Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket a goner

Options
We only have the egg 2 months and today when we were cooking a pizza, it came off. I know it a warranty thing but can we continue to use the egg till the new one comes or will it damage it? Are they very hard to install?

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I see a Rutland in your future :-). Contact @RRP‌

Or you could contact your dealer and put an OEM nomex style gasket back on. Ron can give you detailed instructions on how to install the Rutland. If you opt for the OEM there are many tutorial YouTube videos out there.

Edit: you should have no problem continuing to use. There are folks here that have been gasketless for years. For obvious reasons I would advise making sure you have as good of seal between dome & base.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I used my egg for months with no gasket. It doesn't hurt the ceramic at all nor does it affect your warranty in any way. Read what @NPHuskerFL‌ wrote above. He gave solid and sound advice my friend. And gaskets are very easy to install. Nothing to it at all.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Two months and the gasket is gone? Wonder if it was a BGE Nomex style gasket? sounds like the old felt version to me. I'd get a high temp BGE replacement from the dealer anyway, it is covered under warranty and like many here who pick up fire rings or setters under warranty, hang on to it in case you might need it. 
    A Rutland wood stove gasket will last forever, but a forum member was going through a warranty issue and BGE was giving him some flack over the Rutland. Not sure how it turned out, but if you ever have a dome or base issue, have the BGE gasket on hand to make your egg street legal if need be.
    For pizza, the setter was legs up, right? If you cooked legs down, the gasket will burn much faster. 
    My High-Que Nomex is going on three years old and we do pizza at least once a month. Still doing its thing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    +1 on the High Que nomex gasket (Amazon). I couldn't get the Rutland to stay down, although others have had better luck. Scrape the old one off with a paint scraper, finish with a 3M stripper wheel on a cordless drill or a Scotchbrite pad on an orbital sander (which is what worked best for me). I always do pizza legs down.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Acetone works really good without having to bust out the power tools
    NW IOWA
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited August 2014
    Options
    If I bought a new egg I would remove the gasket and put on a Rutland from RRP! This is the best way to go!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    We only have the egg 2 months and today when we were cooking a pizza, it came off. I know it a warranty thing but can we continue to use the egg till the new one comes or will it damage it? Are they very hard to install?

Yes, you can continue to use it. Some here have gone gasket less without any issues. It isn't hard to replace. There are plenty of youtube videos you can watch. Call the Mothership and have them send you a new high temp gasket for free. Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Rutland. Don't even bother with anything else. I've replaced brand new gaskets without any cooks on them to put on a Rutland. The other gaskets just don't last.

Get the Nomex gasket replacement from Big Green Egg. (They should send it to you for free if you make a warranty claim) You can use it to line the inside of your ceramic top for a tighter fit when placed on your eggs dome. I highly recommend the Rutland gasket for the base replacement though
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Desertegghead
    Options
    I am not sure what a nomex gasket looks like but this one does look like felt. Thanks for the info guys, I think we will go with the high temp from BGE and get a Rutland when that one fails!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Maccool said:
    +1 on the High Que nomex gasket (Amazon). I couldn't get the Rutland to stay down, although others have had better luck. Scrape the old one off with a paint scraper, finish with a 3M stripper wheel on a cordless drill or a Scotchbrite pad on an orbital sander (which is what worked best for me). I always do pizza legs down.
    The original BGE set up for pizza was a legs down setter, stone on the setter. As many cook more than one pie, the egg is often filled to the top of the fire ring. Legs down forces the flames/heat to the outside right at the gasket level, burning the gasket. Legs up allows forces the flame/heat to the outside well below the gasket level. BGE now suggests legs up, grid and then stone on grid. This also improves air flow around the stone. Many here raise the stone even higher in the dome using the reflected dome heat to help cook the toppings. Try legs up and see how you like it, and your gasket will thank you.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    +1 on a Rutland.  It was plenty easy to install, cheap, and appears that it should last for many years.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Definately just contact RRP get the Rutland and you'll be a happy camper

I havent had a gasket on my LBGE for probably 5 years. so i ordered one from RRP myself a few weeks ago
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options

The original BGE set up for pizza was a legs down setter, stone on the setter. As many cook more than one pie, the egg is often filled to the top of the fire ring. Legs down forces the flames/heat to the outside right at the gasket level, burning the gasket. Legs up allows forces the flame/heat to the outside well below the gasket level. BGE now suggests legs up, grid and then stone on grid. This also improves air flow around the stone. Many here raise the stone even higher in the dome using the reflected dome heat to help cook the toppings. Try legs up and see how you like it, and your gasket will thank you.
    My High Que gasket has held up well for 3 years, several 650 degree legs-down pizzas, but your description certainly sounds plausible and I'll give it a try next time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I am not sure what a nomex gasket looks like but this one does look like felt. Thanks for the info guys, I think we will go with the high temp from BGE and get a Rutland when that one fails!
      The felt gasket is dark grey.  The nomex gasket should be close to white. 
    The Naked Whiz