Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking in my new Woo2-CI

Options
Figured since Tom was nice enough to get my woo to me in less than 48 hours, the least I could do is try it out. Ended up with ribs and a pork loin and pulled pork stuffed potatoes. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Little Rock, AR

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Looks incredibly fantastic! Hey, got a question, what are you using to protect your probe. I use aluminum foil, looks like you got a better idea.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    Nice!!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Its high heat cable protectors for automobiles. I'll try to chade down a link. I think it was thermo-tec heatshield.

Little Rock, AR

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Now that's a meal right there brother. Congratulations on the new toy. Looks like it's already earning it's money. The only way that grub could look any better is if it was on a plate in front of me!! Excellent cook to say the very least!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I've cooked most of the day just because. No company or anything. Just had the itch. But I did fix a big pan full and take to my neighbors across the street. They are moving sunday so figured it would save them some trouble trying to pack and chase down supper.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    Bring me some!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Brother those potatoes look killer as well.

Status- Standing by.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Shane that looks like a great cook all the way around. Too bad you are so far away!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    The potatoes are the best part. image

Little Rock, AR

• johnkitchens
    Options
    They look great!

• SGH
    Options
    They sure look fantastic! No question of it.

Status- Standing by.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Biggreenpharmacist
    After seeing your setup, I emailed CGS to ask if they were going to make a CI Woo for the XL.  I have been on the fence about one and if they make it with the handles like yours I'm in for one.  Also like the thermo protection idea.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Only reason I was considering AR was because I want a multi tier setup without beer cans or bricks or bolts. I'm very happy with this woo setup though. I do have my small egg so I can always just fire up both of them.

Little Rock, AR

• marianneiamele1
    Options
    That looks FANTASTIC!!! Can you tell us what's on those potatoes and how long you cooked them and at what temp?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    I have the Woo and the AR. I use and like them both. That being said the Woo gets used for 95% or more of my cooks. I really like it.

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I just baked the potatoes. Then scooped out the insides into a bowl with a lot of butter. Threw in a little milk and chopped green onion and some cheese. Then re-stuffed the potatoes and packed them tight. Topped with chopped up leftover pulled pork then a little shredded cheese. Threw back on egg at 300 degrees for bout 30 minutes. (I had lightly sauced the pulled pork before I chopped it). These were slightly smoky from the egg but honestly I liked these more than anything else I cooked today. It was a spur of the moment idea but I'll certainly be throwing this in my bag of tricks.

Little Rock, AR

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Those ribs are to die for - meatier than anything I have had - almost like a bone in loin!  Cuious to what your finishing glaze is.  Looks really good.  I guess your Egg is a large as your woo has handles.  My XL woo does not have a handle, the small one does.  Wish the XL did as it takes me two operations to lift it all out to add wood or whatever.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    And ya'll aint gonna believe this. Wife got off at 7, was starving so grabbed some cheesesticks at the hospital on her way out. Guess what? Yep!!! Wasnt hungry when she got home. So I cooked all that food, ate a couple ribs and half a tater, and thats it. The kids were full of peanut butter and jelly. If the neighbors hadnt gotten 1/4 rack of each rack of ribs and that sliced loin and some taters and beans, I was the only one to eat. Geez!!!!

Little Rock, AR

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I bet leftovers will get devoured tomorrow!

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    WOW, that cook looks awesome. Thanks for the post.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

Those ribs are to die for - meatier than anything I have had - almost like a bone in loin!  Cuious to what your finishing glaze is.  Looks really good.  I guess your Egg is a large as your woo has handles.  My XL woo does not have a handle, the small one does.  Wish the XL did as it takes me two operations to lift it all out to add wood or whatever.

The glaze for the spares was an experiment. I had some cherry jalapeno bbq sauce I bought at publix. Then mixed it half and half with a jar of my famous jalapeno jelly. I painted that on and let it smoke 20 minutes to set. Came out with an almost candylike texture. They were pretty darn good. But you'll have to take my word for it cuz nobody else ate (crazy damn people).

Little Rock, AR

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I guess your Egg is a large as your woo has handles.  My XL woo does not have a handle, the small one does.  Wish the XL did as it takes me two operations to lift it all out to add wood or whatever.
    The lack of handles is what is preventing me from purchasing also. I sent a question as to whether they were planning on handles and a CI Woo for the XL but don't expect a reply til next week.  Making it minus the handles kind of defeats one of my planned uses for it.  I could even forgo the CI use if the regular SS grate would work with handles but it would be nice to have it all in one package.  I do not want/need an AR.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I hope they help
    You guys out. Im beyond tickled at my setup. Its perfect for 95% of my cooks.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    No doubt brother^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• marianneiamele1
    Options
    Thanks @Biggreenpharmacist‌ I will be doing this soon!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Just PM any questions you might have. I dont mind. Or even call or text if its easier.

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like you had a very fun day of cookin. The woo kinda changes everything just a bit, doesn't it? I have the handles but not the CI like you but still the same concept. It only elves the egg when doin sears or loading up lump. Congrats on the tools to take your cooks to the next level.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Yeah, and my little weber cast iron sear grate sits perfectly on the spider. Gonna have some cool reverse sears. Probably gonna do one tomorrow with some thick cut pork loin chops. image

Little Rock, AR