Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled corn on the cob ideas?

Options
Anyone have a simple method to grill corn on the cob on the egg? I will be cooking a spatchcock chicken tomorrow evening and thinking about adding some corn. I will be cooking the chicken at 400, raised direct.

Thanks
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    I just throw it on the grill, husks and all. The silk etc is easier to strip off after it's cooked up.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I remove the silk, roll the husk back over the corn and cook till husk start to burn up a bit.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I par boil them, then pour butter over them before going on the egg. Turning till caramelized then back in the butter.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I do the same too with the husks on the corn until the corn is cooked, Then lower the raised cooking grates and de-husk the corn, kinda sear the corn until I get some roasted kernels. Take it out and cut a lemon in half and dip the halved lemon in a mix of cayenne & salt rub and then smother the lemon on the corn.

Something similar:
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I peel the husk back, remove the silk, the majority of it at least, then roll the husk back and I soak them in water for five minutes or so. Then just throw them on the grill! It helps the corn kind of steam in the husk. Very simple.
    NW IOWA
  • GOT_BGE
    GOT_BGE Posts: 3
    Options
    I soak them in water for about an hour then throw them on with the husks on.  When they are done, take them off, and let them sit for a few minutes.  Cut off the stalk end and the corn will slip right out of the husk with very little if any silk. 
  • Big50
    Big50 Posts: 39
    Options
    I husk mine and coat it with melted butter and old bay seasoning and then wrap it in foil and throw it on the egg for about 25 minutes flipping it once...family loves it!
    Alexandria, KY
  • Boatswain
    Options
    Peel the husks and toss them on at about 400 direct, turn them occasionally till a nice char and pull them. Lather with butter, mayonnaise, and cotija cheese and sprinkle with chili powder. Try not to pee your pants.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What Boatswain said. Peel 400 direct. Very easy cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Try coating the corn with lime butter and salt before grilling.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i husk and throw in a chunk of apple at about 350-400 until you get some charred bits.  the smoke adds a nice sweetness.  slather with mayo, some cotija cheese, chili powder and some lime pretty legit meal in itself because you cant eat just one!
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Husk on. But I peel back coat with butter , use New Mexico red chile rub then on egg raised at 400 when finished little more butter , rub and Queso fresco
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I remove the husk, apply butter, salt and pepper and cook in tin foil on the egg.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Google "possum korn". Saw it on the BBQ Brethren site last week.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Remember, corn doesn't digest. The way it goes in ..... well, you know
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I have a BBQ pit with rotisserie that we can do about 10-12 chickens at a time.  When the chickens are close to being done, I put angle irons across the pit and then some old grates for the corn. Usually soak the corn in cold water for an hour or so and about 20 minutes on the grates...perfect every time.  Lump charcoal of course.  Will do the same on my egg but will probably be even better.  Very easy,always good. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Maccool said:
    I just throw it on the grill, husks and all. The silk etc is easier to strip off after it's cooked up.
    Try This!!!! The silk helps steam the corn in the husk, I go 40/45 minutes at 350/375 indirect, you will need heat resistance gloves to clean it but it comes out Great!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    GOT_BGE said:
    I soak them in water for about an hour then throw them on with the husks on.  When they are done, take them off, and let them sit for a few minutes.  Cut off the stalk end and the corn will slip right out of the husk with very little if any silk. 
    Years ago friends in Villa Park asked us to a corn roast, we always boiled corn. For those that prefer corn skewers or serving as a side dish the technique of @GOT_BGE works, otherwise, just pull off the husk and silk from the top leving the husk on (like a banana), dip in butter and you are ready to eat.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'm in the husk on, throw it on the Egg direct, turn a few times for about 30 minutes. Cut the fat end, away from the silk, and squeeze the cob out. Silk stays behind. The most important thing is the corn needs to be fresh. I prefer 'bread and butter corn' a mix of yellow and white. Best this year was from the local Amish Farmers Market, picked just hours before I cooked it. Amazing corn I wish I could duplicate it year round.
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Seapointbakers
    Options
    Pull off the husk and silk, lay on foil then coat with olive oil and Old Bay. Wrap in foil then throw on the egg. Lots of Old Bay.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i just put it on the grill hair husks and all, rotate when the bottom starts to brown. i want to smell the husks burning but not the corn cooking, once you smell the corn your over cooking it, its hard to explain the difference in smell. for what its worth i use the gasser for corn, it just fits better when cooking alot of ears
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I pull the husk back remove the silk and smear with mayo. Sprinkle with generous amount of favorite seasoning.
    Pull the husks back up around the corn.
    Cook on bge raised grill direct.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I husk and de silk them, brush with oil (any vegetable oil is fine, no need for EVOO) and cook direct for 10-15 min at about 300-350, turning every few minutes, just until they start to roast and the kernels look plump. Easy to go too far and the kernels shrivel up. Then salt and butter.

But with all these awesome ideas above me I have some new ways to do it!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • prodraft1954
    Options
    Just did 24 ears on my lbge last night, Soaked in sugar water for 30 minutes, removed tassle top and most of stalk end. Raised direct at 375 for about 30 minutes, rotating every 10 minutes. husks were just syarting to burn. Outstanding
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Husk, slather with butter, salt and smoked paprika. Wrap in foil. 20 minutes or so, rolling around a few times.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    In the Husk, out of the husk, half way out of the husk peeled back slightly for presentation. In a CI pan, in foil w/ ice cubes, butter and minimal seasoning gives a great steaming effect. Skewered with proteins.Fried in a deep fryer. As part of a crabboil or low country boil. And these are just a few ways I've done it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Remember, corn doesn't digest. The way it goes in ..... well, you know
    we call that 'tracer corn'
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I usually just cut the tip off to get rid of the external silk before putting it on the gasser. Rotate every few min over med/high head until I've burned the outside husks somewhat uniformly.

Either brush with a fresh jalapeno/lime compound butter or rub with a lime and sprinkle chili powder and salt

If the corn is really, really fresh, we'll strip it and drop into boiling water for 2 min, pull out and eat right away with just a little butter.  When it's fresh enough, this is best and we usually just have a corn course to our meal either before or after everything else, but it has to be fresh.  Did I say use fresh corn?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Legume‌ blasphemy "gasser" [-(
    :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL