Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did you know these things came in purple?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Asparagus!  :D

Saw them in the Harris Teeter last night and gave them a try on the egg. 
Great taste...I don't know if I could tell the difference in a blind taste test, but to me they were particularly juicy and had a little more of a floral/fruity aroma.  I really liked them.   Again, maybe there's no difference vs. any plump asparagus, but I'll buy them again.

I served them with a NY strip and some rosemary red potatoes.  I think the red potatoes convinced me to get a cast iron grate because of it's thicker grates.  I've done this for years on my old gasser and I lost half the potatoes either in the coals or down behind the fire ring!  (will have to clean those out later).  I know they make vegetable trays and such but I'd rather not mess with another accessory or waiting for something else to heat up.  I just like to throw my veggies on before or after the meat and keep things simple...but not lose it all in the coals!  LOL

The aspargus was simple.

Anyway, here is a pic of the meal.  Sun was setting so the light is crap.  I actually overcooked the steak but damn if that egg still didn't make the most juicy and flavorful well done strip I've ever had!  I was shooting for medium rare...totally my fault.  I pulled it just under 150 thinking it'd rest and be good but I cut into a medium-well to well-done steak.  Still yummy though.  :)

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know what you think of them. I've never had them either. You know they come in white, too?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Never tried the purple ones. I cook regular green asparagus all the time.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    nice cook. love asparagus, i have a small plot with green and red, could also say white as its just green asparagus that gets no sun
    :D the red doesnt get as big in my garden but the root base isnt as old as my  green. if you never seen asparagus grow, it gets 8 plus feet tall
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Maybe that would help get my 6 year old to eat asparagus. She goes crazy for purple or orange cauliflower.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Yup, I have had the white.  At the time I thought it tastes the same...just a different color.

They all make your pee smell funny!!!  :D
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    nice cook. love asparagus, i have a small plot with green and red, could also say white as its just green asparagus that gets no sun
    :D the red doesnt get as big in my garden but the root base isnt as old as my  green. if you never seen asparagus grow, it gets 8 plus feet tall
    Ahh, it's labeled as "red"?  Good to know. 

If I grow something that doesn't get any sun...I call that a mushroom.  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Ahh, it's labeled as "red"?  Good to know. 

If I grow something that doesn't get any sun...I call that a mushroom.  :)
    been telling my god son the purple cabbage is called red, so the purple asparagus is now red as well
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it