Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I was proven wrong.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I have had the honor of getting to meet some very fine folks from the forum in the past few days. That being said I was given some Ozark Oak & Rockwood by them as gifts. Up to that point I had never tried either. I had pretty much used Royal Oak for 99% of my cooks. Both in the egg and my reverse flow vertical cabinet. I have tried only a very limited few other types. Don't even remember the brands. I was asked to give my opinion on the OO and the RW once I got to try them. So here is my thoughts and conclusion on the matter at hand.

OO. It burns clean and hot. Produces very little ash compared to Royal Oak. It has a very sweet smell when first lit instead of the off smell that Royal Oak has. If using a scale to rate it and Royal Oak scored a 5 then I would have to give Ozark Oak a perfect 10. I found no trash or debris at all in the lump. None. Top rate quality lump for sure. I will be purchasing more. Just a note: I used the Large BGE for this comparison of OO & RO.

RW. Same identical results as the OO. It scored a perfect 10. Everything I said above about the OO applies to the Rockwood as well. Just a note: I used my vertical reverse flow cabinet for this comparison of RW & RO.

Conclusion: OO & RW are by far the superior lump. That's not sentiment my friends, it's absolute fact. I will be ordering a half pallet of each. Neither contained any trash or debris at all. I was equally impressed by both. I highly recommend them. Just for the record I'm comparing them to only Royal Oak and Cowboy as these are the ones that I have used. Again both were par excellent and they are what I will be using for all future cooks hence forth in my BGE & vertical cabinet.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    @SGH‌ very interesting. As you know I've recently come into a few bags of both as well. I've been holding off posting my findings so far because I mistakenly left my bag of OO out in the rain, so I want to burn through a full bag of "untainted OO" before I post my results. That being said I fully agree both are FAR superior to RO. The only comparable brand I've found would be WGWW and even that isn't on the same level as RW or OO.

I've got a few more cooks planned before I post my own thread on this subject but I'm glad to hear your esteemed opinion my friend, so far I agree wholeheartedly.
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I'm looking forward to your thoughts and opinions as well my friend. I gave a honest assessment of each. Tried them on 2 different types of smokers for the sake of thoroughness. I was equally impressed by both. One did not have a advantage over the other in my performance tests. Both were par excellent. Please share you findings as well. As always I thank you for the kind words my friend

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Nice bit of information, thanks for sharing. 
    Not a total surprise, for most of us OO or RW is close to $1/pound (maybe from Firecraft?) while RO is often half that price, usually available for $12 for 17.6 pound bag - $0.69/pound. OO and RW are almost 45% more than RO - but given the heat and lack of ash, maybe worth the difference in price. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    It has made a believer out of me. I have to order them as well. They are not available in my area.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    It's well worth the price difference for me especially in one arena. My vertical holds massive amounts of lump and or charcoal. Ash removal gets very old and hectic. It's in this arena that OO & RW will be a real life saver for me due to their lack of ash production. In the egg ash removal is really not that big of a deal but for anyone running the big units ash removal can be a real pain.

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    @Skiddymarker‌ I like to keep a few bags of RO around as well because it's so inexpensive. I use it for burger/hot dog/ sausage cooks when the family is around.... it never hurts to save a few $$$.

That being said I was ecstatic about how the OO I was using tonight to cook my rack of lamb preformed. There was a very slight smokey note (with no wood added) to the meat (as opposed to the oven. I've never egged a rack of lamb before). As an added bonus when I pulled the platesetter and opened the egg up for a sear the temp SOARED up! I was shocked how quickly the egg went from 375 to +650.

The only way I can describe it was driving a Subaru every day and getting behind the wheel of a Porsche. Watch out when you step on the gas or that puppy will get going!!!
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    Vent response is much quicker with the OO & RW vs RO. @ChillyWillis‌ I'm glad you mentioned that as I forgot to put it in my review. But you are 100% correct about being able to go blast furnace much faster. Good point my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    I forgot to give thanks to the forum members who hooked me up with the RW & OO.
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ - Ozark Oak.
    @Thatgrimguy‌ - Rockwood.
    Thank y'all my friends. Y'all opened my eyes about lump. It really does make a huge difference. No doubt about it nor question off it. Wish I would have discovered both OO & RW a lot sooner.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I've been looking at changing lump brands, so this is some good information for me. I currently use RO. The only other lump used has been BGE and cowboy. BGE is way too expensive from my dealer and cowboy was just horrible.
    My only complaint with RO is that I get a lot of small pieces/dust in the bags I'm buying. It's not a problem for cooking stuff under 350°, but the tiny pieces prevent good airflow and it's a challenge to get things hot sometimes. I don't want to have to sift the bag and only use half of it.
    Not too long ago somebody posted some pics of big chunks of lump. Not sure if it was OO, RW, or Fogo, but that stuff looks like it would allow for plenty of airflow.
    @SGH‌ , which one of the two you just tried had the most uniformity when it comes to lump size?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    @stemc33‌
    Brother they were honestly almost identical in every way. Couldn't see any noticeable difference in lump size at all. They were both incredibly clean and debris free. Produced very little ash and burned hot. If I were forced to chose between the 2 I would base it on price and price alone. I liked them equal. I'm ordering a half pallet of both.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    @SGH‌ , do you have the same problem with the small pieces in the RO?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    @stemc33‌
    It varies from bag to bag as to how severe the problem is but yes. The OO & RW had almost no dust or crumbles in them. They are a far superior product to RO. So much cleaner my friend. I was highly impressed with them.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I had the same thoughts on both OO and RW and now use RW exclusively. Thanks for posting.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    @JRWhitee‌
    Glad you enjoyed it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    SGH It will be very interesting to hear follow ups to your experience with your first couple of bags. Heavy extended use will tell the tale in the long run. If they dont change pallet to pallet over time it will be worth getting it stocked locally
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I rank the OO at the very top of the scale. Also my delivery driver is one hell of a guy. My driver is on the left. One the right is just another illegal in Texas. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've been saying that for almost 2 years. I think some guys get defensive when I make fun of RO but, it's all in gest.

Use what you want.
    Use what's available.
    At lease try OO or Rockwood if possible.

I get OO for under $6 lb and pick up Rockwood at the dock. I try to pass on the savings when possible.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    I've recently been trying Rockwood as well and found that the biggest benefit is that it seems to be ready to go a lot faster than RO.  That extra 15 minutes can be really helpful when trying to crank out dinner on a weeknight.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I got just two words for you.  Fo. Go.  Fogo lump.  Burns hot, big a$$ chunks and Amazon delivers right to your door.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • stemc33
    @henapple‌ , how do I find one of those docks in Wyoming?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • rlnewman
    rlnewman Posts: 19
    Any suggestions on where to get either one: OO or RW?  I have looked for several years here in the ATL area and haven't found either.  
    Grill4U

Loving Life!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    my top three were ozark, maple leaf, and the old comp blend by wicked good. the newer wicked good weekend warrior is not as good as the comp blend was. keep a strong eye out for maple wood lump, maple leaf is only in canada now but basque ships down to suppliers here now but its still tough to find, nothing better than the smell of maple wood lump in the fall when the weather starts to cool down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    I haven't had the pleasure to try OO or RW, but I recently tried Wicked Weekend Warrior and it blows RO out of the water... And my wife hates the smell of RO when I'm lighting it.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I agree @sgh. Both are noticeably better than RO. I even can notice a better sound when I dump the lump from the bag, Even smells better.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    One other note I have found is rockwood seems to spark more when lighting kind of like bge brand compared to OO. But r chunks seemed to be more uniform. Just what I noticed.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    rlnewman said:
    Any suggestions on where to get either one: OO or RW?  I have looked for several years here in the ATL area and haven't found either.  
    You can order Rockwood from any Ace Hardware store in the SouthEastern US, but there are about 30 stores around Atlanta that have it on the shelf every day.  Just go to our website and punch in your ZIP--you'll see the closest stocking store.  Call ahead before you make the trip though (SKU# is 8400772).
  • badinfluence
    Or just order it from fire craft free shipping on orders over 100.00. They carry both OO and RW so you can make your b own conclusion on what you like best.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Or just order it from fire craft free shipping on orders over 100.00. They carry both OO and RW so you can make your b own conclusion on what you like best.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Phatchris said:
    I haven't had the pleasure to try OO or RW, but I recently tried Wicked Weekend Warrior and it blows RO out of the water... And my wife hates the smell of RO when I'm lighting it.
    I have not tried OO or RW either. Can't find it within a 25 mile drive from where I live. WW is great albeit a bit expensive. I save it for L&S or super hot (pizza) cooks and it performs beautifully. I can't get 4 pizzas back-to-back from RO but can with WW.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Ozark Oak is such a neutral flavor that it doesn't make your food taste smokey and you won't smell like a chimney after using the egg. The other great part about Ozark Oak is that you can put your food on once you hit your target temp. No need to wait to burn off any bad smoke. Burns clean right away. Great stuff
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota