Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Nest Question

Options
I have a table I'm currently working on. The Egg will sit on a Table Nest and the Table Nest will sit on a 16"x16" concrete paver. The Egg will be stored under a covered patio. I am planning on cooking on an uncovered concrete patio that is adjacent to the covered patio. There is a 4" step down from covered to uncovered. I can gently move the Egg from one to the other by lifting up one end of the table but it will be at a slight angle until I can get the other end down the 4" step down. Does the Table Nest need to be anchored in some way to keep the Egg from shifting in the hole cut out and Table Nest or is the Egg heavy enough to keep everything from moving?

Comments

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I am sure you will need to anchor everything in place if you are planning to move it in those conditions.  I just assembled my medium in a table and put 8 fire bricks under the table nest.  The fire bricks are bonded to each other with RTV silicon.  Just moving it over a door threshold caused the Egg to shift within the hole in the table.  Not far mind you, but enough to require recentering.  Even with the paver anchored to the table and the table nest anchored to the paver you will still have the issue of the Egg shifting in the table nest.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yep +1 on what @bettysnephew‌ said in regards to shifting lifting over even just a door threshold. Movement is going to vary depending on angle and how big of gap there is around your egg. I'm not sure anchoring the nest would solve it all anyways because the egg is after all top heavy so it will still want to shift in the table hole gap. It will likely only be a miniscule shift but, each time you move it it's going to do it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tridogdude
    tridogdude Posts: 136
    Options
    Instead of the time you take to fasten the egg to the table for stability, would it be possible to fabricate some type of permanent or even a removable 4" ramp to move your egg from one spot to the next?
    A ramp may come in handy for things other than the egg as well. Sounds like it would not need to be that large with the dimensions you're describing.
  • Drunkonmeat
    Options
    I'll second this, longer the better.

Instead of the time you take to fasten the egg to the table for stability, would it be possible to fabricate some type of permanent or even a removable 4" ramp to move your egg from one spot to the next?
    A ramp may come in handy for things other than the egg as well. Sounds like it would not need to be that large with the dimensions you're describing.

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    +2 on @tridogdude 's suggestion =D>

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    What size wheels are planning to use?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    If that's going to be its permanent spot, put on pneumatic wheels.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    My egg in table nest will slide around a little on the ceramic tile just from repeatedly opening and closing the lid, let alone moving the table on its pneumatic tires. I think I solved that problem (so far) by making little pads for the table nest legs with some RTV silicone, flattening it under some waxed paper, and letting it dry. If that doesn't do it, I'm going to have to drill through the bottom shelf and the ceramic tile to match up the holes in the two pre-drilled legs of the table nest and bolt the thing down.

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice set up you have there
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Maccool
    Options
    Thank you. I wrestled with the concept of granite vs composite vs stainless steel. VERY pleased with the stainless steel. A little pre-cook scrub with some BarKeeper's Friend and wipe down with some rubbing alcohol and it's a great prep surface, including rolling out pizza dough.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    How often do you need to put air in wheels?
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Maybe get some shims, or a couple of rubbermaid door stops and simply snug the egg in the opening while moving it from one spot to another, then remove them before cooking...
  • lombard
    lombard Posts: 23
    Options
    Cook in the covered patio.  That's what I do...no moving required.
  • Maccool
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    How often do you need to put air in wheels?
    Every now and then...not often. Air compressor cart, pressure washer, hand trucks, etc. They go flat periodically and can be a PITA. I have a lot of little rolling stock carts that use those 4.10/3.5-4. 5/8" diameter hole tires. I've been replacing them with the solid rubber ones http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J6A4S8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Just curious, they roll a lot better than the solid wheels but for most decks/patios the hard wheels work fine.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Maccool, how about putting a handle on end away from the wheels?

• Maccool
    Options
    @Tspud

I originally used pneumatic because it allowed me to level by adding or removing air from one or the other. That became not a problem once the whole cart had "matured". And, on rare occasions, I have hauled the thing behind my garden tractor to a neighborhood picnic. I have an attachment with a pin hook that lets me get the legs off the ground and attach to the tow point on the tractor. If you think you're paranoid about pot holes while driving your car....

I thought about a handle, but I rarely move the thing so I skipped it.