Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How often?

Options
2»

Comments

• SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Options
    I was using my BGE 4-5 times a week, but unfortunately I work evenings now ( :(( ) so my egging is reserved for the weekends. I try to make it count though!
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    If there were 8 days a week, I would use it 8 times

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • Metalmaker
    Metalmaker Posts: 16
    Options
    I use mine 3-4 times per week and this may seem strange, maybe not, but sometimes even if we're having leftovers I'll fire it up and put on a piece of hickory or maple just because I like sitting there with a beer and smelling the smoke.
    Cookin' outside in central Minnesota
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I would cook on it every day if I could. I often work late and don't have time, but there have been weekends where I cook every day.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    When I work nights, only once a week maybe, hoping my mini changes that for burgers and dogs.
    When I work afternoons, not at all that week.
    When I work days, 2-3 times a week.
    If I am off, probably every other day or so.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • DougA
    DougA Posts: 12
    Options
    When ever I can make smoke roll out the top with meat on the grids
  • Chkultr
    Chkultr Posts: 31
    Options
    Holy Smokes! Thank you to all that have responded. Now the only decision to make is a LBGE or a XLBGE!  It is just the two of us on the weekends. The wife works out of town 3-4 days a week! During the summer this is the house everyone comes to! Actually for all of the family functions this is the house they come to. July 4th is a BIG To Do here! I cook ribs, burgers, hot dogs...and then what ever someone may bring over for themselves. Will the LBGE cook enough at once? Do I need to get the XLBGE and feel like I don't want to fire up such a large grill for two? Do you buy a SBGE and a LBGE?

Pros and Cons for either model?
    1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I still use the gas grill for hot dogs and frozen burgers. That is it. Whenever time is more important than taste.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

replacing burners and replacing the whole gas grill every four years is one reson to justify the egg which should last forever.   I have the XL.  two people most of the time,  lots of room for a variety of items at same time... get the biggest you can afford, you wont be sorry.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Get the Egg. You'll be happy you did and wonder why you didn't get one before. And you will cook on it more than you think you will. From previous responses you can see that it is not uncommon to use it 4-5 times a week. Our use has slowed down recently as the wife works later at her new job and with Dallas traffic its hard to predict when she'll be home and when she walks in the door she is hungry and wants to eat NOW (don't mess with a momma-to-be). Last night, I used the over size clock in the kitchen to make King Ranch Chicken, but the chicken was cooked on the Egg (and yes, we've done King Ranch Chicken on the Egg before). Tonight will be burgers on the Egg (trying out a new to me fish sauce that was sent to me recently), tomorrow will be grilled chicken breasts (haven't decided how yet) and haven't put much thought in to the rest of the week yet but I'm planning on cooking on it Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chkultr
    Options
    Sold on the BGE. Thanks so much for the comments. I read everyone uses a therma pen. Does anyone have an opinion on the maverick et-733?
    1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Chkultr said:
    Sold on the BGE. Thanks so much for the comments. I read everyone uses a therma pen. Does anyone have an opinion on the maverick et-733?
    We all have opinions, just ask about what brand of lump to use. :))

As far as the ET-733, I have the prior ET-732. Works fine, but completely different tool/purpose than the Thermapen. The ET732/733 is a leave in dual probe wireless monitor. It can monitor both food and egg temp, and can have alarms set to warn you if low/high temps are hit.

The Thermapen is an instant read (2-3 seconds) thermometer. A less expensive, but slower, option from the same company is Thermapop (5-6).

IMHO Maverick for low n slows, Thermapen for hot/fast grilling.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bigirish
    bigirish Posts: 36
    Options
    I use it 4-5 nights a week.  I haven't taken the cover off the gasser since I got the egg!  I was just mentioning that I should roll that thing to the curb next garbage night.

As for thermapen, it's probably the second best investment after the egg itself!
  • Chkultr
    Options
    It was suggested by a neighbor that has a XLBGE and other grills that I should get this product. This is why I asked about the Maverick.

Should I be looking at this instead?

Thanks again for all of the help. I am now looking at table designs....I feel a new addiction coming on!!

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Mine runs SO much that I seriously consider letting it run 24/7 and just keep adding charcoal...
  • Chkultr
    Options
    PURCHASED the Large BGE yesterday. Building a table for it now. Should have the grill put together and in the table this week! Have to actually. Have company coming into town from Ohio!
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Welcome aboard and make sure to post some pictures.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing what you do! Welcome to the lifestyle.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    So I got my table 98% finished and my LBGE set up last Thursday. Fired it up after a nasty store blew threw and cooked just two pieces of boneless chicken breast. Friday night I cooked two pork tenderloins and roasted some potatoes. Saturday I had a good crowd over for a cook out and I made to order and cooked to order stuffed burgers! Out of the 14 burgers, not a one had to go back in the BGE because it wasn't cooked the way they wanted. This thing is amazing! They were surprised they could get a well done (yuck) burger and it still be moist and juicy! 

No complaints here! 

Pictures coming soon!
  • Swamppro
    Swamppro Posts: 31
    Options
    I got my XL as I was tired of replacing grills. Last big charcoal pit I had was a great cooker but cheaply made. Never did like gas. I have been looking at the BGE for awhile and when my wife and I went and saw them she was all about it. Cooked for the first time on it last night and could not be happier. I usually bbq 3-4 times a week
    XL BGE Metairie, La
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    3 to 5 times a week
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• joe004
    joe004 Posts: 15
    Options
    I've only had mine for a month and look for any reason in the world to fire it up and cook.
    Joe (lrg egg,mavrick ET-73, placesetter)
    Cabot, Ar
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I lit my egg one Saturday morning and my wife asked what are we cooking?....My reply.... I am not sure I am still thinking..Any excuse and that baby is fired up..
    :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    If you ain't egging' you ain't eating
    New Albany, Ohio 

• prodraft1954
    Options
    4-5 cooks a week, winter ,summer, rain or shine.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Wilma works nights and I work days so she wants supper on the table about 20 minutes after I get home from work.  No time to even clear the VOC's.  I get to cook about twice a week usually and egg about as often.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Not as much as I'd like!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    Almost every day for just about everything. Burgers, steaks, chicken (whole, leq quarrters, breasts, wings), veggies, salmon, paella, kabobs, quesadillas, etc. in addition to low-and-slow ribs, brisket & butts. I cook bacon and fried chicken on it so I don't mess up the kitchen with grease. I've done cornbread on there.

Get one: you will find it to be much easier to use that you seem to think. It will take 5-10 cooks to figure out the best method and the timing of starting your fire and getting heat right, but it's not too difficult to get it down pat.

Plus, we're always all here for each other.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    New Albany, Ohio 

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    I am down to three times each week. However, I cook at least 25 pounds of beef/poultry/fish each time I fire it up. I try to maximize efficiency each time it is being used.

Leftovers are vac-sealed and frozen. This is very handy and beneficial for a busy household of eight! 
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose