Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first pizzas ever...

Options
Tonight I cooked my first and second pizzas ever on my LBGE. The first one is a supreme cooked high in the dome (way to high) for 10 minutes at 425* The edges were burnt but the rest of the pie tasted great and the cheese browned up nicely. The second pie is a meat lovers with onions cooked rim high at 400* for 10 minutes. This one tasted better but the cheese didn't brown up at all and the crust was edible. I guess practice makes perfect, I'm open to any advice you may have to offer...
The Gator Nation, Central Florida
LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
GO GATORS!!!

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    nice looking pies!!!!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Those pies look very nice.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    Looks tasty! :) What is your setup? Might be able to provide some advice. Looks like you have a platesetter with feet down, with the stone on top. Are you using anything to separate your pizza stone from the platesetter? There needs to be a slight gap between the 2 for air flow.
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    @Dyal you are correct P/S feet down with the stone on top. The stone has ridges in the bottom so I didn't separate it from the P/S with anything. Are you saying there should be more space for better air flow or would the ridges be enough? I also used corn meal on the stone and the peel. 
    GO GATORS!!!

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    If the stone you're using extends past the platesetter, it may be getting a little hot around the edges, which might explain the charred edges. And you may wanna try a few little crumbled balls of tin foil for a little more air flow next time if you feel the ridges are restricting the flow of air. Like you said, practice makes perfect. :) I haven't perfected mine yet either.
  • Sixpack1
    Options
    I love cooking and experimenting on my egg so every cook is an adventure. Thanks for your suggestion about the foil I'll give it a try. 
    GO GATORS!!!

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @Sixpac1 Welcome aboard. I am no pro but do really enjoy ZA that comes off the egg. Once you get the hang of it, you will never order in pizza again. Your pics look really good.
     Couple of suggestions for your consideration. Try heating the egg to 500* or so. As Dyal_SC has said, air gap between the PS and pizza stone. Another thing I do is I let the PS and stone stabilize at the temp for a while. I used corn meal on parchment paper. When the crust starts to firm up I pull the paper. Just be careful not to spill the cornmeal all over the place. Depending how thick your crust is and how high your toppings will determine time. Keep an eye on the ZA. Your pies look great, keep up the good work.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Pizzas look excellent for it being your first go around. Or even 10th time!! I myself put the legs up on the PS then grid then green feet and finally the stone and cook at 450-500 but the heat really depends on the dough you use. I use pre-made crust and that temp is what works best for me.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Pie looks good! Go Bucs!!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I know many will disagree but I found plate setter legs up. Three bricks keeping grate at felt level. Pizza stone. 450 degrees for exactly 12 minutes rotated once at 6 minutes gives me my best results. I gave up on higher heat and trying to get them done quicker and accepted my 12 minute cooks. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Sixpack1
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice. I tried to cook the first one high in the dome at high temps but may have left it on to long. I want to take another stab at that too. @Ken the second I cooked similar to your technique felt high at 400* for 10 minutes but the cheese didn't brown and the crust was very tasty. It's definitely fun a learning experience...
    GO GATORS!!!

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Here's what works for me:
    • charcoal to top of firebox
    • preheat pizza stone in the oven at 400 while the charcoal is greying up
    • platesetter feet down (pizza needs to be at felt level)
    • grill grate between pizza stone and platesetter
    • bring dome temp up to 550-650 degrees
    • once you've taken the stone out of the oven and put it on the grill, let the unit sit for about 10 minutes to equalize temps. Infrared reads about 450 on the stone
    • throw some corn meal lightly on the pizza stone so it doesn't stick
    • cook it up. I don't go by time, I keep checking the crust at the center of the pizza with a spatula. If it's soft, it's not ready. will usually take about 6-7 minutes.
    • remove with a peel when done

Crust is a whole other subject. I've done frozen pizzas on the grill, take n' bakes, made my own crust, bought frozen crusts, and bought the dough and roll it out. I've used several different recipes for dough, hand mixed, made it in the bread machine, dough enhancers...all that stuff. My current favorite method is to buy a medium dough ball from the local pizza place, known for its excellent crust, bring it home and roll it out myself. They've made the dough up at least the day before and it's already risen and been punched down. That works much better for me. The dough ball costs $1 and is better than anything I've mixed up. Well worth a dollar to me. I will often buy several dough balls and freeze them. They thaw well overnight in the fridge. The fresh-dough pizzas I always cook on a parchment...easier to manage. Sauce is also a whole other issue. To be honest, I use Prego with a little added sugar.

In my experience, one of the most important components is that the pizza stone is pre-heated. In your photo, you're a little crispy around the edges. If that's what it takes to get the center part of the crust done then it's likely that your stone was too cold

• dan
    dan Posts: 4
    Options
    Going to try my 3rd pie tonight, First was very smoky, second much better as I let the egg attain almost 600 degrees, Could not get it to or above 600. any suggestions. Been an egghead for well over 25 years
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I start mine early to burn off the VOC's and found using Rockwood charcoal now is much better than when I was using BGE charcoal.
    Dearborn MI
  • Sixpack1
    Options
    @Maccool thank you for the good advice I will definitely give it a try on my next pizza day. 
    GO GATORS!!!

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    dan said:
    Going to try my 3rd pie tonight, First was very smoky, second much better as I let the egg attain almost 600 degrees, Could not get it to or above 600. any suggestions. Been an egghead for well over 25 years

I cooked a couple of pizzas last week and was easily able to get dome  temps of 700-850  using BGE lump (they threw a bag into the deal for my purchase) and left bottom vent wide open..daisy wheel slid to the side.  Had my platesetter legs down and 3 foil ball spacers between that and the stone.  Worked great for me.  I see Maccool's suggestion to preheat the stone in the oven....great idea!!  Even at 700+ dome temps, my stone was below 400.  Went very light on the smoking chips and still had a great brick oven taste.  Good luck with your next ones!
    To Sixpack1:  Great first pies.....As I'm learning myself, they will only get better :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    IMO it is impossible to get the pie TO HIGH in the dome period. The dome will cook it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.