Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg canopy

Options
I was looking at NPHuskerFL post about tropical burgers and began to wonder if one of the four leg canopies would stand up to an Iowa winter.  Snow load might be the biggest issue but cold and wind must certainly be considered.  I have been trying to figure out a way to cover my Egg area to allow more use in inclement weather but as of yet no love.  I have a wood deck so modification to at least put a roof above is within reason, just haven't determined a way that will work with our house and not look like it came from the Wile E. Coyote school of engineering .
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The canopies are not good for much snow. I used one a couple years ago in Georgia when we got a couple inches and I had to knock the snow off several times cause it was gathering. It would work fine if you were there to monitor it but not just to leave up. If you have a wood deck it shouldn't be hard to modify it and add a roof over your egging area. From all the recent talk about fires on wooden decks you might want to consider pouring a seperate grilling slab and covering it.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

What @Lit‌ said above.^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I was looking at NPHuskerFL post about tropical burgers and began to wonder if one of the four leg canopies would stand up to an Iowa winter.  Snow load might be the biggest issue but cold and wind must certainly be considered.  I have been trying to figure out a way to cover my Egg area to allow more use in inclement weather but as of yet no love.  I have a wood deck so modification to at least put a roof above is within reason, just haven't determined a way that will work with our house and not look like it came from the Wile E. Coyote school of engineering .

As you know I'm over here in IL and typically we share the same winter weather. I've been a dedicated egghead for 14 years now and that means year around. I do not have a roof over my eggs. I do use a cheap tarp from Harbor Freight in the snow season and throw that over my egg table the next morning. I also keep a snow shovel right outside the back door when necessary to get out to my table. Not sure my reply has helped, but where there is a will there is an egger willing to suck up the rain, cold or snow to get out to egg!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    @rrp I'm dreading the Wisconsin winter already. I'm thinking about buying a propane patio heater to run while I egg.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited August 2014
    Options
    jerryb78 said:
    @rrp I'm dreading the Wisconsin winter already. I'm thinking about buying a propane patio heater to run while I egg.

I hear you...but how about doing some training now to do wind sprints? Also I thought rum recipes were issued at the border when folks move to WI. See? Not all of us south of WI are FIBs! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    I just got one from Lowe's that has a rounded dome top and 4 walls that zip shut.  It should be ok for winters here in Montana, but I doubt the integrity of the material will last into fall of 2014.  A suggestion would be to check out one of those 4 sided garages or outdoor storage structures you can find at Harbor Freight for about 200 or Costco for about 300.  I went with this structure from Lowes because SWMBO liked the more ornate lines.

Please share if you find a decent solution-  
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Anyway you can keep your egg in the garage and roll it out when you need it? Being from Minnesota winter can be a pain in the a*s when grilling. Rolling it out from the garage a few feet works pretty slick. The garage blocks all the nasty cold wind and no need to trudge through the snow when it's only a few feet from snow free garage slab.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    @Lit
    My property is too sloped for any slab that would be in a convenient area from the house following a snow storm of any accumulation. I may look further into deck mods.
    @RRP
    I had a push broom outside the door last year but you know what kind of winter we had and the snow got too deep to deal with.  It was also my first winter after double knee replacement so I was very leary about falling.  Maybe this year winter will be a bit better.
    WeberWho?
    My garage is on the opposite side of my house so no go there and I would have to move the Egg and table down a flight of stairs to get it to the front.  Even if in the garage my driveway is sloped enough that the table would not sit level.

I just figured out that I bought the wrong darned house for Egging.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @bettysnephew‌ Thanks :-)
    Normally speaking I don't have the pop-up dond over the egg. But, our forecast called for rain rain and more rain so there ya go. It is something that I definitely like having available. I strap it down so it won't fly away. I'll leave it up until I'm complete on Sunday's cook. Then I just put my cover on. As far as snow I would say the weight load would be too much. You would probably need something more permanent to hold up to the snow weight load.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I had a slanted driveway. Put locking casters on the front legs and put 2 of the hand cranks like they have on boat trailers to level the table. Think they are like $50 at harbor freight.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    How about a retractable awning over the doorwall?
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Metalmaker
    Options
    I have one that I leave up year round. Wife got it at a BGE dealer. It's about 5 feet by about 8 feet with a fabric canopy. It's been 2 winters now. I do knock the snow off every time it snows.
    Cookin' outside in central Minnesota
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    What is this "Snow" you speak of?.....
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    @Texansurf
    Sure rub it in!  I recently retired but the wife plans on working for a few more years so am still stuck in this Winter Wonderland.  Of course we do not have killer snakes to step on or scorpions in our boots.  A small bit of consolation for now.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    If you build a pergola over it you make it look nice, and for the winter you can add either a couple of see through plastic roofing panels or son tin roofing panels to keep snow/schmuts off.  Take the panels off when the weather is nice and you have a nice shade structure.
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Come to think of it, I recall Sam's Club had a metal grill gazebo a couple of years back though I haven't seen one recently.  That might work if it doesn't rust.  Anyone tried one of those?
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    As I recall from eastern Ontario winters, snow load could be planned for, the big issue with temporary covers was cold and wind. The material used in the pop-ups does not like it when the temps go below 0ºF and there is even a mild breeze, let alone a blizzard. They pretty much self destruct. 

SIL has a Costco metal gazebo, they use for summer shade and put mosquito netting around it for summer patio use. It does sit out all year and has taken the eastern Ontario winters in stride for the past 3 or 4 years. Was not cheap, prolly similar to the Sam's Club one. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    That is on the same line, but looks much sturdier.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I purchased a metal 16x12 patio cover from lowes last week and it should be delivered tomorrow or Tuesday.  They attach to the house and you can also install these over a deck. I will post pics after I get it installed.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• bettysnephew
    Options
    Thanks, looking forward to seeing it.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I used a 10' x 10' EZ-Up pop-up tent for many many years before I had my grill gazebo built. I basically used them April through November. They certainly aren't meant to hold up the snow loads we get in a Norther New England winter. The first one lasted six years. The new one I got didn't survive the first summer. They had "value engineered" the new model so it cost the same as the old model, but used cheaper and less parts. The roof had less reinforcing struts than the old one and it quickly began collecting water in heavy rain storms. The water would make the roof fabric sag, which would make it collect more water, which would make it sag more…. There was no way to stretch the roof material tight. After three months of use I had to get rid of it. I was worried the roof would collapse and bring the thing tumbling down onto my brand-new Egg and other two grills. I ended up taking the thing down at 2 AM during a torrential rainstorm because it was on the verge of collapse after 10 minutes of rain.

The other thing to remember is you won't always be around all the time to babysit this thing when a rainstorm comes. So I would say the current EZ- Ups are not going to be up to the task. In the company's defense this is NOT what they were designed for anyway.

If you are interested here is a link to a blog entry I wrote about my experience with the new EZ-Up: http://grillinsmokin.net/blog_main/blog_2012/files/ez-up_ez-down.php

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    This will be my first winter with my new BBq  buddy and i plane on useing as much as pausable i do have a snow blower that will keep my area snow free for the weather just bundle up and enjoy the taste of my BGE 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now