Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smelly

Options
Just opened some ribs. Sell by 7-16-14. That have been refrigerated. Washed em with cold water and dried them. Tried to get rid of all the blood smell. Still a pretty good smell. What say you?

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    You already know the answer. 2 weeks past sell by, not frozen and stinky...
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Toss. Not worth food poisoning
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Pitch them. Not worth it at all. Even if you chance it you're gonna worry about it in back of your mind and wont enjoy the cook or eating them.

Little Rock, AR

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    When I was young, healthy, and usually starving, I would have chanced it. Not any more.

A better test than smell is sliminess. Bad smells are a good indicator that there has been pathogen growth, but some of the toxic ones don't make a bad smell. A slimy surface indicates the flesh is being broken down, and isn't worth much even if the smell can be reduced.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Try it and report back to let us know how it was!

Options
    Oh anOhnd O

Options
    I'd cook them up and eat them if they taste good.
    Options
    Pics or it did not happen!

I'd cook them
    Up and overnight them to NOLA to test 'em.

Little Rock, AR

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Oh yeah?!  I'll eat em.  Prosciutto is raw pork cured for about a year and eaten raw.  No way you'll have botulism, not air tight.  Any other common food bacteria in meat isn't going to leave a toxin that's still there after a rib cook - them ribs be sterilized.
    Options
    If the odor is not to the point of smelling "rotting" I would cook them no question of it. Have done it several times and no one knew any difference.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Ah, go ahead and cook and eat em. If you don't post back we'll know not to do this.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I disagree with @nolaegghead‌ with the botulism and being airtight. Clostridium botulinum is anaerobic and thrives with little to no oxygen. That's why foods with a high PH have to be pressure canned. Pressure canning allows the contents of the container to exceed the typical boiling point and kill the spores.
    I agree with @Thatgrimguy‌ . I think you know what to do.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    stemc33 said:

I disagree with @nolaegghead‌ with the botulism and being airtight. Clostridium botulinum is anaerobic and thrives with little to no oxygen. That's why foods with a high PH have to be pressure canned. Pressure canning allows the contents of the container to exceed the typical boiling point and kill the spores.

I agree with @Thatgrimguy‌ . I think you know what to do.

not air tight

Botulism does not smell anything so it's not an indicator.

Nola said "not air tight".

Botulism is not what I would be worried about here.

From a bacteriological standpoint, the ribs will be fine after being cooked. However, they may not taste good anymore... or they may still taste ok.

edited August 2014
    Options
    I have eaten the worst looking and tasting stuff when I had too .Drank water that was essentially mud.  .BUT that was another time and another place .Necessity will make you do a lot of things you normally would not do . Unless you are on the verge of starvation and have nothing else ,throw them away!!! Ain't worth taking a chance . If you own an egg I think you could afford to loose the money spent on those rotting,sticking,bad ribs.
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    I think the fact that you are even asking the question means you really know the answer. When in doubt toss it out.
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    No smell, not slimy, I'd cook it. If it didn't look right/smell right/taste right, I'd toss them...but I'd at least give it a try.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I wouldn't tell you what to do but I would eat them if the smell dissipated after an hour or. Those ribs have weeks left to be fresh if they are in cryo. Pork is notoriously stinky when you crack the cryo. It can clear the house and then it just disappears after a bit. If they aren't green slimy and super smelly after a bit, i'd hit em.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Thanks for the info @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ I've noticed that smell when I opened my ribs and often debated in throwing them out. The only reason I didn't was the vac seal was good and they were well before expiration date. I know meat is good past expiration dates, but psychologically I just have issues with it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I threw out a whole loin that was in date a few months back. Just wouldnt have enjoyed it and would have hated myself if I made somebody sick.

Little Rock, AR

• joejoeshooter
    Options
    I went ahead and cooked all three of them I used dizzy pig, dizzy dust. I even felt like I was wasting the dizzy dust. I cooked them on the egg using the correct method, and they look incredible. I brought them in the house and my wife said they still stunk. I didn't necessarily smell it myself, but I decided to go ahead and ditch them. I ended up cooking chicken on the Egg
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I won't eat anything that stinks red, white or pink.