Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch chick in the fridge - PREP?

Hey gang..

Have a spatch'd bird in the fridge for Egging tomorrow and am wondering..

I've heard you should rinse and leave in the fridge overnight for crispy skin.  OK, but should it be covered (maybe with plastic wrap) to prevent food flavors from other stuff in the fridge?  Or should it go fully "neked"?

TIA!
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• Fully naked. You want the skin to dry out as much as possible overnight. I leave it for 2 days when I can, but you'll get very good results after 24 hrs.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother Chilly called it right. Leave it uncovered. Be warned. Some times poultry/foul will take on a funny hue if you will. No need to be concerned though. This is only unpleasant to the eye while still raw. Once cooked the palate will more than appreciate the overnight sit uncovered. Works wonders for the skin my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Uncovered is it. But 80% of mine is last min (pull out of bag and toss on Egg) and still fine if you go 400 Direct and Raised.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Thanks guys..left the chick fully unclothed :) in the fridge overnight so will see how it goes.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Hey, in my opinion, these cook best if you don't put it on the egg straight out of the fridge. I usually grab a bird at whole foods, they butterfly it for me which is a great help. I bring it home, season it, and put it in a gallon ziplock. Light egg, get it to Like 600 deg, put in plate setter. When temp is at ~400 deg, I dump in some apple and pecan chunks, put the bird on, and close lid. Cook at 400 for 1 hour. Bird always temps to a perfect 165 for me. Good luck!!!!
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    If you take the bird out of the fridge prior to Egging, do you cover it with plastic wrap at that point to prevent bacteria?  I'd think that might undo some or all of the goodness of leaving it sit neked overnight..

How long should it sit out before putting it on the grill?

I put melted butter on the chick before and it seemed to really help the flavor and Dizzy Pig (Raging River) sticking..but will that screw up the crispiness of the skin now that it's been sitting uncovered in the fridge for the past ~24 hours>
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    It shouldn't. I use a splash of Olive oil rubbed over the skin to help the raging river adhere to the bird and the skin always comes out fantastic.

Melted butter sounds like it'd be tasty. I may have to try that next time.

Also I pull the bird from the fridge, rub with EVOO and rub and toss it right on the egg. I don't bother letting the bird sit out.