Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Bricks?

Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hate to be my usual stupid self, but where do you get fire bricks? Can you fined them a like Acme Brick outlets? They look like concrete blocks, but my guess is they are not. [p]Also do those of you who use them only use them when cooking indirectly?[p]Thanks, Frank

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Franco,[p]Fire bricks can be found at a place that sells bricks. I found mine at a local chimney shop. They are usually not at a Lowes or Home Improvement store, at least not at my local store. There are a few different sizes, i think there is a 1 inch, 1 1/2 inch, and 2 inch, get a couple of each, and I paid about a buck a piece for mine. I use mine for cooking indirectly, put 2 flat on the grate and two on edge, making a "U" on the grate, then place the drip pan on them with a second grill placed on the top of this. Take a look at TimM's web site or Gfw, they both have pictures of their setups. I also use them to make a makeshift second grill by putting 3 on edge on the bottom grate, putting the food on that grate, then placing my other grate on top of the bricks making a 2 tier setup. Hope this helps, holler back if you need more information.[p]Troy
  • Franco, Menard's carries them...about 6 bricks for $11 I recall. They are in a box in the fireplace area - not out in the yard. ^oo^~

• The only fire bricks I have been able to find locally, or on Amazon, are in a six pack for $30 plus. I want to use them under my Egg Sitter but not sure I want to invest that in fire bricks verses just a steel plate. Is there an advantage to using fire brick verses just a steel plate to cover the shelf that holds the Egg? Im not using any wood in my custom cabinet, all steel.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited December 2018
    I've sacrificed one into 3 chunks and use them as spacers on my platesetter.  Was also fiddling around with using one in my KAB as a divider...

Additionally, I brew beer and I use 3 as feet when I take my boiling hot kettle off of the burner.  And lastly, I've been known to throw them in the BGE/oven to heat up and add some thermal mass to a cooler when I'm taking BBQ to the lake (3 hrs away).

Not specific to your application, but another use or two for ya...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Holy resurrection, click on Unknowns profile 
    Jacksonville FL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    If you have a Tractor Supply store, they carry firebrick.
  • GregW
    Dobie said:
    Interesting. I wonder how that happens.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Proof that anything on the web is forever-hope he found the bricks.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • No Tractor Supply here or anywhere close. Im thinking I will just use a piece of 1/4" steel over the top of !" square tubing (reinforcement underneath). If I wanted to do over kill, I would think the same way a gun safe wall is built would give me a double sided support shelf. Build a frame out of square tubing and sheet it with flat steel on both sides. Fill the inside with fire rated sheet rock and you would have a very nice metal top. This is only for the shelf that the nested egg sits on (nest bing the metal bracket that is now being sold as the nest bracket to provide space under the egg).
  • GregW
    lousubcap said:
    Proof that anything on the web is forever-hope he found the bricks.  =)
    I had actually overlooked the original post date.
  • EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited December 2018
    That's my photograph of a Tri-colored Heron.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • The fire bricks are handy for draping brisket or raising grids etc. plus they won’t rust. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GregW
    I have a large pellet smoker that I use frequently to smoke a single butt or slab of baby back ribs. The thermal stability of the smoker is greatly enhanced with 25-30 pounds of fire bricks added. The only thing I've noticed about the fire bricks, they are pretty fragile.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Franco said:
    where do you get fire bricks? 
    In my area they are pretty much available everywhere. Home Depot, Lowe’s, Ace, Tractor Supply and every independent hardware store. 3 of the 5 local Walmart’s also have them in their stores. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Franco asked that question 19 years ago.  I wonder if he ever found them.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Franco asked that question 19 years ago.  I wonder if he ever found them.
    It makes one stop and ponder for a moment doesn’t it? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Tell him I got a guy.

Louisville has a fire brick manufacturer. They will make what you want, just provide the specifics for your project.

Next?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    Dobie said:
    there seems to be a glitch in the system if its linking to my profile, did not have an egg then nor have ever been to a menards
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    amazon is an amazing creation! I have found many useful items there, including fire bricks!
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Why do I feel like Rod Serling is a poster in this thread from the great beyond?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.