Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast Ideas

Options

I bought a couple of these small, elongated turkey breasts at Sams with the idea of smoking it on the BGE much like a pork tenderloin. It's smaller, for sure, and won't take long to do, even using a low and slow. Any ideas of what to either rub this with, or perhaps even stuff it with? Cranberries? Cream cheese?

If I find something really good, then a friend and I will do this at the Mountain Eggfest in Hiawassee, Ga. next year. Our first foray into cooking at a fest, and this would be an inexpensive way to start. Any ideas?

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    It looks like its precooked? It says "roasted". Makes me think you're gonna open it up and its gonna be like lunch meat but I am not sure.

Little Rock, AR

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I think its Roasted Garlic on the raw tenderloins. Haven't done these on the egg yet.
    Jacksonville FL
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Biggreenpharmacist
    until I went to the Jennie-O website  http://www.jennieo.com/products/200-Roasted-Garlic-and-Herb-Turkey-Breast-Tenderloin   they are raw and need to be cooked. I'd cook them at about 250/275 until internal temp of 160. I think they'ed be to small to stuff.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Toss them and buy raw turkey wings, legs, and thighs. 400 raised direct. Best of the turkey.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Those are not roasted. They are raw and just seasoned with roasted garlic and herbs.  They are actually pretty good, and cook well in the oven and egg.  As for sides, anything will work well.  Just depends on what you like.

Egg/Oven:  350F for 60-70 minutes, or just read the directions on the package.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is how I like to do the turkey tenderloins.

Turkey, Breasts, Tenderloin, Blueberry, Chutney, Jenny-O, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lemon garlic turkey breast tenderloins (30 ounces/package of 2 ), Jenny-O
    1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
    Sauce
    1 cup fresh blueberries (rinsed)
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup mango chutney
    1 Tbs Dijon mustard
    1-2 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar, to taste
    1 Tbs jalapeño pepper jelly

Original Recipe

1. Preheat grill on medium-high. Cut tenderloins diagonally, across length, into about eight 1-inch-thick slices (medallion cut). Drizzle oil over both sides of slices. Wash hands.

2. Place turkey on grill, using tongs; close lid (or cover with foil). Grill 5–6 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 170°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. (Grills vary widely; adjust time as needed.)

3. While turkey grills, place remaining ingredients in small saucepan on medium-high. Cook 8–10 minutes, whisking often, until blueberries break up and flavors are well blended. Serve sauce over turkey.

BGE Variation

1. The above recipe was the original, however for Father's Day, 2006/06/18, I modified it to a BGE on my small, Did the whole tenderloin without cutting into pieces. indirect, got BGE to 300°F added 3-4 pieces of applewood and placed the tenderloin on until internal reached 155°F, about 45-60 minutes.

2. For sides had some vidalia onions sliced 1/2 inch thick and some portobello mushrooms cut 3/4 inch thick and marinated both in Italian salad dressing for 15 minutes and then just placed on the side of the breasts until they were done, about 45 minutes.

Recipe Type: Poultry

Source
    Author: Publix Super Markets
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/06/18
    Web Page: www.publix.com/aprons

Author Notes
    Berry Bright Salad is excellent as the side.

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Here is how I like to do the turkey tenderloins.

Turkey, Breasts, Tenderloin, Blueberry, Chutney, Jenny-O, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    2 lemon garlic turkey breast tenderloins (30 ounces/package of 2 ), Jenny-O
    1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
    Sauce
    1 cup fresh blueberries (rinsed)
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup mango chutney
    1 Tbs Dijon mustard
    1-2 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar, to taste
    1 Tbs jalapeño pepper jelly

Original Recipe

1. Preheat grill on medium-high. Cut tenderloins diagonally, across length, into about eight 1-inch-thick slices (medallion cut). Drizzle oil over both sides of slices. Wash hands.

2. Place turkey on grill, using tongs; close lid (or cover with foil). Grill 5–6 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 170°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. (Grills vary widely; adjust time as needed.)

3. While turkey grills, place remaining ingredients in small saucepan on medium-high. Cook 8–10 minutes, whisking often, until blueberries break up and flavors are well blended. Serve sauce over turkey.

BGE Variation

1. The above recipe was the original, however for Father's Day, 2006/06/18, I modified it to a BGE on my small, Did the whole tenderloin without cutting into pieces. indirect, got BGE to 300°F added 3-4 pieces of applewood and placed the tenderloin on until internal reached 155°F, about 45-60 minutes.

2. For sides had some vidalia onions sliced 1/2 inch thick and some portobello mushrooms cut 3/4 inch thick and marinated both in Italian salad dressing for 15 minutes and then just placed on the side of the breasts until they were done, about 45 minutes.

Recipe Type: Poultry

Source
    Author: Publix Super Markets
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/06/18
    Web Page: www.publix.com/aprons

Author Notes
    Berry Bright Salad is excellent as the side.
    Thanks Richard!
    I think this is the way I'll go on these....yum!!!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!