Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying spices online

Options
Where is a good place to buy spices online?
Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I have just placed an order with Penzeys, they have a great selection of spices and this was recommended by a member on the forum @KenfromMI..Take a look.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    What spices? If you are looking for spices often used in specific cuisines, such as Indian, an online vendor specializing in those can be a good source. Another example, Pendrey's of Ft. Worth has a fine selection of chilis, which is their speciality.

I've made purchases from the Spice House. They grind their spices and blends frequently, and so are reliably fresh. They are not far from me, so the shipping is minimal.

I'm lucky to live in an area that has several Oriental, Indian, and Mexican markets. I can find very good quality spices and herbs there, generally for a fraction of what i would pay at a standard super market. If you live 30 - 40 miles from such a place, it could be worth a trip.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I am not sure what you have locally available. Often times natural foods stores will have good spices in bulk. Whole foods is another example.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Penzey's is great. I buy the larger bulk sizes and keep it in the freezer in vacuum sealed bags.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I also like Penzys, but use My Spicer in Colorado for  bulk items.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Penzey's has a store in Franklin, but that may be quite a drive for you. 
    Their spices are excellent and if you order $30 they ship free. Along with ancho, English Prime Rib, Berbere and some of their salt free mixes, Arizona Dreaming and Forward, couple of orders a year keeps me in fresh top quality seasoning. 

There are many others, the Spice House is also very good. If you know what you are looking at, @gdenby suggests local ethnic markets, the quality is good and the price is right. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    + Penzys.

They are one of the few companies that sell pure, high quality spices.  Many companies add corn starch as a de-caking agent, which is made with GMO corn.  
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I buy Bad Byron's and Head Country rub in the 7 lb jugs. Bb sent an t-shirt, sticker, huggie, magnet and a handwritten thank you note.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2014
    Options
    if your needing lump when your ordering you can get lots of rubs from firecraft also
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    If you research I believe the Spice House was opened by a member of the Penzey family that branched out on their own.
    Dearborn MI
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I also like Penzys, but use My Spicer in Colorado for  bulk items.

Have you tried their Ancho Rib Rub? Is it salty?
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm very happy to have a Penzey's store in the area.  Everything I've gotten from them has been good.  I don't buy a ton of their pre-mixed seasonings, but I remember their barbecue rub and steak seasoning were both serviceable.  The salad dressing mixes are really nice if you want to make something a little higher quality than what you can get out of a bottle.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    If you research I believe the Spice House was opened by a member of the Penzey family that branched out on their own.

The Spice House was first, founded by Bill Penzey in 1957. Then, inherited by his daughter, Patty, in 1992. Little brother, Bill Jr, opened Penzey's as a catalog store in 1986 and hs first brick and mortar in 1994.

Might be fun to be a fly on the wall at a family gathering, hmm? :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    I have used WholeSpice.com a lot and I really like them.  Once you use them and join their email list they will send 30 or 40% off coupons out every once in a while.  I have also used The Spice House.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I use Bolner's Fiesta Spices. The online store is great. Good selection of dried peppres.

Fiestaspices.com

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great info. T place I have used a few times is My spice Sage, they do not sell rubs but their spices are great. But I am going to try some of  the sites you people said were good. Thanks again,I love this place!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Thanks Carolina, I had it backwards.
    Dearborn MI