Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry Tree Question

Options
I have a Kwansan and a Yoshino cherry tree that need pruning.  Can either or both of them be used as a smoker in the BGE?  Somebody told me that I needed to use a "Real" cherry tree and not one of the flowering varieties.  I don't want to ruin the meal, but cherry smoke sounds tasty to me.

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Cherry wood is great.To be safe just buy some.. it is pretty cheap! (My 2 cents)
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @NewEggGuy1945‌ Welcome! I know the cherry trees I have here at my home work for smoking. However, a lil goes a LONG ways. I tend to use the Black Cherry Chunks I purchased. But, yes you can use it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    @NewEggGuy1945‌ Welcome! I know the cherry trees I have here at my home work for smoking. However, a lil goes a LONG ways. I tend to use the Black Cherry Chunks I purchased. But, yes you can use it.
    a friend of mine has some cherry trees and offered me some of the wood, do you need to do anything special to it, or just chunk it and put it on the fire....

Booch- from Medina, Ohio