Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best of the Best

As a Newbie, I have this burning question.  What was the best thing you ever cooked on The Egg?  Careful...you may need to provide the recipe and method.  Thanks for your input.
XL...Round Rock, TX

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    HA!  That is a loaded question certain to get several varied and more knowledgeable answers than mine!

I'm relatively new as well (6 months on the egg) so I'll pass on my feedback as a newbie.

The egg really shines on a low and slow cook like a Pork Butt/Shoulder or Brisket.  The Pork is easier.  But when you nail the brisket it is incredible.
    Ribs also good, and easier still. 
    I was surprised to find how easy it is to make a good pizza.  You will end up playing with temps and setup a bit.
    Steaks surprised me as a short cook that still gets the lump flavor as does fish.

I have cooked burgers, dogs, chicken breasts and veggies on the egg as well but do not find any noticeable difference over a gas grill.  Other than that I am cooking on my egg which is an event in itself!  :)

Make the pulled pork, though.  That'll make people go "wow!"
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited August 2014
    that really is a tough question, ill go with tuna steak. i found i could google my own images last week, most you can find the recipes by clicking on the pics. for some reason about 20 percent of the pics are not mine but it seems to be an easy way for me to find my cooks and recipes, i have to apologize for some of the recipes as i just make alot up from my head and have the hardest time actually measuring and following a recipe from a book
    :))
    here is how i cook tuna steaks
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&hs=wtN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=k30JKo27dORiCM%3A%3BhUDknseyt24QAM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Feggheadforum.com%252Fdiscussion%252F491595%252Fthanks-fishlessman&source=iu&usg=__oWZdGWRw2cm-wdcKAVjHYUIncDw=&sa=X&ei=OTDiU5fZJsSWyASa_YD4Aw&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAg&biw=1366&bih=608&q=fishlessman images egghead#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=L-chSStSW_R_CM%3A;SH08r6Z9PnXt2M;http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv225%2Ffishlessman%2F003-83.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Feggheadforum.com%2Fdiscussion%2F1156839%2Ftuna-steaks-with-thai-dipping-sauce;1024;685

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Whole hogs head. Sat it in a pan on 2 fire bricks, only way I could fit in a medium. Put some rub on exposed meat, slit the skin to help render fat. Scooped away excess fat so the pan did not overflow. Basted head w. same. Cooked about 4 hours. Caused a feeding frenzy.

Overall, consistently happiest w. spare ribs.

Done some very nice holiday dishes. Whole goose. Pistachio crusted stuffed leg of lamb.
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    edited August 2014

If you are a newbie, then there are three things you need to do. All of which are simple to execute and deliver great results.

1) Steak.

2) Pork Butt

3) Spatchcock Chicken

Each involves low, medium and high heat and if you follow information from all the many 1000's of posts, you will get great results. What's great about the BGE is versatility. I'm not saying anything new here. Just take your time on this site. Wealth of great info.

As for my best cook? I've had many home runs all with different proteins.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    @KiterTodd - nothing "relatively new" about that answer, it is smack on, IMO. SWMBO does not like her veggies with even a touch of smoke, unless on a kabob, so we tend to stir fry or grill on the gasser.  

The larger chunks of meat, butt, brisket, roasts, whole poultry are items where the egg really shines. Once you find what works for you (mix of dough/topping/heat) the reflected heat from the dome makes great wood fired pizza.

Over the past couple of years I use the reverse sear more and more. Let the meat take some smoke and rub flavour, then sear with a torch or CI pan. 

Some like to Wok on the egg, I prefer a propane burner, much better heat control. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @cazzy Great minds think alike...who would have thunk...same wording in title.  I will be reading that thread!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Jwinn44
    Jwinn44 Posts: 49

I have many favourites but I will add something that I would have not had thought of unless it was for this forum.   I enjoy all my meats, and it makes the best chicken (spatchcocked) you will find anywhere, but what ill say is my favourite is an appitizer.

If you have not tried, try out Cedar Plank Nachos!  These will be the best nacho's you have ever ate.   Put whatever toppings you like but my favourite so far included leftover pulled pork (that i smoked and it was amazing), and some left over spatchcocked chicken pieces.   I then added lots of cheese and green onion.  Feel free to add whatever you like though!  For the chips, use the scoop chips and fill each scoop with something special!

Chilliwack, BC, Canada
  • KiterTodd
    That's it!
    I'm sick of hearing about this crazy spatchcocked chiken thing (who named that anyway?).
    I'm going to have to make it. :D
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• @KiterTodd‌ agree on the name...but I will say that I tried that when my family was in town for the 4th and it is FABULOUS! The Naked Whiz has great instructions in his site!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Carne Guisada, cornbread, 3in thick cut ribeyes, red snapper, salmon, bread, beef wellington, roasted veggies......anything that you can cook on the stovetop or in the oven can be cooked on the egg ....and added bonus, the food will taste better too. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    KiterTodd said:
    That's it!
    I'm sick of hearing about this crazy spatchcocked chiken thing (who named that anyway?).
    I'm going to have to make it. :D
    The Brits/Irish - it is often argued exactly how the term came about. Seems only to apply with chickens, having heard the term long before I heard of an egg. I'm really surprised that Americans don't use the term butterflied more often as we hear with pork chops or Italian sausages. 

Maybe folks just like saying it..
    :))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KiterTodd
    @KiterTodd‌ agree on the name...but I will say that I tried that when my family was in town for the 4th and it is FABULOUS! The Naked Whiz has great instructions in his site!
    Thanks!  I had assumed if I couldn't spell it or pronounce it, this was a complexity I'd save for a rainy day.  Just looked at the cooking method and see how simple it is.  I'll have one on within the week!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited August 2014
    If I was told I could cook only one meat, it would be whole pork shoulder.....These pictures show one of the whole shoulders I cooked a while back. This was around 20lbs and took 22-23 hours low and slow.....sauce not needed
  • @thailandjohn‌ that's amazing...20 lbs...you must have been having a large crowd. I used to make pork shoulders in the oven...will have to try this again. What temperature?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Most of the cook was at 225 degrees and near the end I bump up to 275 to get a better bark....I cook with the skin side down and most of the fat is retained by the pork rind that I mix in with the meat.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Pizza.  You can make a pizza as good as any restaurant, anywhere, on the egg.

Newbie to the egg, also.  Most everything else has been good.  (Brisket: I got PTSD after my first cook.  Damn the brisket.)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • marianneiamele1
    marianneiamele1 Posts: 119
    edited August 2014
    @travisstrick‌ that looks amazing...and I love your humor! I bookmarked that site Nibble Me This...looks great. My eyes are rolling back in my head with all the work it took. You must be in the Austin area too...Salt Lick Rub... @blind99‌ I am going to have to work up the courage to do Pizza...everyone raves about it!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Harker Heights (next to ft hood)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • @travisstrick‌ ...not to far down the road. I'm looking forward to going to the Eggfests next year!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Standing rib roast. This is the one thing that the egg really stands tall and struts it's stuff. The ability to cook low and slow and then ramp up for the final sear is a huge plus. Plus the air tight convective effect on the rib roast is unrivaled. I feel that I can produce a rib roast on my egg that will more than hold it's own with any top tier restaurant in the world.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I'd have to say the best thing I ever made on the egg was a prime rib. I hot tubbed it to about 90* then seared it on all sides at around 600* pulled it off let the egg get just below 400 * then put it back on to just under 130 then let it rest. While it rested I made asparagus drizzled with evoo and sea salt I made it for valentines one year. SWMBO said it was the best thing I've ever made too
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • @SGH‌ I usually make Standing Rib Roasts at the holidays...I am definitely going to try them on the Egg this year. Can you tell me more about how you do that?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • SGH
    Yes I can. Really busy at the moment. Will type it in tonight and bump this thread.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654

Had to bookmark that one. Looks fantastic
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SGH
    @marianneiamele1‌
    Cooking a standing rib roast is pretty simple and straight forward. The whole rib primal is a fair size chunk of meat. That being said I limit the size I cook to no more than a 7 bone in roast if using my large BGE. Most of the time smaller. This is to help prevent over crowding and restricting air flow. There are many ways that you can get excellent results when cooking rib roast. Here is a very simple one and the one I use 95% of the time. As far as trimming them I only remove danglers. When cooking rib roast I'm more concerned with final taste than anything else. Leaving the heavy cap in place and intact will help insure a moist succulent product in the end. For seasoning I rub them generously with salt and black pepper. That's it. Nothing else. There is really no need in applying anything other than S&P. The taste of prime rib is so good why would you want to alter it. For the cook I like to run at 225 degrees so I can really lay down a heavy oak smoke. I do not bring prime rib up to room temp before cooking. I actually try to have the meat no warmer than 35 degrees when I load it into the egg. For the set up I run indirect at 225 degrees for the first part of the cook. I use and recommend putting the roast in a V-Rack and sit it in a clean pan to catch the drippings to make your finishing sauce with. Now here is the part where you may have to make adjustments. I like my beef on the rare side. Once it reaches a internal of 115 degrees I remove it and set the egg up for the direct sear. You can take the internal to what ever temp that you like to reach the desired level of doneness that you are shooting for. Just stop 10 degrees short of your goal as the sear will bring the internal temp up roughly 10-15 degrees depending on its thickness. Once I'm set up for direct I run the temp of the egg up to 450 degrees. I don't recommend nuclear temps for searing prime rib. The size of the meat makes hard to manipulate and you risk over shooting your color mark if the egg is really cranked up. At 450 you will get all the sear that you want and you have time on your side at this temp. It reduces the chance of scorching dramatically. I recommend to constantly turn the roast every 45-60 seconds so you can really control the color that you want. Don't worry the sear won't take long at all so the constant turning is not a issue at all. And it's well worth this small effort. Once the sear is complete I remove from the egg and baste the roast with a garlic herb melted butter. The dripping you caught in the pan are outstanding for dipping your meat in once you have strained off the fat. And that's it. Simple but excellent. Again there are numerous ways to cook them. But this one is consistent and simple and yields excellent results. Please remember that the above is just my way of doing it to achieve the desired end results that I'm looking for. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I hope this is helpful my friend. Good luck.

Status- Standing by.

• @SGH Thank you so much for taking the time to write out the recipe.  I love simple, so this is fantastic...printing this one for my BGE Binder. One question...you set it up for indirect and then you take the plate setter out?  It sounds like you have several Eggs...do you switch to another one?  And I see that you are not going by time...but internal temperature.
    XL...Round Rock, TX