Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ground elk

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm suppose to be able to work some magic tomorrow with one pound on ground elk. Although other dishes will be served, six peoplle will be wanting a taste of the meat.
I really need some HELP here!!
Thanks in advance!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    dawgtired,
    you are kind of limited to burgers, meatloaf or something like that. It also depends on how much fat was mixed with the meat. Because you dont want to mask the flavor things like chili are out. I would do burgers, it would give you the flavor you want and can be easily shared among 6 peeps. [p]But I am kind of biased on this, I love burgers. Trying to convince the wife they would be a great christmas dinner.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    dawgtired,
    "ground elk".
    bet it tastes alot like air-reindeer i imagine, only 'earthier'.[p]the reindeer is lighter, airier i'd imagine .[p]good grief. i'm a dork

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    stike,
    I was gonna ask if it was different then tree elk but held back. must be the coffee.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Drivr,
    yes , it's the coffee.
    switch to rum and egg nog like me. omit eggnog to taste.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    dawgtired,[p]Whatever you do, don't disguise the flavor or overcook the meat. Elk needs to be as rare as you can stand to serve it. A light rub or just a little sea salt & pepper may be all you need.[p]Why not make an appeitzer of several different meatballs since you only have one pound of elk? You could get some ground veal, pork, beef etc. Several light dipping sauces would work on the side. I use those colored toothpicks to mark each type after grilling.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    dawgtired,
    I agree with the others that since is seem as something unique to you and your guests you don't want to mask/overpower/alter radically the basic flavour of the meat. I'm also assuming that since it's 6 guests and 1 lb of ground elk, it's not meant to be the centrepiece of your meal.... LOL Since the meat is very lean, you don't want to do something to cook it to a dry finish. I'd recommend appetizer or appetizers as a good place to feature the meat. Perhaps a small plater with:
    1. Stuffed mushrooms. 1/2 lb of the meat, lightly seasoned, browned and mixed with onions, peppers, garlic and a bit of bread crumb to bind it. Cool then stuff the mushrooms and cook on the Egg. Depending on mushroom size you may even get 2 mushrooms each guest out of it.
    2. 1/3 lb of the meat, season lightly (teaspoon of CowLick?) add any ingredients you might add to your burgers. Form into silver dollar-size 'burgers'. On a small tight-wire grid, grill the mini-burgers on the Egg til medium. Use a cookie cutter (or maybe an inverted shot glass?) to cut rounds from slice(s) of bread. Brush with butter and either grill on Egg or in non-stick fry pan or in 300 oven on cookie sheet. When mini burgers are done, set on 1 toast round and top with another, securing with fancy toothpicks if neccessary, to create small elk burgers. Serve with selection of mustards (creole, dijon, german octoberfest, honey mustard etc). Optional: slice boccaccini rounds (mini mozzarellas packed in water, usually available in grocery stores) and melt onto mini burgers in latter stages of the cook.
    I dunno, just a few ideas.
    Let us know what you end up doing.