Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SPATCHCOCK CHEEKIN

Had a blast yesterday cookin another Spatchcock Cheekin getting ready to picnic at the Moonlight Theater and watch MERRY POPPINS.  One Hour at between 375 and 385 indirect with a 1 minute sear reverse.  Tiny over done but still juicy and sooo good.  Four of us ate the whole thang consumed two bottles of wine and then hiked up the hill and watched a live performance of MERRY POPPINS. Modified Mickey's rub. NO sugar, one third less espresso and added some Chipotle powder.   Don't know why I just can't get my head around making chicken taste like desert.

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Looks good to me! I'm going to try a sear skin side down at the end on my next one. Hopefully the skin will be edible for once!
    NW IOWA
  • BBQJIM
    BBQJIM Posts: 106
    That rubbery chicken skin is a challenge.  I think they are fattening the chickens so much that they have an extra layer of fat under the skin and it makes it hard to dry out.  Searing helps. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Leaving chicken uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before cooking makes a huge difference in crisping the skin and I have never found that the sugar content in the rub makes it sweet like desert.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Philly35 said:
    Looks good to me! I'm going to try a sear skin side down at the end on my next one. Hopefully the skin will be edible for once!
    go to 400 DIRECT and RAISED.... let the top of the dome cook the skin
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    I was wondering what was for dinner tonight.  I think I'll stop and pick up a bird and do this tonight myself. Thanks for the idea.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Looks great, I have never tried reverse sear but its a great idea, thanks for sharing.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    I do a lot of spatch chicken and always brine overnight.1/4c brn sugar 1/4c kosher salt some garlic some onion and 8or 9 cloves. Take out the next night rinse well pat dry rub little olive oil put on rub that I make.BGE @ 300-350skin side down for 20 flip put on KS bbq sauce that I makecook for 10min. flip put on sauce cook another 20 flip&sauce every 10 till done. All done direct with grate high. The best chicken you ever ate.  
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I keep it simple. No brine, oil and dizzy dust, 350@ raised direct, 50 minutes. 

Let's eat! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816

Let's eat! 
    Agreed!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    I like to brine. I like to cook. the more steps the better for me.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I've let them sit in the fridge for 24+ hours before with no luck. I usually don't eat the skin anyways. It's just to fatty for me. The last one I did I literally pulled fat out from under the skin in all places. That was nasty. I agree with @BBQJIM‌ Even if the skin is crispy, I still can't eat it due to all the fat under it.
    NW IOWA
  • BBQJIM
    What I love about this forum is the diversity of ideas.  I like to think that none of us has found the best way to do chicken yet.  We keep searching and experimenting and someday maybe one or all will discover that elusive best way.  "Let's see did I write down all the things I did to the meat?  Did I record the minimum/maximum time and temperatures?"  

It is said that to become a professional at anything you have to put a minimum of 10,000 hours into your trade.  Well I got a long way to go so thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    I just take it out of the fridge season(salt pepper garlic and onion powder)  it let it sit well i get the egg up to temp which 350 direct cook for 45 -60 min depending on size  then let it rest for 10-15 min the eat turns out great every time
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424

Let's eat! 
    I must agree with this.  I will brine turkey, but have never chicken.  Never have had any issues.  In fact, the only complaint I have received was one from my wife who once commented that the breast was too moist and that she preferred it a little more dry.  Will try to work on that one.....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • BBQJIM
    I have tried dry brining and it works well.  I read somewhere that it works just as well.  Salt gets in only so deep either way.  Have to be careful or you can over salt.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    My wife has only brined a turkey once. We didn't think it made a bit of difference. 

That was pre-egg. If we are home, I doubt she will ever roast a turkey again. I've tried a breast as s want-up. Turned our just ok, on the dry side. I'll probably spatch the turkey. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Haven't done one on the egg yet, but best spatched chicken i did was on the weber kettle, directly over medium briquettes, pressed down with a salt block.  brick would have worked just as well. the fat rendered out of the skin and it crisped up nicely.  will have to try it on the egg next.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    The last few spatchcocks I cooked, I used Mrs Dash Garlic as the rub.  It seems to get nice and crispy on the skin if that is what you are looking for.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!