Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KCBS RestDepot Costco

Options
As a longtime member of the Costco cult when a Restaurant Depot opened up nearby I joined KCBS to get a card. KCBS seem mainly concerned with holding BBQ contests and providing judging, at least that is the emphasis in the monthly mailing. The only problem I have with their events, and there aren't really any around here, is that they don't seem to provide much in the way of samplings to John Q Public, and I may be wrong about that. Their annual fee is $35. Costco costs around $100 for the Executive level of service, where we get a kickback on our spending that basically pays for the card. Overall, Costco works just fine as BBQ meat supplier for the most part. Except, BUTT. RD has a much larger selection and bigger pork butts, including bone in and bone out, and they have choice black angus brisket. But again, they don't have fresh chicken, which is odd and is our staple out of Costco. RD also has a much larger selection on fresh seafood where here in So. Fla. they have some of most everything for 'reasonable prices' that we used to see in most local groceries years ago. Of course RD has tons of restaurant related equipment that Costco does not, too. Now, to go with being an BGE BBQ snob, I'm suddenly a 'meat snob' and will not even look at what the local supermarkets stock, it makes me laugh in terms of quality and price for what we get at Costco and RD. And we use the Egg 2-3 times a week so memberships at these wholesalers has been worth every cent. 

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    We are members of both Costco and KCBS/RD.  The RD is about 1.5 hours away and we get there about once/month on the way to/from somewhere else.  Our Costco does not carry packer briskets so that waits for RD visits.  RD also has whole Chuck Short Ribs and whole Plate Ribs which, to me, is worth the trip and cost.  Our RD doesn't carry shoulder tenders or Tri Tip (nor does Costco) but a local supermarket carries both from time to time.

You are correct about the fresh fish at RD - very good selection but Costco has good Salmon and a few other varieties from time to time.

So, I guess my bottom line is that I like having both available to me.  We have 2 large freezers, so we don't have to shop for meat very often.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    KCBS member here and yes, their focus is primarily the competitive BBQ world.  Unfortunately, no Restaurant Depot here in Knoxville. 

Costco - relatively new to the area (2011), we like them for prime beef steaks, St Louis trimmed spares, tri-tip, and packer briskets.  Butts are usually boneless so I pass.

Sams - I prefer their butts because 1) they are often IPB and 2) they are bone in.  I also get my chicken here.

Gordon Food Services - no membership fee but much more limited meat section, although they do occasionally have good briskets and deals on baby back ribs.  Much better in the way of catering and competition supplies. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This