Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night's Chicken Quarters

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Wasn't going to bother postings this, but I'm sitting at an airport bar waiting for a flight with nothing better to do.

I guess I could download email and be productive...nah...

Thawed these in cold ice water yesterday morning. Then let them dry in the fridge for a few hours. Gave them a nice coat of Meadow Creek BBQ rub and put them on raised direct at 400*. The foiled pouch in back is fingerling potatoes.

During the cook I spritzed them with a Vinegar/Butter/Salt/Rub combo that I had leftover from a chicken cook last week. 
When they were almost finished I glazed them with Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet N' Spicy that I cut with apple cider vinegar and honey. I added a bit much ACV as the glace was a bit thinner than I wanted.

Here they are ready to serve. SWMBO had a nice bowl of flowers on the table and I thought it might look nice. I see I should have cleaned the rim of the plate on the left side. :P

Here's a closeup. As you can see, the glaze was too thin to really set like I wanted it to.

I will say, the flavor combination of the rub/spritz/glaze really worked on these. I'm usually just a dry rub kind of guy, but I think I'm going to start working more with laying flavor combos on with multi-stage adds. A few weeks back I did a chuck roast for pulled beef and did a late injection as it was a small one, and I really liked that.

Who knows, I'll probably go in cycles and wind up back on rub only...

Anyway, no egging for me until Saturday...

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Looks picture perfect to me!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like another home run to me. Nice looking bird.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Looks great. My favorite chicken baste is Lexington style "dip" - which is mostly vinegar with some ketchup, brown sugar, apple juice, hot sauce, and crushed red pepper added to round out flavor.

It's not so sweet that is burns and sticks and makes a mess, but has enough sweet to offset the acidity of the vinegar. Used it on chicken thighs one day right after I had just made a batch to baste some ribs/butts and was hooked.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SGH
    Your new avatar kind of reminds me of someone. Can't quite put my finger on it though. I wonder.image

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @SGH
    Lol, that is a selfie I took on the airport shuttle bus from the parking lot this afternoon.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    It bares a striking resemblance to brother Arnold. :D

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Glad you posted. I'm licking my lips for the chicken....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You need to post cooks like this. Thanks, I'm out of town having to eat #!$% till I get back. Looks great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner.
    Great color @DMW‌
    Have a safe flight.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL