Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock

Options

This is the first spatchcock chicken I have done. Was a last minute decision just to try it. Rubbed with butter. Then sprinkled with paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Was just at temp at this pic. Opened egg up and flipped to crisp the skin. Turned out pretty fair. Needed more seasoning. Just not sure what. SOrry didnt get a pic of finished product. And yes those are Diet Dr. Pepper cans I used to elevate rack. Thanks to you guys I figured that out. Well y'all said beer cans (and this may be sacrilege), but I never cared for beer in a can.

Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options

Well y'all said beer cans (and this may be sacrilege), but I never cared for beer in a can.

I hear ya. There are a few good breweries putting beer in cans now (ballast point is one) but I'll always take a cold one in a bottle over a can.

Good job on the bird! Looks delicious. If you're looking for a bit more flavor on the bird I would add the following to what ya had on there as a start: onion powder, celery salt, basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and a touch of red pepper flakes. Mix in with olive oil in a bowl and rub under and over the skin.

If you're looking for a more bbq flavor try dizzy pigs raging River, or look on the naked whiz website for his rub "now this is what I like". Both have fantastic bbq profiles for poultry.

Welcome to the party pal <:-P
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌ Thanks. I will try that next time. Appreciate the advice.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Hunter1881‌ almost forgot: fresh garlic is a must with the savory rub listed above. I'd toss 2-3 coves on for a 3-5 lb bird. 5-7 for a 5-8 lb roaster. Mix in the garlic with the rest and rub under and over the skin (the fresh garlic comes out wonderful when placed under the skin).

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Dizzy Dust is a can't miss. A light oil rub then generous rub. I let mine sit for a couple hours in the fridge then 30 minute at room temp to take the chill off. 350 for 50 minutes - gold! 

Love the beer cans, more manly than my three bricks to rise the grate! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Mickey`s coffee rub is the grand champion on chicken.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will look into all both of those.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fine looking bird you got there. I think the Dr. Pepper cans adds a little flare to the egg! Excellent job all around.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Hunter, you didn't say how it was?

Well?!?   How did it stack up against other chickens you have made, the rotisseries in the food store or that popular Peruvian chicken you can find all over now  (that stuff is good, I have to get a good Peruvian chicken rub recipe)

Thanks for the pic and soda can idea!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Once you spatchcock, you never go back...

For more flavor, peel the skin up and get rub on the meat under the skin.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ it was the best chicken I have ever cooked.....by far. Even the white meat had plenty of juice. And I can't say I have ever had the Peruvian chicken yet. @DMW‌ you are right and it is easy. I will have to try and peel the skin next time.
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    @SGH‌ thanks. The dp cans were on hand. But shouldn't be needed again. Just ordered AR R&B combo from CGS. Now just need a Thermapen.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Hunter1881‌
    The AR is money well spent. You will enjoy it. It will open up several cooking options that you have been missing out on. Congratulations.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.