Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Cook Today

Options
It's a  small one - 3.3 lbs (for 2). Mustard rub and Dizzy Dust, cook fat cap down.  Planning 225-250, platesetter up, raised drip pan - no liquid, apple chunk and cherry chips.  I anticipate a 5 hour cook to 190. 3 beans and cornbread.  Am I missing anything? Also, I've seen FTC  a lot in the butt forum. What does that stand for? 

I appreciate all replies! 
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Foil,Towel,Cooler. You can foil the meat wrap it in a towel and place in cooler. The meat will stay warm for a few hours. Some cooks this is the prefered method of finishing it up.
    Danville, Il
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    You should plan for around 2 hrs/lb at that temp just so you aren't stressing at the end of the cook.  And FTC can save you if finished early.  FTC= foil, towels and cooler.  Double wrap the target meat in HDAF, then put in a cooler with towels (fill the void space).  Shut the lid and wait-you can easily hold butts and briskets 4 hours + til ready to pull/slice and eat.  With more effort you can hold twice as long-pre-heat cooler with hot water, dryer heat the towels, place cooler in the sun...You get the idea.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would only use 190 as a baseline to start checking for doneness. My guess is it will be closer to 200-205. The best indicator for doneness will be when the bone pulls clean or you can probe with no resistance. It will feel like you are poking hot Buttah. FTC - Fowel - Towel - Cooler. If you get done way ahead of schedule (several hrs) you can wrap the butt in a couple layers of heavy foil,wrap that with a couple of towels and place in a cooler for 4-5hrs. Good luck with the cook.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

You should consider cooking it to 200/205 and if it's bone in cook it until the bone is loose.

FTC stands for foil to cooler (wrap tight in foil and put in a cooler wrapped in a towel) until your ready to eat up to 3 or 4 hours.

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

The butt has met the Egg! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    If I pull at 190 won't it continue to cook to 200/205? 

Thanks! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I generally pull mine at 203 if I'm going to be serving right off the egg will let it set for a while then pull

FTC works great if you need to keep it warm for a few hours but I don't like doing it if possible because it can turn that wonderful bark into mush

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pull it when your temp probe meets no resistance when inserted. Not before. Will likely be 200-ish, but the actual temp doesn't mean much. Also, FTC is only needed if the butt is done early. Not necessary otherwise. Next time, skip the mustard. Messy and completely unnecessary.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

Looking good!

I always pull mine off the egg at 200 whether I FTC or not, just my opinion.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options

Slaw

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I settle the egg in just around the 250-270 mark. And I pull it when it reaches IT of 203+- It is going to be great, enjoy the grub. What you are missing is, your address, so we can join you. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • BigGreenGator
    Options

I settle the egg in just around the 250-270 mark. And I pull it when it reaches IT of 203+- It is going to be great, enjoy the grub. What you are missing is, your address, so we can join you. ;)

X2

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    Pull it when your temp probe meets no resistance when inserted. Not before. Will likely be 200-ish, but the actual temp doesn't mean much. Also, FTC is only needed if the butt is done early. Not necessary otherwise. Next time, skip the mustard. Messy and completely unnecessary.

===========

I like putting on the rubber gloves for the mustard....and to annoy TOWMBO.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options

So, I don't need to FTC for only 2 hours?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

If I pull at 190 won't it continue to cook to 200/205? 

Thanks! 
    No.

Options

So, I don't need to FTC for only 2 hours?
    FTC only if you finish early. I typically finish just on time so I almost never FTC. You can also wrap in foil and keep in the oven at warm setting.

Options
    I'm in the dreaded stall. It's my first stall. I hope the butt still respect me in the morning. I'm doing manual checks so don't know how long it's stalled (160*). Dome is smack on 250*. It's been on for 6 hours (3.3 lb. butt). Should I crank it up to 350* or be patient? I've still got a couple hours before I want to pull it. 

Thanks! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Turbo butt are cooked at 350F so I see no problem raising the temp if you are worried about the timing.

Options
    If you are in a time crunch open the egg up to 350 and let it eat some lump!! This won't hurt a thing and will give the bark a bit more bite(which I like).

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.