Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When you don't have your egg...

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited August 2014 in Off Topic
You do the best you can. I've been at Mom's house for about a month now. Just lookin' out for the old girl. She turned 98 on the 4th of July. Anyway, she has no egg and I didn't bring mine so I've had to make do. We've had some great meals, but tonight's was probably the best since I got here.

Spatched a chicken on her Weber using coffee rub. No idea what temp. Shoved the (Kingsford) coals to one side and cooked part indirect and part direct. Flipped a few times. More of a PITA than on the egg, but every bit as tasty!!!

Sides included peas with sautéed shallots and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Roasted red potatoes with garlic and rosemary. Also burnt tomatoes with oil, s&p and oregano (courtesy of Argentina's Francis Mallmann).

The longer I stay here, the better I get with the kettle. MY T FINE stuff!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Mama Roneck
    Options
    Ain't nothing wrong with a kettle and briquettes!  Can turn out great meals, but like you said, just with a little more effort.  Even with three eggs, we still generally do the T'giving turkey on the kettle.  For some reason, it seems to come out better on there.
    Mamaroneck
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ I solved this and moved my Mom from NE to here in FL. She runs circles around most people. She's like a hummingbird on crack. :))
    Ya okay I'm a Mamas boy so what :-). Love my Mom B-)

imageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Perhaps a mini Egg is your future...God bless your mom ---98 yrs old.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Ain't nothing wrong with a kettle and briquettes!  Can turn out great meals, but like you said, just with a little more effort.  Even with three eggs, we still generally do the T'giving turkey on the kettle.  For some reason, it seems to come out better on there.

You can even use lump in a kettle. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Very good son you are! Friend of mine does amazing thinks with his weber kettle. God Bless and enjoy the time cooking with mom

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Why is the above post off topic?? :-?

Anyhow, sounds like your mom is a lot of fun! I love mine but if she lives to 98 I'll commit myself. 8-}
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    That is awesome man! At 98 years old, I am sure she has seen many things in her life and is well worth your cooks!  I can only hope my mother lives to that age.  

Those Webers have produced some good food though!  The Egg is a tool.  A good cook can use any tool essentially and produce great cooks.  

I am with @Jeremiah, should be in the main.   

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, I posted in OT cuz I didn't use an egg. Wouldn't want to upset the purists. :) As for a mini in my future, I already have one-just didn't bring it. Mom's slowing down a bit, but still active. She's out with a friend having lunch at the moment. Friend is just a young'n... only 80something. :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut