Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella on the XL

Options
Mrs R2 requested paella so I quickly gathered most of the ingredients to make the Naked Whiz / Norberto Judge Chicken & Sausage paella.
Got the XL fired up with the lump reducing ring and roasted the red bell peppers.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Pulled the roasted peppers off and threw some chicken thighs on raised direct. Scrambled around toasting the saffron, heated up the chicken broth, and infused the broth with the saffron. Forgot to take pics of these steps.

Put the 18" pata negra paella pan on at about 350 degrees. Sauteed the garlic and green beans: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Sauteed the sofrito (forgetting to take pics again). Added the rice (arborio - turned out I was out of bomba :( ), chicken broth, artichoke hearts, green beans, roasted peppers, chicken, linguica (no spanish chorizo on hand), garlic, and garbanzo beans. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
About 30 minutes later it was looking ready: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Placed on the patio table and served! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Sweet!
    The Naked Whiz
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Wow. Impressive.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Bravo. =D>
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Most eggcellent audible-way to pull it together in likely record time.  Looks great-and tasted even better I'm sure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    that looks fantastic - and love that beer!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2014
    Options

Luv paella on the BGE, IMHO opinion actually better the next day, but it usually never lasts that long.

When I am looking for ideas I use this list as a guide.

Rice, Paella, Party, Richard Fl

This recipe is to be rev iewed the next time I cook paella.

INGREDIENTS:
    Crabs
    Shrimp
    Clams
    Calamari, Squids
    Scallops
    Fish, Cod, Other
    Drumettes, Chicken
    Chorizo
    Asparagus
    Peppadew Red Peppers
    Peas
    Artichoke Hearts
    Onions
    Bell Peppers, Red, Yellow
    Capers
    Black Olives
    Rice
    Saffron
    Dessert:
    Tres Leches Cake
    Flan

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Poultry, Seafood

Tips
    Peppadew is the brand name of sweet piquanté peppers (a breed of Capsicum baccatum) grown in the Limpopo province of South Africa.

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/04/05

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Random question, can you close the egg with that pan?  I'm assuming so but it looks tight.  Also, what is the advantage of the lump reducing ring?  I've never heard of this until now.

Paella looks amazing.  Very jealous.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice job!!! You are gonna make me have to get the paella pan out.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Beautiful cook!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sweet. .. =D>
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Random question, can you close the egg with that pan?  I'm assuming so but it looks tight.  Also, what is the advantage of the lump reducing ring?  I've never heard of this until now.

I have an XL egg and an 18" paella pan, and yes you can close the lid.  the 18" pan was the reason I bought the XL. I also have the lump reducing ring.  You can easily put 10 lbs of lump in the XL.  For a smaller cook it does cut down on the lump burned, and for something like Paella, it keeps the fire from getting too big.  I always use mine when I make Paella.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Nice!! That's a great recipe. Your pix are awesome. B-) Now I am craving paella.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Not only does it look excellent, it looks like a work of art!! Outstanding job my friend. This one earns the SGH seal of approval! Phenomenal looking! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've got to try this. looks fantastic. Never had a Paella
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited August 2014
    Options

Sweet!

Thanks for sharing the recipe on your site. Its a family favorite here!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited August 2014
    Options

jonnymack said:

Yes, there is enough clearance for my pan (it measures 22 3/4" from handle to handle).
    Cookinbob pointed out some reasons for using a lump reducing ring. I would add that it helps to keep the lump from spreading out beyond the diameter of the pan and cooking my arm. I wouldn't say it is mandatory as you can carefully pile the lump under the center of the pan but it does make this easier.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited August 2014
    Options

I've got to try this. looks fantastic. Never had a Paella

I definitely recommend that you do give it a try. I would imagine you have access to local seafood that would be great on a seafood paella.

Thanks all for the compliments!

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q‌
    I have never made one myself. Seeing yours has inspired me to do so now. That looks insane!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    @SGH - Thanks! It's a fair amount of work but I'm sure you'd be up to it. In case you need the recipe here it is: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm

I do vary a little on the cooking method (like roasting the bell peppers on the lump and bagging them in a ziploc bag for easier removal of the skin) but I'm usually pretty true to the recipe ingredients.

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q‌
    Thanks for the link. I booked marked it as well as this post for reference. That did look great brother. No question of it.

Status- Standing by.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    jonnymack said:

I cooked on an XLRG with a 24" pan a few years back at a mini fest.  The handles hung out over the edge and the top closed to within 1" of full close.  Worked great.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Now that looks Awesome, and great colors, pleasing to the eye and I am sure the taste buds..Well done.
    =D> ^:)^
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the info guys.  I have a large so I would need to scale down my paella pan needs if possible.  Would love to try it though.  Lump reducing ring now makes sense.  24 hours has done nothing to dull the jealousy over that paella.  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Holly crap that looks good!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!