Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Souse Vide at its best. Thatgrimguy can cook!

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Just got home from visiting with @Thatgrimguy‌. First let me say that I have never ate sous vide until today. I have heard all the hype but was kind of skeptical. Well @Thatgrimguy‌ made a believer out of me. He served up some of the very best tri tip I have ever ate. He served the best chicken breast I have ever ate period. The Ribeyes were to die for. My wife was so impressed she is ordering a sous vide machine as I type this and she has my blessing to do so. This guy is the real deal. He can really cook. I was blown away by what I was eating. When he gives advice or recommendations in the future I will be listening and taking notes for sure. He and his wife are excellent people for sure. His wife is a true lady in every sense of the word. He was kind enough to hook me up with some Rockwood while I was there. If you ever have the chance to meet him do yourself a favor and jump at it. The man is a sous vide champ and a pro egger to say the least. It was a true honor.
Can't get pics to load due to weather. Will post them when the weather clears.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Been wanting to get one myself,,,, Souse Vide Pig Head
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    I would like to add if he invites you to his home go. His property and home are about as nice as it gets. His place is beyond beautiful. You wont believe it until you actually see it. You will think you are in Hawaii. It's that nice. Breath taking to say the least.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @cazzy‌
    The pic doesn't even come close to doing it justice. It's one of those things you have to see to believe. It's breath taking. Literally.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    The food was as impressive as the view. He is the real deal without question or doubt.

Status- Standing by.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• @Cazzy fear not, I could show you a picture of my backyard (but I'm not) and it would make yours look like Augusta National.

Little Rock, AR

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @SGH you have met a lot of guys from the forum in last couple of weeks. That is awesome! If I am ever out your way I am stopping by! 

@Cazzy that was hilarious. You said a lot without saying much. I like that! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    @johnkitchens‌
    You are always welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @travisstrick‌
    Who is the family in the photo?

Status- Standing by.

• johnkitchens
    Thanks @SGH. The next time I go to Baton Rouge I will look you up! 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's Travis's family.   With a purdy view. 
    Dave Chappelle! 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    SGH said:
    @travisstrick‌ Who is the family in the photo?
    It's my wife, son and I. My dad and grandmother are next to us. Thats the view of the santa rosa sound from my dads deck. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited August 2014
    I can't tell you how much we enjoyed it @SGH. My wife and I both said as soon as y'all left how nice it was. Couldn't have to more down to earth, easy to talk to people over. I really hope we can have ya'll over again and look forward to coming to visit you sometime. 

You are too kind. What I can cook, I can cook pretty well. But I lack the diversity of many of the guys and gals on the forum. Love to cook though!

The Tri-Tip was from the Lobels of New York and it was done reverse sear on the small egg. I cut it over a board sauce with EVOO, sage, thyme and parsley.

The Grass Fed ribeye was started in the Sous Vide this morning at 131 so it could tenderize then seared on a cast iron comal. I put a compound butter over it after it was finished and let that melt indirect in the small.

The Chicken was done in the Sous Vide supreme at 140 then seared in the comal as well. Seasoned with s/p, onion and garlic.

The veggies were done in the oven, because we were planning on adjusting the XL so I didn't want to get it hot. They came out really good though. EVOO, spog.  We had squash, onions, carrots, and brussel sprouts.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Sounds like next time I make a trip down that way I need to pick up SGH and then come to your place.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Brother it was spectacular. Y'all are more than welcome here any time. Just say when.

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    That would be great @biggreenpharmacist

You can post that pic you took of the food if you want @SGH
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    This earned the SGH seal of approval. No question of it.imageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @nolaegghead‌
    Check out the above pics^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Let me add that @Thatgrimguy‌ held his own on the eating. He is a brother carnivore.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    SGH can eat. image

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like the fleur de lis glass.  :)

@SGH - sous vide will open up a new world to you.  Get the Polyscience Professional (what I have and it's commercial duty) or one of the Polyscience home models, which are very good.  You can put these "heads" in anything - I use a 40qt cooler or 16qt pot most frequently.  
    We polished off every bit of it! And yes sir, you can eat! Big compliment, imo. 

It really was a great night. Thanks again.
  • SGH
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    When the food is that good I don't mind doing my part! Will help you clean the plate whenever you want!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @nolaegghead‌
    It's ordered. You going to have to come give me lessons on it!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    A gift from @Thatgrimguy‌. Thanks again my friend.image

Status- Standing by.

• johnkitchens
    Have you ever tried Rockwood @SGH?