20 for one of the ringers mentioned above and it will do the same thing in seconds? I have done every technique mentioned above prior to getting one and none work near as well and take 10 times as long.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I've been using the stainless "brillo" pads. they work great
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Dobie
    Options
    Lit said:

Why would you go through all that time boiling etc. when you could spend $20 for one of the ringers mentioned above and it will do the same thing in seconds? I have done every technique mentioned above prior to getting one and none work near as well and take 10 times as long.

Well at this point I have $15 into my Lodge griddle and not ready to spend $20 on a cleaning accessory yet but I appreciate the info. I'm sure the guys here with CI collections can benefit greatly from it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I have 23 pcs. of Lodge cast iron and use them daily. They are a little rough from the factory, but after use they become the most wonderful non-stick pans you could own, and they are great on the Egg for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Lit said:

There is no need to boil water. I just put enough to cover the bottom of the warm pan and rub the surface with a sponge or spatula. Everything is lifted in a few seconds. I pour off the water and wipe it out the excess then put it back on the heat to fully dry. Takes about 30 seconds. My water cost 0.00369 cents per gallon, so it will take a hell of a long time to break even with a tool that produces an equivalent result at best. I cannot fathom why people would have so many issues cleaning their CI cookware, other than it's not seasoned properly. Based on how you and Focker's CI appears in pics and the knowledge you guys have with CI, I doubt that this is the issue. 

If the ringer works for you, great. It is unnecessary for me.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    I am Jonesing for the Lodge Hibachi. Great for apps like Satay or Tuna.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Focker
    Options
    Lit said:

There is no need to boil water. I just put enough to cover the bottom of the warm pan and rub the surface with a sponge or spatula. Everything is lifted in a few seconds. I pour off the water and wipe it out the excess then put it back on the heat to fully dry. Takes about 30 seconds. My water cost 0.00369 cents per gallon, so it will take a hell of a long time to break even with a tool that produces an equivalent result at best. I cannot fathom why people would have so many issues cleaning their CI cookware, other than it's not seasoned properly. Based on how you and Focker's CI appears in pics and the knowledge you guys have with CI, I doubt that this is the issue. 

If the ringer works for you, great. It is unnecessary for me.
    My bad.  I forgot, your CI is Teflon coated.  >:)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    I've got 3 CI pans, one a hand me down from my grandmother. after each use I clean with water and a hard bristle brush or foil. I then heat it on a stove and dump some olive oil in it and spread it all around.

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    We have a CI cat fight, and i'm not in it.   :D

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Focker
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I am Jonesing for the Lodge Hibachi. Great for apps like Satay or Tuna.
    The Lodge Sportsman's Grill is a heavy, awkward tank.  The goofy handle and elevated grid design makes transferring difficult and the draft door and charcoal doors fall out easily.  Cleanup was a PITA.  A great searing machine though with a considerable amount of grid real estate with the oval design.  All of the coals burn out with each cook.   

Stripped, reseasoned and sold it for a small profit on craigslist.  FWIW, would buy another before getting a mini though. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    News to me! I never knew Wagner and Griswold hooked up with Dupont or Tefal. I must be killing my family with all those high-heat cooks. 
  • Focker
    Options
    They were custom dipped by Nola
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ok boys and girls, how's this? Last night I roasted potatoes in my 98 year old Mom's oven using her one and only CI skillet. No idea how old it is, but it is old... and perfectly seasoned.

Anyway, I cooked, she cleaned. I happened to look over when she was washing the CI. Using one of those coarse scrubbies and LOTS of SOAP!! I asked her about it and she just shrugged and said she'd always done it that way. She doesn't oil after washing either (but then, neither do I. ) Did I mention it was perfectly seasoned? Go figure. image

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rlnewman
    rlnewman Posts: 19
    edited August 2014
    Options
    This is a 10 inch lodge and had to cut off the handle as wellimage
    Grill4U

Loving Life!
  • Focker
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Ok boys and girls, how's this? Last night I roasted potatoes in my 98 year old Mom's oven using her one and only CI skillet. No idea how old it is, but it is old... and perfectly seasoned.

Anyway, I cooked, she cleaned. I happened to look over when she was washing the CI. Using one of those coarse scrubbies and LOTS of SOAP!! I asked her about it and she just shrugged and said she'd always done it that way. She doesn't oil after washing either (but then, neither do I. ) Did I mention it was perfectly seasoned? Go figure. image
    Haven't been afraid to use Dawn with cleaning to loosen things up.  My pieces that started looking like the one you have pictured turn dull after cleaning.

Guess we all need to cook some scrambled eggs tomorrow for breakfast in our best most seasoned piece, and revisit this post at 1000 with paper towels and water in hand. hahaha
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Mine never sees soap and will fry an egg with no problem. In fact, it almost never needs the scrubber.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Dobie
    Options
    OK I'm on the garage sale and estate sale circuit for the 100 year old cast iron holy grail. Self cleaning, impervious to sticking and cooks gourmet meals with no oil.
    Jacksonville FL