Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Tip.....

Options
Hey guys!  Most of you probably know this, maybe all of you but in case you didn't I will enlighten you on a thermapen tip.  I've been watching several BBQ & Cooking shows on TV and as you know most use Thermapen's.  I notice most of the thermanpens I see on TV read in tenth's of a degree, mine reads in whole numbers.  I was just thinking they have a more advanced version.  I looked into it.  You can just take the battery compartment off the thermapen and you will see a little black looking chip under there with the numbers 1-2-3-4 all with there own little sliders.  You can slide the 2 in the other direction and your pen will read in 'tenths'.  As I said, most of you guys may already know this but it was news to me. Just thought I would share in case there were others like me.......

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks BUT why??????????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'm with @Mickey‌ . Why?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Why?! Apparently, you've never a a steak at a perfect 144.6 degrees. So much juicier than 145. B-) Sorry, OP....not trying to pile on.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    "Why" you ask.......because some people like to be quite precise and like to know all the features on a gadget they paid a lot for.  Can't think of any other reason really.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Its a good thing to know. I would never use it but it always made me wonder how the tv shows where different.. now i know, thx
    Beaufort, SC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Always worth sharing, thanks for thinking about us. 
    For some of us Canucks and Euros (where Thermoworks originated I think) we set our pens to Cº. The Cº scale has only 100 steps between freezing and boiling, while the old Fº scale has 180 steps. Tenths of degrees may be important to Cº users, Fº users not so much.

Many professional chefs demand the accuracy of tenths in both Cº and Fº, for us weekend warriors being within a degree or two in either scale is just fine. 

Only time I used the tenths was to check my Anova SV when I first got it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Why?! Apparently, you've never a a steak at a perfect 144.6 degrees. So much juicier than 145. B-) Sorry, OP....not trying to pile on.
    123.6 here
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Thanks BUT why??????????
    Honestly, no good reason.  Just letting everyone know it's available.  I'm not sure that I don't like the way it reads in whole numbers better.  Looks a little more confusing with the .-

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    FYI, the manual that comes with the Thermapen has all the DIP switch settings documented. But who reads the manual. :))

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Manual......we don't need no stinkin' manual!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    DMW said:
    FYI, the manual that comes with the Thermapen has all the DIP switch settings documented. But who reads the manual. :))

RTFM 

:D
    canuckland
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Thanks BUT why??????????
    @Mickey I have the feeling that you wouldn't be shocked at all if I did the same thing. You know I tend to be an "over thinker"!   

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Thanks BUT why??????????
    @Mickey I have the feeling that you wouldn't be shocked at all if I did the same thing. You know I tend to be an "over thinker"!   

For real =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    Thought they came like that, mine did.
    Brampton, Ontario

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    I will not drink beer over 38.45 degrees F. sorry had to do it......

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks for the post @corey24 I am going order my first thermapen from amazon today, that is good info.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • TomRaz
    TomRaz Posts: 22
    Options
    I use mine on the family to take their temperatures and now I will be able to read a true 98.6 degrees :(

But seriously thanks for the tip, I just got one last week and I did not read my manual.

They are awesome devices
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Any place better or worse to buy a thermapen and roughly what did you pay
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • TomRaz
    Options
    I bought mine directly from Thermapen in an open box sale, I think it was $74.99
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    When you take your families temp where do you put the probe? (Just before checking the steak)
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • TomRaz
    Options

GlennM said:
    When you take your families temp where do you put the probe? (Just before checking the steak)
    In the money muscle for sure !
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Speaking of taking the family temp - Do you know the biggest difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer?

The taste
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Any place better or worse to buy a thermapen and roughly what did you pay
    @Jstroke You can subscribe to e-mails from Thermoworks and take advantage of open box sales (@TomRaz suggestion - sometimes colours are limited) or just pick a new one in the colour of your choice for $96 plus maybe $3 shipping anywhere in the US. Last time I checked Amazon's price was the same as Thermoworks, right down to the shipping. If you get some advantage of using Amazon, might be worthwhile to consider.  
    Another alternative is to order 5 (ask some friends who might be interested) and the price is discounted  by almost 12%. 
    We all like to get the best deal, but don't wait for something you will use every cook, is very reliable and accurate. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited August 2014
    Options
    pasoegg said:

I will not drink beer over 38.45 degrees F. sorry had to do it......

You've been watching too many Coors Light commercials, many types of beer are better served at 45-55° F. Coors just wants you to drink their beer cold.. so your taste buds get numb and you don't taste it :))

You can spend $100 for a thermapen, or $24 for a thermopop @Jstroke‌ pop takes 3-5 seconds for read.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    DMW said:

I only need a manual if I have too many extra parts after assembling something.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA