Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steven Raichlen's Salt-Crusted Beef Tenderloin Grilled in Cloth (Lomo al Trapo)

Options
"It's called Lomo al Trapo (literally "beef tenderloin in cloth") and it goes a little something like this: Wrap a big hunky piece of filet mignon in two cups of salt sprinkled with dried oregano, tie it in an old rag and throw it in flaming coals. Exactly 19 minutes later you will have dinner."

OK Cavemen - let's step it up a bit. 
Started with a nice tenderloin roast, trimmed up so I had a nice size roast and plenty left for tenderloin tips seared with mushrooms and onions later in the week.

imageimage

Dampen a 100% cotton cloth, and cover it with a layer of Kosher Salt.  I varied from the recipe a bit here - used up all my oregano last week with making pizza, but I has some fresh Rosemary in the garden.  Chopped some up and sprinkled over the salt.  Really liked the flavor, so I think I'll skip the oregano next time and just go with Rosemary.

Wrap and truss the filet

Used a chimney to light the coals, so I had a good hot surface to cook on.  Place the wrapped filet directly on top of the hot coals - lid open the whole time.  Needs a hot fire.

Let it go for 9 minutes, then flip.

Eight more minutes on the other side, then check temp.  I was at 125, so I took it off and let rest for a couple minutes before opening.

Brush off the excess salt and slice.
Perfect rare steaks.
Make sure to unwrap outside.  The towel was still smoldering and smoking after we finished dinner.

Turned out great.  Very tender, melt in your mouth.  Not overly salty at all.  I'll try this again when I want to impress guests.

Here is the link to the recipe I used.
http://food52.com/blog/4178-steven-raichlen-s-salt-crusted-beef-tenderloin-grilled-in-cloth-lomo-al-trapo

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That's wild! No cloth transfer or taste?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    No cloth taste. Make sure to use 100% cotton.
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting that there is no burnt cloth taste. Several times I have done a similar recipe but it is s salt encrusted casing made possible using raw egg.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm not a Raichlen fan since the few SR recipes I have tried pretty much sucked. But this sounds like a fun cook. Why bother with the egg though? Just throw it on the chimney... Or was the meat too big?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Would have to go in the chimney vertical. Not sure that would work.
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Gotcha...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut