Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nolaegghead vs SGH. SGH wins by submission.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Me and my wife had the honor of meeting Nola and his wife today. Let me say that they are both wonderful people. I have been blessed this past week as I have had the good fortune to get to spend time with the Biggreenpharmacist and his wonderful family at my home and today with brother Nola and his wonderful wife at their home. If all goes well I will be meeting Thatgrimguy tomorrow afternoon. Let me say that brother Nola is a very accomplished cook. He is also a very skilled craftsman as well.
That being said we had a friendly wager on who could eat the most. At first brother Nola held his own pretty good but in the end SGH emerged as the undisputed heavyweight eating champ! Nola thanks for having us man. Me and my wife had a blast. Whenever you want a rematch at eating just let me know my friend. It's was our honor brother. Glad to finally meet you my friend. Hope y'all make over this way next weekend. Pics to come of the eat off in a bit. Just got home.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Awesome! It's always great meeting fellow eggheads especially ones on the forum. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Brother husker you are next on my list. Coming to Florida the first weekend in September. And you are correct my friend. It is a pleasure to get to meet such fine folks.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Nola's plate.image

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    @SGH‌ maybe I'll have my Max by then and we could take the wives for a lil beach time in St Augustine. I'll hold my breath on the Max delivery though. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH'S plates.imageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Good gracious that's some serious eats! Loving the oysters. :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Brother that would be awesome.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Brother husker I'm a true champion when it comes to eating. I can throw down!!

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    @SGH‌ I can tell bro. I've been known to cook all day and eat a lil here and there. But, I get joy from others enjoying the meals I make. I'm kooky that way :-)
    Edit: no way I would conquer in an eating contest. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Then let me offer my services my friend. As long as you want to stand there and cook I will be more than glad to sit there and eat! ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Autographed Nola's car tag.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    For desert. More oysters.image

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    @SGH‌ I love oysters. But, I was was always taught since I moved to FL to buy fresh oysters only in months with "R" in them. Next month I'm thinking of getting a bushel or bushel and a half.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I love them too brother. If your oysters come from the Gulf you do not have to follow the rule of months with a "r" in them. You can eat them any time that they are available my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Ah...gotcha. Maybe that's a FL thang. I've followed that rule of thumb and our fresh FL oysters have been excellent. I have NEVER done them on the egg so I'm looking forward to it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Brother they are beyond excellent grilled. Matter of fact they are excellent raw, fried, stewed, baked, grilled or about any other way that you can think off. I have never encountered a oyster I didn't like!

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    I'm a raw kinda guy. But the wife and rest of the fam would likely prefer cooked. I haven't done them in :-/ ...at least 12 yrs. I'd say it's been long enough. #-o
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    That's way to long my friend. You are over due some oysters!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @SGH - We enjoyed meeting y'all!

Yeah, the "R" in the month thing is a myth.  Water quality isn't as good in the hot months but you can buy oysters here year round and if they're sold, they're certified to eat raw.  They'll close beds if the water quality fails on, I believe, the coliform bacteria levels ("poop" bacteria).

Let me say officially that SGH is real and he and his wife are outstanding people. 

We plan on stopping by his crib in the near future.   I was told I can drive his tractor....and I told SGH he can drive the Porsche. 

Good times!
    Okay, the raw oysters I figured out. What the heck is everything else???? :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SGH
    @PNWFoodie‌
    Raw oysters, grilled oysters, fried oysters, oysters Rockefeller, fried shrimp, fried catfish, barbecue shrimp, hush puppies, French fries and steak. Nothing to big but a hardy meal nonetheless.

Status- Standing by.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    You sound like Bubba Gump
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SGH
    @JethroVA‌
    I can eat more than Bubba Gump! ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Holy Hannah! I would need Carl's Crane Service to get me out of there after eating all of that.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SGH
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌
    I could barely walk. Literally my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I love oysters every way.  I'm going back to Memphis in a couple weekends and I plan on doing the same thing.  I will probably put 5 lbs on that weekend.  There is a place there that does "hot shucks".  They char grill a raw oyster while topping it with melted garlic butter.  Then the last 2 min on the grill they add a jalapeno and shredded cheese.  2nd favorite way to eat them, raw is 1st.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    @saluki2007‌
    That's me brother. I love oysters any way that they are served. I put on a few pounds myself last night! Really enjoyed myself. I ate more than I should have.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks like a great time, I love the oysters!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    @JRWhitee‌
    Brother let me tell you that Nola and his wife are great people. Can't wait to see them again. They may get to come over here the weekend. Me and my wife really enjoyed ourselves.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @JRWhitee‌
    The oysters were par excellent to say the least. All of them!

Status- Standing by.