Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner Party Ideas

Options
Fellow Egg Heads,
I'm having a dinner party tonight/ wine tasting with four other couples this evening.  Any ideas for the main course for dinner?  I was thinking some sort of pork tenderloin but would love any ideas/recipes you might have?

Thanks!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    For me the driver here would be "Who's on first?"  Is the wine set so the idea would be to pair the food with the wine or is it wide open as implied above?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I agree with lou's question above, are you trying to do couses to match with the tastings, or is it tasting with crackers and then dinner?

Multiple tenderloins in different marinades can be nice, a whole pork loin roast or leg of lamb would be nice too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bsgator
    bsgator Posts: 30
    Options
    Great question.  It is a tasting with crackers and then dinner afterwards so the food can be anything.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I like the multiple pork tenderloin idea.  Its a fairly quick, low maintenance cook, so you won't be tied up cooking all night and can enjoy the company, yet still show off the Egg.  And you can do a variety of things with them for different tastes.  Wrap one in bacon, seasoned with your favorite rub, marinate some in different things, rub one with garlic and rosemary.  Lots of choices.  If they don't eat pork, you could do the same thing with chicken breasts. 
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    I am thinking you want something stress free and easy..What about some vegetable kabobs: Zucchini,Mushroom,pepper,pineapple,onion. Then a whole beef fillet, with a cracked pepper cream sauce. The fillet and the kabobs can be done indirect at about 400 dome. Cook the fillet to about 110 internal pull it off and set the Egg up for a good sear, and sear until around 145 internal. The cracked pepper sauce can be done in advance. Maybe served with a big green salad..A nice Pinotage red wine as an accompaniment..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Desmo888
    Options
    Marinate some shrimp in coconut milk, sweet onions and spicy peppers, wrap scallops in serano ham, and do a couple of whole fish.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    App...

Red pears...peeled, halved, hollowed, goat cheese and walnuts. Wrap in bacon. Serve with chardonnay.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Sorry forgot the dessert..Rum soaked peaches grilled and served with vanilla ice cream..
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @bsgator-as you are quite new here-welcome aboard and to set you straight, @henapple will suggest a bacon wrapped course for any menu-sometimes he even mentions that you may want to cook the bacon...but on other occasions... :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Chicken ballotine. It has a wow factor to it, you can prepare it in advance and it can trigger some nice conversations.

edited August 2014
    Options
    Here's a thread that contains a link to the youtube video instructions.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163278/cordon-bleu-chicken-jacques-pepin-style-pics-heavy

Options
    @paqman..Dang that does look good thanks for the link..
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @johnmitchell‌ - this one looks even better than the one in the thread I posted. You can use whatever you want as stuffing. My favorite is bread chicken stuffing with dried appricots and cashew nuts.

Options

It all depends on how much work you want to do, and if you want to spend the party cooking or hanging out with guests (sometimes I'd rather be in the kitchen....)

For the less work option I almost always go with a whole beef tenderloin. I actually don't use the Egg for a whole tender, 23 minutes in a 500 degree oven produces a perfect medium rare. Blasphemy I know...This can actually be done an hour or so before eating - I think it actually has more flavor the closer it gets to room temp.

For a little more effort, I find grilled bacon (or pancetta) wrapped shrimp always make people happy. Get the big honking shrimp, and serve over cheese grits. Make a balsamic vinegar reduction (Vinegar+OJ reduced to a syrup) to drizzle over the plate. Top with caramelized shallots and you have a happy happy crowd.  

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Whole beef tenderloin. I did an 8 pound one to 133°, took it off to rest while I cooked vegetables. It was medium rare to medium and awesome. I rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. I was going to take it to 115° then reverse sear, but that was going to take to long and everyone was hungry. It was a hit. I think doing a pork loin or stuffed one would be good to. Good old steaks is always a hit too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mexican love bites...unusual and surprisingly good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Pork T is easy and always a winner. I always truss two together end to end and then cut into medallions. Raging river, red eye or yardbird rubs for me. If you want to go another direction, cedar plank salmon is easy and always great. Raging river on that. You can plank the tenderloin as we'll if you want to get fancy. I've used maple planks with a simple maple syrup glaze. Just search for a maple glaze. Usually just syrup and a few other ingredients. Good luck. All the work is in the prep and planning.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    what did you end up cooking?  My vote would have been the pork T as well...or a couple spatchcocks if you have some picky eaters.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    What did you end up cooking for your guests?
  • bsgator
    bsgator Posts: 30
    Options
    Ended up doing pork tenderloin 3 ways: wrapped in bacon; one stuffed with goat cheese, spinach, and sundried tomatoes; and one with a mustard marinade and crust. Delicious, easy and everyone loved them!
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Awesome..Glad it was a success..
    :-c