Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I was proven wrong.

Options

Comments

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I'll also mention that I just finished a 19 hour cook on a single load of Rockwood without being too picky about going through and selecting the largest pieces.  This included having to get back up to temp after an unexpected downpour on the egg.  It had enough left at the end to get a new batch going to grill my corn after the brisket was done.

(haven't tried OO yet but I'll probably grab some the next time I do a firecraft order)
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    @SGH thanks for the post. I switched from BGE lump to Rockwood many months ago, and I don't plan to use anything else. 

I love it! I am glad that you like it as well. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Good info. @Henapple had told me OO and RW were about even and I can buy Oo everyday at less than 6 bucks a bag so this just confirms theres no reason for me to search out anything different. And even though I can go to Harps any day, I still keep a nice stash cuz I never know when SOMEBODY might be passing through Benton, ARK and wipe out harp's entire stock.

Little Rock, AR

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    If anyone in MD (NW of DC) knows where to get either lump or is putting in an order, please let me know. I'm good for a couple bags!

I like the BGE lump smell and flavor. 
    I like the RO as well but routinely find rocks in it.  (I know it is the same stuff)
    FOGO Is nice as well.  Less ash, big pieces..though I didn't like the flavor it left behind on a very long smoke I did compared to BGE/RO.  So I have been using it for shorter cooks now and using the RO for low and slow.   I'll continue to work with it to make sure it is not some other factor in my cook (like fat drippings) that left the taste which only I could detect.  Guests still raved.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Once being exposed to OO I loaded up and will hopfully not ever have to go back to ROimage

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• rlnewman
    rlnewman Posts: 19
    Options
    rlnewman said:
    Any suggestions on where to get either one: OO or RW?  I have looked for several years here in the ATL area and haven't found either.  
    You can order Rockwood from any Ace Hardware store in the SouthEastern US, but there are about 30 stores around Atlanta that have it on the shelf every day.  Just go to our website and punch in your ZIP--you'll see the closest stocking store.  Call ahead before you make the trip though (SKU# is 8400772).
    Thank you!  I called my local ACE and they had some.  They used to carry the Wicked Good but had a falling out with them and quit carrying.  I'm going to run down and pick up a bag and try it out.
    Grill4U

Loving Life!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    photo null_zps3a3f915f.jpg
    photo 20131026_164146_zps67af9a0e.jpg

I will try RW at some point, but my OO supplier is good people.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @cazzy‌ you drive a mini van?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Expedition I believe. Only the finest.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    I found that combining OO with RO also works well, and lowers the overall cost of the cook.

I use about a half pound of OO on the bottom (big pieces) and pile the considerably smaller pieces of RO on top of that.

Even this small amount of OO (I make sure there's 2 - 2.5 total lbs of lump in my firebox when lighting - whether all new or a combination of new and old) has made a huge difference in ability to get to 400 quickly, and to get hotter temps overall.

I also like that I can still get the smokiness of RO using this approach.

BTW, RO has been awful for me this year - tons of very small pieces in the 16 lb bags from WW.  Seems like almost half the bag is unusable or for "top of pile" only.  The "bigger" pieces have not been much better, and it's been a challenge to find many big pieces at all in an average bag of RO.  Not sure if WW guys just bashed the bags around or what the deal is, but it's truly been garbage lump for me this year.

So, for anyone who wants to save a few pennies - a combo OO + RO is a good way to go in my experience.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @henapple‌ ok. I love the blue on it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I am new to this and have been trying different charcoals. I was pulling my hair out a few weeks ago because I couldn't get the temp up for pizzas, which I had done a couple other times no problem. Turns out I used Royal Oak and there were lots of little chips, and the little chips and ash had clogged the holes in the bottom.

What I'm reading here confirms I'm not totally nuts... The charcoal did make a difference. I feel like I'm getting a master class in grilling from you guys!!! Thanks!!!

I'd love to try the rock wood or ozark oak. I picked up grill mark at my ace - gives some smoky flavor but not as bad as I was expecting given some of the comments / reviews I've read.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    RO I buy at HD has huge pieces, few chips or dust. RW I buy is more medium pieces, also little chips or dust. I have been pleased with both so far.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options

@henapple‌ ok. I love the blue on it.

That's my wife's suv...it's Ford Explorer Limited.
    photo 739693_10151233592846033_594447900_o_zpsa29c91c4.jpg

We like it, but since we have another kid on the way, I think we should upgrade and get a tour bus to haul them around.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I absolutely love OO but it's not available in ABQ so at the moment I'm using RO I ran out of the two bags of OO and BGE I had I will be placing an order from firecraft for some ill try the rockwood but I've never used any better than OO :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I knew you would love the Rockwood!!  By all accounts, it and Ozark Oak are interchangeable. I would get either one that was easy to me.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    OO and RW are my go to  RO a very distant third.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    @SGH - I think you left one of the most important questions unanswered in your review...  What about taste?  Does a steak or chicken cooked with Rockwood or OO taste any different than a steak or chicken cooked with RO, assuming the prep and cooking methods are identical?  Would you be able to tell them apart in a blind taste test?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mixing RO and OO? Isn't that like combining malt liquor and 18 year old scotch? =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @mlamb01  You are not going to notice a huge difference in the taste (assuming you let the RO burn clean).  However, you will be ready to go in half the time.  I agree with SGH in that the two biggest selling points on these two lumps are quick ready time and low ash production.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokyBear
    Options
    I thought OO was more 'neutral' in flavor than RO?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    henapple said:
    Mixing RO and OO? Isn't that like combining malt liquor and 18 year old scotch? =))
    Yeah, but it works!  :)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @mlamb01‌
    Excellent question. Honest answer. On a large primal or subprimal that has a extended dwell time in the cooking chamber I could pick it out with my eyes closed. OO & RW impart a pleasant true smoke flavor. RO imparts a sooty taste. No question of it. On something that cooks super fast at real high temps like steak, thin chops or boneless breast probably not. I am running farther tests to try to give a across the board answer. But at this point it's no contest. OO & RW easily win hands down.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The amount of ash left by only 10 pounds of RO.imageimage

Now look here. The amount of ash left by 20+ pounds of OO. Double the lump but less than half the ash. It's hard to argue against that type of result.image

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @mlamb01‌ I recently picked up several bags of both and decided to cook a spatchcocked chicken with savory spices as my first cook on each type. I did this because I've found that poultry is where I really can notice the sooty flavor of RO that @SGH‌ mentioned above. I found OO has a slightly smoker flavor profile than RW, but not an unpleasant sooty flavor like cowboy or to a lesser extent RO. Personally I was shocked at how clean the flavor profile of Rockwood was.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Between OO and RW-I too find the RW to be more smoke neutral.  Along the same lines as WGWW in that regard.  As long as you know the qualities (or not) of the lump you are using you can generally deal with it with the exception of too much smoke flavor.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @SmokyBear @SGH summed it nicely once again.  The original question was referring to steaks, in which you most likely wont notice on quick hot cooks.  On L&S you will notice a difference in taste.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    SGH  How big is that bucket with the RO ashes?  That looks like a lot more ash than I get from a 17 lb bag of RO.

I understand that Royal Oak has several plants around the country.  i wonder how much the product differs between plants.  Seems like the mix of wood would be different for each plant.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SGH
    Options
    It's a child's sand box bucket . About a gallon if I were to guess.

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    SGH, those four pics spoke volumes (no pun intended).  Thanks!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month