Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CraigList Mini Score!

Options
2»

Comments

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Nice!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    SGH said:

@cazzy‌
    Do you own/use a mini? Thoughts on their usefulness?

I started with a mini and added a large. Use it all the time. Its quick, easy and efficient.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @bearBGE‌
    I could not have said it any better myself!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    That's a great deal on a classic Mini! You might want to check with the mothership about possible assistance on the new style nest since using those old chiminea stands greatly increases the odds of splitting your Mini base in two. I seem to recall someone getting a nicely discounted nest from them.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cazzy‌ Do you own/use a mini? Thoughts on their usefulness?

I have three Eggs. 2 Large and my Mini. If I had to get down to only one Egg, I would keep the Mini. I use it 75% of the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q .. I'll call them today and see what they say. 
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    First thing I would do is get the new band. You will get tired of that hinge. That egg isn't that old the really old ones the fire rings had like a half inch or more gap all the way around. My original mini I picked up off CL for $100 also used like once or twice but it was the old old model (was stamped patent pending on the bottom) and I ended up spending over $100 updating it. I would guess that egg is in the range of 5-8 years old. Nice score the mini is awesome. The most needed accessory is the woo it makes the mini much more useful.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @Lit .. the newer style band with hinges on both sides cost $75.49 and the CI grid costs $39.99 and the newer nest is $49.95. Thats an additional $165.43. I was also thinking of getting the Woo with I believe is around $60 .. so looking at around $250 with taxes ... now this doesn't seem like a great deal anymore :-)

Wonder what SWMBO will approve .. else will make do with what I have now and use it with a ceramic feet form Lowes and updrage over time after I complain enough :-)

Thanks to everyone who has suggested things for the mini. This forum is awesome!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Lit
    Options
    Skip the CI grid until later its not needed. I would say get the stainless over the CI anyways I have both and prefer the stainless. Skip the nest all together and save the $50 towards a carten in the future and just put a couple pavers under it for now. You can even skip the band for now you atleast have the single arm band which allows it to open fully. The model before this the band had 2 arms and the egg did not open enough so it was a real pain. The Woo is what you really need to create a little more distance from the fire. Without it you can easily burn food quickly. Also you can order the pizza stones off amazon and go indirect with the woo if you ever wanted to. Mickey suggests the high que above but I have never had any issues with my mini getting to temp quick with the factory grate but I do keep the mini clean so that may be why. My personal input is the only thing you need to get cooking is the woo.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The question is, is the Woo compatible? That's an older Mini with probably the 9" grid. I don't think they make the Woo for that size any more. That's one of the reasons I sold my old Mini and got a new one, so I could eggcessorize. :)

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• SkinnyV
    Options
    FYI the 9.5 grid will work with the woo, the 10 is better and locks in but that's another $35-$40.
    Not a must.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Options
    Lit is correct just above. The Woo is big but you must have the new SS grid for it to fit. I also think the CI grid is a waste of money as will. The paver works just fine as I gave my new Nest to VillageIdiot (never used it much). I do have issue on the High Que. Have owned 2 Mini's, 1 Small, 2 Larges and ALL HAD HIGH QUE's. No mine is not "clean" but so what? They get to temp faster than before i had the High Que's on them and Egg should be shot for not making std eqt on Smalls

• SkinnyV
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I disagree on 10" being a must. Have both and use the 9.5 all the time.in the woo.
    Save the $35-$40 for now. I would have had i known.

I can post pics if needed.

Did I mention $35-$40 for a 10" grid is crazy? Bge tax!
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Options
    Yes the high que is a must for smalls without a doubt and they do help all of them get to temp faster. When I sold my small I left the high que in it just because it was so essential and making it a useful cooker.
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    The mini is a plus for camping.  Went camping for a week and cooked exclusively off the mini--white fish with bourbon sauce, cedar planked salmon, filet mignon, turkey thighs, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken legs and breasts.  Used a propane stove for sides.  The high que does make a difference in the mini for air flow. I save my smaller (not too small!) pieces of left over lump from our other BGE to use in the mini. 

The woo does increase the mini's ability to be used in a variety of ways.  You do have to be careful and identify what size stainless steel grid you have.  Although my dealer told me there isn't a plate setter for the mini, there is.  The woo from the ceramic grill store along with the pizza stone from Amazon functions in the same manner as the plate setter.  It gives you more flexibility for cooking as well.  

One of the benefits of the mini is that when doing steaks they are closer to the coals.  Steaks on the mini are top notch.  We're taking vacation next week and not towing the pop up camper.  Since it is a short road trip we're opting for motels. My husband asked if we could take the mini and cook on the road.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.