Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show Us Your Cast Iron

Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,354
I bought a small Lodge griddle for searing burgers and cooking down onions and like it but probably need to lop the handle off. I'm thinking about a larger deeper skillet or D/O maybe for a whole bird or roast and add some veggies in it. It would be nice to find about a 2-3 inch deep CI skillet with out the long handle that would fit in a large egg with the Woo. In this application I would not worry about extra grate space so it can be faily large as long as it fits on the woo.
Are you guys using large CI pieces on your eggs?
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• I've got the bge 18 inch CI grid, a 13.5 inch craycort ci grid and 3 ci skillets and a ci plate a buddy cut out of an old 20 inch griddle , love them all. 90% of my cooks are on CI.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

You can see some of my pans here. I don't cut the handles off them since they are mostly old Griswold pieces. I believe the 2 in the front of this pic are #9 and #10 griswold. I have a full writing lid for the #9 its my nicest skillet. Its a large letter slant with a fire ring.image

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Oh yeah those are corn bread pizzas I did on the egg in the skillets. Here's a pic of the skillet and cover with more cornbread about to go on the egg.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I use only antique CI and have no intention of cutting off a handle. No Lodge for me. :) My skillets range from a #3 to #12 (5 1/2" to 11 1/2" PLUS the length of the handle), so I can always find something that fits both the food and the Large. Here in New England, antique CI is cheaper than Lodge too! Which is great cuz I don't much like Lodge. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    The most important cast iron
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2014
    This is steel. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Lodge. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dobie
    I'm thinking something like this that will fit on the grate beteeen the large Woo handles.

Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    @Lit that cornbread makes we some some.
    @Carolina Q whats the dislike of Lodge?
    @WeberWho I like the way you think.
    @Mickey that's pretty sweet.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie

I've got the bge 18 inch CI grid, a 13.5 inch craycort ci grid and 3 ci skillets and a ci plate a buddy cut out of an old 20 inch griddle , love them all. 90% of my cooks are on CI.
    Whats he use to cut it?
    Jacksonville FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @Dobi see this thread:  
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160030/lodge-skillets

That 17 inch lodge will not quite fit on the large (dome won't close) unless you trim the handles.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have a couple of skillets, a dutch oven, and one of these:

That guy comes in pretty handy for stuff like fajitas or searing.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dobie
    @SmokeyPitt I figured out that 17 Lodge wasn't going to fit as the rim of the LBGE is about 19.5 inches across and the handles of the Woo are even less. Doesn't have to be Lodge brand but a 15 inch with the small handles on each side would work. Figured somone here must have one. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    edited August 2014
    I have a couple of skillets, a dutch oven, and one of these:

That guy comes in pretty handy for stuff like fajitas or searing.  
    I like that griddle too but need something deeper.
    Jacksonville FL
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Gotta dig the cast iron griddle for blackening.  Pic is bayou classic two sided griddle (flat side) on spider in xl. Only problem with two sided cast iron pieces is generally end up with only one good side as the side that typically faces the lump takes a beating and ends up rusting. 

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Dobie
    @tjv whats the answer to my large deep skillet fitting inside the handles of a large Woo? I figure you're the Woo Master :)
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I use this lodge on my large. The dome won't close though. Sorry that it's dirty. Just used it.image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    @SGH that's the style I want just about 2 inches smaller across so the lid will close.
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Do they make one that style but smaller ? I would like one as well if they do. This is the only size I see on their site.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    I don't see another Lodge one that size, hoping someone on here has another source. They have a double Dutch oven with a reversible cover that would work but is smaller than I want.
    Jacksonville FL
  • JWF
    JWF Posts: 26
    @Dobie I've been looking for the same thing and ran across a Camp Chef Dutch oven with a lid that doubles as a skillet (link below). Dimensions are roughly 15 inches so would fit well on a large. I haven't pulled the trigger and don't know much about the brand but might be worthy of consideration! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camp-Chef-12-Quart-Grand-Canyon-Cast-Iron-Dutch-Oven/16487706
  • Dobie
    Sweating down some onions on my griddle
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    @JWF not sure about that top with legs and handle
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    CI grid, 10" skillet, 10" pan and pie pan.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    JWF, camp chef is a chinese producer of cast iron cookware. We see a fair amount with the scouts at the various district meetings with other troops. We personally as a troop dont have any, but honestly i wouldnt shy away from it if the application fit. The casting are usually rougher around the edges but a little filing or right angle grinder with sandpaper will take care of it. It is possibly not as smooth on the surface as lodge due to the sand particle size they use for the pours. Again this is not a big deal at all. It is considerably less expensive than lodge and better made than some of our "Antiques" that are still in the troop. Snap it up if the application fits. It is the same manufacturer for cabelas, gander mountain etc. Lodge is the only manufacturer left in the usa. They do not private label pour, period.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Dobie
    edited August 2014
    @NPHuskerFL‌ we can always count on you to supply the cool pics.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Dobie‌ lol thanks man. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • freduc2
    freduc2 Posts: 73
    This is what I use on the egg. 12 quart that the lid can be flipped over and used as a skillet.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited August 2014
    10 inch skillet but had to cut handle off to for but its a wally world lodge. Then my grandma's #3 Griswold and #6 Wagner. Not pictured is a 5 and 7 quart DO lodge
    imageimage

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Jstroke said:

JWF, camp chef is a chinese producer of cast iron cookware. We see a fair amount with the scouts at the various district meetings with other troops. We personally as a troop dont have any, but honestly i wouldnt shy away from it if the application fit. The casting are usually rougher around the edges but a little filing or right angle grinder with sandpaper will take care of it. It is possibly not as smooth on the surface as lodge due to the sand particle size they use for the pours. Again this is not a big deal at all. It is considerably less expensive than lodge and better made than some of our "Antiques" that are still in the troop. Snap it up if the application fits. It is the same manufacturer for cabelas, gander mountain etc. Lodge is the only manufacturer left in the usa. They do not private label pour, period.

Eagle Scout here.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.