Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Modified Smokeware cap

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,518
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Makes it easier for me to relearn the top vent setting.

canuckland

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That's pretty cool! If I was there, I would have bought one.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great idea. Remember the patent office.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Fred, I missed out at the fest but Dickson brought in a special batch of 12 couple of weeks ago.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Tulocay - I've seen some egg knockoffs that have scaled markings on the upper or lower vents. 
    canuckland
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I look at all event swag the same. If I wasn't there, it loses appeal for me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Options
    True.  If I'm a betting man I'd say Niagara may have a special edition cap too.
    canuckland
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point.  I like the idea that you can dial in a temperature by setting the opening to a predetermined dimension.  It probably changes slightly depending on the outside temperature and the lower vent opening.  Need to have a tape measure there too!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Apparently you live somewhere that the wind doesn't blow or blows at a constant speed. I've been using a Smoke Ware cap now for 16 months now and while there are some general openings they have never been consistent. Sometime the vents are wide open to reach 320 and other times I can cruise at 400 with only a smidgen open.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @RRP agree, other variables could be how you load the lump, type of lump, how many spots you lit, etc. etc.  not so useful for setting the vent between cooks, but sure is useful for chasing temps within the same cook, no?   :D

with DFMT you have a good visual of the () petal size and how far you're sliding the disc, using the edge of the base as reference,

with Smokeware it's way harder (for me anyway) to get a feel for the rectangular black holes under the cap.
    canuckland
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Somebody just make a handle that slips over the one on the SW cap and doesn't fry my hand on high temp cooks. I bump it around with tongs most the time.
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Somebody just make a handle that slips over the one on the SW cap and doesn't fry my hand on high temp cooks. I bump it around with tongs most the time.
    I assume you have the protective tab cover. OTOH I used to have that burn problem until it dawned on me to keep the tab out of harms way and it will not get nearly as hot. Look closely how the tab is always adjusted so it stands to the left of the opening and not directly in the opening.image

• Dobie
    Options
    RRP said:
    Dobie said:
    I assume you have the protective tab cover. OTOH I used to have that burn problem until it dawned on me to keep the tab out of harms way and it will not get nearly as hot. Look closely how the tab is always adjusted so it stands to the left of the opening and not directly in the opening.

I do have the rubber tab but its not enough on high temps for my little digits no matter how I adjust it. Need an L shaped handle that will slip over the tab and move further away from the vent
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    Options
    why not just just screw on, or bolt on an extender made of wood? A simple saw kerf would be wide enough to slip over the metal tab once you remove the protective tab. Then just drill a hole through them.
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Dobie said:

RRP said:

Dobie said:

I assume you have the protective tab cover. OTOH I used to have that burn problem until it dawned on me to keep the tab out of harms way and it will not get nearly as hot. Look closely how the tab is always adjusted so it stands to the left of the opening and not directly in the opening.

I do have the rubber tab but its not enough on high temps for my little digits no matter how I adjust it. Need an L shaped handle that will slip over the tab and move further away from the vent

Run without it on high temp. Control with just the bottom vent.

LBGE

BTFU!

• RRP
    edited August 2014
    Options

Here's what I just made...
  • Dobie
    Options
    RRP said:
    why not just just screw on, or bolt on an extender made of wood? A simple saw kerf would be wide enough to slip over the metal tab once you remove the protective tab. Then just drill a hole through them.
    Yep I will have to fab something up.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    @RRP let me know how that works. I've been looking around the house at handles I could modify. Just something to relocate the position away from the vent opening.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    A temporary solution:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Dobie
    Options
    @Botch I've considered small vicegrips ! It's the redneck in me :)
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Dobie said:
    @RRP let me know how that works. I've been looking around the house at handles I could modify. Just something to relocate the position away from the vent opening.
    I think it will work fine. That was just a piece of 3/4" diameter dowel that I cut at 1" length, and ran the end against a saw to cut the slot. Friction will keep it in place so I'm not sure I will even bother to attach it with a screw of bolt.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Neat idea Ron. =D>
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    RRP said:

Dobie said:

I think it will work fine. That was just a piece of 3/4" diameter dowel that I cut at 1" length, and ran the end against a saw to cut the slot. Friction will keep it in place so I'm not sure I will even bother to attach it with a screw of bolt.

Yes, but will it enhance the cap's inherent coolness?
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I just offered a suggestion to solve his burnt finger problem. I have no intention of using that knob that I made in 1 minute today myself.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Hey Ron!  I have a Smokeware cap and I keep the handle to the left as you suggest and that works for me.  I didn't mean to put you on defense.  That was quick thinking with that dowel and a nice chamfer. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Neat idea Ron. =D>
    I second that opinion.

In fact, I nominate RRP for the Smart Idea of the Week award.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.