Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use their thermopen to calibrate the dome thermometer?

Options
mlamb01
mlamb01 Posts: 210
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
During a L&S pork butt this past weekend, I noticed how my grate and dome temp were off by about 50 degrees, even after the lid had not been opened for 8+ hours.  I had the idea of sticking the thermopen down thru the holes on the daisy wheel.  After about a minute, the temp stabilized, and matched the digital probe I had on the grate.  If I had a thin wrench, I could slip it between the dome and the back of the gauge, and calibrate it while still in the egg.  Might even try this at a higher temp, like 350 or 450, for better accuracy during calibration.

If I had used this method instead of the boiling water method, I might not have a foggy thermometer...

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    That assumes that your thermapen is calibrated, boiling water is more accurate, imo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited August 2014
    Options
    mlamb01 said:

If I had used this method instead of the boiling water method, I might not have a foggy thermometer...
    not sure I followed that rationale! The probe never sucked water up like a straw and surely you didn't submerge the whole thermometer under water did you? Fact of the matter is the Tel-Tru's are sealed far better than the old BGE brand, but seepage can still occur. Only 1 of my 4 Tel-Trus has condensation inside and they are 9 years old. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    They may be more tightly sealed than older ones, but they are not water tight. I was cooking ribs on the Fourth of July and had a brand new thermometer in use. Rain shower hit and before you know it, the thermometer had a puddle inside. Still working on getting all of the moisture out.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Drill a small hole in the bottom of your thermometer @jtcBoynton and @mlamb01

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I use my thermapen to see if I have a temperature, and, to see how my home A/C is working, etc. I use my grill thermocouple system to calibrate my dome thermometer, because I want to know what the temp in the Egg near the food is. I can't really get my thermapen in there. I've checked the 'exhaust' coming out of the dome before with the thermapen and it is close to the thermocouples inside once everything reaches steady state. 
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    RRP said:

mlamb01 said:

not sure I followed that rationale! The probe never sucked water up like a straw and surely you didn't submerge the whole thermometer under water did you? Fact of the matter is the Tel-Tru's are sealed far better than the old BGE brand, but seepage can still occur. Only 1 of my 4 Tel-Trus has condensation inside and they are 9 years old. 

My factory equipped dome thermometer was perfectly clear until I calibrated it in boiling water. I only submerged the tip, but I think the rising steam off of the pot got moisture inside the dial.
  • msocko3
    msocko3 Posts: 35
    Options
    My factory equipped dome probe has seen snow, rain, sleet and boiling water for calibration. I have no signs of moisture inside.