Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Rub

Options
Beg your pardon if this has been asked before:

If you could only have one rub - what would it be???

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    The most versatile rub that we like is Dizzy Pig Raging River. It goes great on pork, chicken, veggies and fish. Unlike some rubs it does not mask the meat's natural taste, but somehow magically enhances all those foods.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    +1 on Dizzy Pig Raging River

Options
    henapple said:

I like happy ending. Always great.

With money?
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I'm on the Raging River bandwagon as well.

SPOG is a simple and easy one to make which is great on anything as well.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Have to say if I just had one I would go with raising the steaks. Hard to go wrong with salt and pepper based rub.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Raising the Steaks is a favorite of mine. Good on burgers, chickens, beef, and pork, the whole nine yards. Im also pretty partial to the Oakridge Competition rub, but it's pretty expensive for what it is, so I don't use it all the time.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Anything 'Oakridge' ... buy it direct, it's half the price of what Amazon wants.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Rudy's
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Metalmaker
    Options
    Haven't tried Raging River yet. Lately it's been Dizzy dust mixed half and half with Old Bay.
    Cookin' outside in central Minnesota
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Willies hog dust out of SC
    MBGE in Charleston

• DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Jeff Philips' rub.  He sells the recipe for $10, but you make it yourself.  I bought it as he had a money-back guarantee and I was nervous on my very first smoked ribs.  They came out great and I've been using it since as well as getting his weekly newsletter which has great recipes in it.  I really don't see any reason to buy prepared rubs as you make your own so easy and for a lot less money.  Lots of great recipes out there on the web and then you tweak them to suit your taste or diet.  On Jeff Philip's rub, I skip the sugar, though, for dietary reasons and use a bit of honey.  Works the same, just a bit "gooey".

If you stock up on bulk spices from Penzey's, making homemade rubs is really easy.  I always use a food processor to blend them as it mixes really evenly.  Then, store any extra in a mason jar or zip lock bag until the next smoke.  I label the extra with the food I'm smoking "Wings", "Pork Butts", etc.  

--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill