Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love my @Carolina Q inspired diy baking steel

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,528
edited August 2014 in Off Topic
I've been using the steel to reverse sear egged steak or SV steak.  Tried it for pizza the first time and very pleased. OT because it was done in the kitchen gas box.  Bakery bought dough, home made pesto sauce, mozzarella cheese and thin sliced potato drizzled with olive oil. Prebaked dough for couple of minutes on parchment paper to firm up, removed paper, added sauce/toppings, back on steel for 10 minutes @ 500.  The pizza bottom is amazing, not sure how much better it can be in the egg overall, but so much easier.

canuckland

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Glad you're enjoying it. I had every intention of trimming mine so it would fit the egg, or buying another smaller one, but still haven't done either. Haven't had a pizza since then either. But... My steel does fit in my weber! And a hot, quick griddle cook is great no matter the grill!

Btw, on the weber, I banked the coals on one side so that direct heat is under about 1/4-1/3 of the plate. Don't remember the temp difference from one end to the other, but I measured it with my IR and it was significant. Last time I used it, had burgers at the hot end, caramelized onions at the other. Nice!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I got two pieces.  Trimmed one to fit the Large and the other to fit the spider ... used my angle grinder with metal cutting disc to notch the corners.  The smaller one also fits nicely on my induction cooktop.  I doubled them up for the pizza cook.
    canuckland
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options

Looks awesome Gary

Still have to try the tater pie

I hear its killer.

Have to grab one of these, I am hooked on flat top burgers right now

:))

Shane

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options

Hey Michael

Great read

I tried this method last night on the DO lid , worked out great

Here, I thought you were just my "go to" pizza guy

:))

Shane

• Canugghead
    Options
    Shane - yes it's quick and easy, I was rushing, should have added some rosemary and basil from the garden.

Michael - interesting read... my CI panini press is ribbed so it won't work well ... if I can attach a non-intrusive handle to the smaller baking steel I can just drop it on the meat balls and don't even have to press!
    canuckland