Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 probe/alarm type thermometer

Options
g37
g37 Posts: 450
I'm trying to decide which 2 probe thermometer to get. My choices r the maverick 733, ivation or the thermoworks 1. I've read some bad reviews on amazon about the maverick and ivation. There isn't any reviews on the thermoworks product. Which 1 would be the best investment? ?
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    If you have an iPhone or iPad, the answer is iGrill, definitely. Personally, I've had it with the cheap off-shore imports.
  • g37
    Options
    @Maccool‌. Thanks, I just don't wanna waste cash. Thermoworks makes great products but really expensive. I'll Google igrill.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The way I understand the IGrill family is:  IGrill Mini  has one probe.  The IGrill  has 2 probes and the IGrill2  can accomodate 4 probes.

I just found out that Bass Pro has recalled the  IGill2.  Reason was, the probes. 

I ordered the IGrill  because it can handle 2 probes.  Now, I just have to figure where to get a micro USB to Bluetooth adapter for my Android Tablet.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have given away two 2 wire and still have two in a drawer/box somewhere. Point is they have not been out in over two years. I never use anymore. I have a couple of Thermapen's and IMO that is all you ever need. No more wires.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Maccool
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Logger said:
    The way I understand the IGrill family is:  IGrill Mini  has one probe.  The IGrill  has 2 probes and the IGrill2  can accomodate 4 probes.

I just found out that Bass Pro has recalled the  IGill2.  Reason was, the probes. 

I ordered the IGrill  because it can handle 2 probes.  Now, I just have to figure where to get a micro USB to Bluetooth adapter for my Android Tablet.
    I have the original iGrill. That has been excellent, but is limited by its dependence on the original versions of Bluetooth. The new version works much better -- connectivity is not at all problematic. In the meantime, the probes have been excellent ... all have held up to hundreds of multi-probe cooks over the 3.5 years I've had the device, even the dome temp probe.

Currently I have a single-probe iGrill mini in addition to my original version iGrill. Works great. Excellent battery life, very small size, excellent wireless performance. I note that, as of yesterday in fact, they've announced that there is now an Android app. I guess you can still buy the original version iGrill, but it's only $20 less than the 4-probe version and I'd shell out the $99 if I was buying a new one. (As a technophile, I'm wrestling with this concept now).

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have had the Ivation from Amazon for the 4 or 5 months and the only problem is sometimes it losses connection with the transmitter while I am sleeping, but I just push the light button and it links back up. Its been accurate and it is nice to be doing something else while cooking and keeping an eye on temp is nice. I also have the Thermoworks ThermoPop and is been great to so I would think their dual probe would be great too, but pricey. If you have money go with Thermoworks. IGrill is interesting, but I don't know anything about it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • g37
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks 4 the advice. I'm probably gonna get the maverick 733.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    g37 said:
    Thanks 4 the advice. I'm probably gonna get the maverick 733.

Wait!

While I have heard very good things about the maverick on here, I don't care for it.  I have had one for awhile and hate it.  It is a royal pain to setup and the range sucks.

Again, many people like them but this is just my opinion.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Reliance on bluetooth eliminated iGrill for me.  My maverick has worked fine.
    NOLA
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    I think mine is predecessor model 732 and it works very well--high and low temp alarms on pit sensor so would wake me up if fire went too low or too high on lo/slo.  However, I eventually purchased the auber pit controller, and quit worrying about me or wife being awakened in middle of night.  The auber was about $135 or so--just google it. 
  • g37
    Options
    Thanks
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • cajuncook
    Options
    I have an igrill 1 and am not pleased with it. The range is very limited and it loses connection too often.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Maccool
    edited August 2014
    Options
    cajuncook said:
    I have an igrill 1 and am not pleased with it. The range is very limited and it loses connection too often.

I agree, the original isn't as smooth as the current version. My new one appears to be bulletproof, as far as I can tell over the 6 months or so that I've had it, probably 50 cooks.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I have the Maverick 733 and think its a quality product. I had a heck of a time figuring out the programming . i have watched a couple you tube videos and am finally getting the hang of it. Its pretty easy after you figure it out. ( thank God for you tube  for us old farts !) 
    Danville, Il
  • g37
    Options
    @mshump‌ thanks. I just got done watching the youtube review of 733. It looks like a really buy.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    @g37 You are welcome ! 
    Danville, Il