Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RRP and the Rutland Gasket.

Just wanted to say thank you Ron and the Rutland Gasket. For those of you that have not replaced your gasket with a Rutland, I highly,highly recommend it. Even if yours doesn't need to be replaced but is the felt kind. I melted my felt gasket with a pizza cook but never have to worry again. Contact Ron and he will hook you up. Follow his directions exactly as written and you will be very happy. It was very easy to do. Thank you Ron.

Comments

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Do u have an email, phone number or webisite? Is it true with the rutland gasket there's no need to install gasket in the dome Just the egg/ bottom half?
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @g37‌
    Yes sir it's true. No need for a gasket on the dome when using a Rutland on the base.imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• eddyg
    eddyg Posts: 17
    True. You clean off all the old gasket and only put the Rutland on the bottom only. It seals well with no leaks. And you never have to worry about burning the top gasket. There is some information on naked whiz but you can email Ron or do a search for rrp on this forum and drop him a note. Cheap and easy to do.
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    @g37‌
    If you have any questions that I may can answer feel free to ask or call. I highly recommend the Rutland. You won't regret installing it.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• g37
    Thanks. Any break in period for the rutland gasket?
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SGH
    No. Only a 24 hour cure. Then you can run it like a blast furnace. The cure is for the Permatex not the Rutland.

Status- Standing by.

• g37
    Thanks.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SGH
    You are quite welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @g37‌
    Here is the Permatex that you should use. It must cure for 24 hours before first fire. Then you can run over 2,000 degrees without hurting the Rutland.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @ericp‌
    You are 100% correct. I got mine from RRP. I highly recommend his services. He is a great guy and very knowledgable about all things related to Rutland gaskets and there installation.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks guys! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Follow @rrp's instructions and it should be a breeze.  He's done the heavy lifting for you already.  My only tip would be to be careful about how much Permatex you lay down.  I ended up having to trim a fair amount of it that seeped out.  I probably used about 3/4 of a tube and it looks like that was a bit too much.

@rrp How many experiments did it take before you settled on your recommended method?  I cringe to think about what sort of trial and error process you might've gone through to figure it out.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • RRP
    @jerryb78 Thanks! It sort of evolved - I used to use and sell the Rutland adhesive and it had issues. For one thing it is latex and you had to work quickly and in the shade and not too hot of weather or it would cure immediately and never bond. Besides that the adhesive had a short shelf life and some tubes were DOA and I was eating those. Somewhere someone recommended the Permatex. BTW I had one Rutland adhesive last 6 years so I knew when properly applied following my directions precisely the Rutland could work but most people wouldn't bother and then complain. It's been smooth sailing since switching to suggesting the Permatex. BTW you are correct only about 1/2 of a tube does the trick!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014
    I'm certain this has been covered elsewhere, but since it was brought up here, is the Permatex safe for use around food?
    It looks like a pretty industrial product and I wasn't sure if it gasses anything harmful into the grill that would permeate the meat.  Should you do a "clean burn" after the initial 24 hours to let it gas out?

Thanks.  When my seal goes, I'll definitely look to the Rutland.  Mine is in good shape now, but I did have the two halves stick together and flop around when a piece of mozzarella fell in the wrong spot on a pizza cook.  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    I'll see what I can find, but with at least 1,000 having been applied with Permatex I would think if even one person had an issue I would have heard or read somewhere about it. BTW some people skip the Rutland altogether and just make a thick seal of 100% Permatex!
  • I just bought my egg a few months ago, how long can I expect the original gasket to last?
  • My gasket is in transit as I write. Thanks Ron. Quick, kind, and efficient.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    @RRP  What is the cost of a Rutland Gasket for a large and a mini BGE.
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @kitertodd you can check out the material data safety sheet at permatex - type in 81878. Polydimethylsiloxane is pretty inert, mica silica I think is the sparkly stuff in toothpaste. It says it may form formaldehyde when heated over 300. I bet after one cook it's all gone and I can't imagine much getting into the food, seems like it'd go right out the top.

My cavalier and non expert opinion is there are probably more carcinogens in the charcoal than in the glue. That's why the good lord gave me a liver!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    Thanks, blind99!  
    It came to mind because when I was looking at sealing up the open crimped ends of my maverick temperature probes, a lot of folks were suggesting a Permatex product and there was a lot of discussion regarding which formulas were approved for use around food.
    Appreciate the link to the data sheet!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    Sixpack1 said:
    @RRP  What is the cost of a Rutland Gasket for a large and a mini BGE.
    You have a PM via this forum.
  • logsend
    logsend Posts: 17
    And where does one go to purchase this gasket for a LBGE?  It's time to replace the factory original!
    Highland, MD  Egg Family: 1 Large, 1 Medium.
  • RRP

logsend said:
    And where does one go to purchase this gasket for a LBGE?  It's time to replace the factory original!
    You have a PM...
  • Can you please send me the info for the gasket too?
  • RRP
    DaBudDawg said:
    Can you please send me the info for the gasket too?
    PM sent
  • KiterTodd
    Can someone just send me a PM?  I'm feeling left out.  :D
    LBGE/Maryland
  • g37
    What's a pm?? I need the info for the rutland gasket to.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited August 2014
    @g37 .. pm is to post a message to someone directly on this forum. If I were to post a message to you, I will click on your username and then click on post message and you will receive notification from the forum that you have a  message.

So @RRP will probably PM you with the info for the Rutland gasket :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I just bought my egg a few months ago, how long can I expect the original gasket to last?
    Depends if its the old felt gasket. the first clean burn or pizza cook or high temp steak cook will probably finish it

I purchased a rutland from RRP but havent put it on yet, If its not getting cooked on its been raining so i havent had the chance but hope to do it the weekend or next
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM