Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pull the trigger on a used SBGE

Options
2»

Comments

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    If I were to go to the work of disassembling the hinge and bands, I would have them powder coated.  Much more durable.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Great find and congrats on the deal. I love my Small and use it several times per week to make veggies on fire wires. Also took it on the road last weekend so I didn't have to miss out on egging while I was gone. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Congrats!!!! Looking forward to seeing the SBGE cooks....I love mine btw

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    If I were to go to the work of disassembling the hinge and bands, I would have them powder coated.  Much more durable.
    Dumb question here...where does one get powder coating done?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice score.

I personally would not consider getting a ceramic cap.  Strip and paint your DFMT with black high heat grill paint.  Rustoleum makes it, and you can find it at any big box store.  I am also waiting for someone to create a cap similar to the eggware/smokeware cap.  That will replace both ceramic cap and DFMT.  Someone here was trying to design one.  Not sure on it's progression???
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +1 what @Focker just said! BTW in talking with Matt even recently from SmokeWare a cap for the small is highly unlikely at the is time due to design and production costs don't match up with perceived demand. As for the other guy making one on his own he probably discovered the same issues.

BTW Adam, your Rutland is cut, boxed, addressed and ready to ship right after lunch.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Can't wait for the gasket! Going to do the large and small at the same time.

Pulled the for ring and box out of the small and did a clean burn with the large in it. The daisy wheel was so stuck that I had to heat up the egg to 500 and coax it with a hammer and some scrap wood. This person really never cleaned this thing.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • apinion
    Options
    Anyone have a recommendation for what to use to clean this junk off? Dawn soap?

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    try simply green and a scotchbright sponge to lightly scrub
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @apinion‌ heat it up. Use a mild soap and water. Or grease lightning, simple green. The heat helps loosen it. I find it easier to clean while warm (not nuclear lol). That is how I keep my Smokeware clean too. I clean at the end while it's still piping hot. It comes clean without any real labor.

Edit: you may need to add elbow grease to my above recommendation. But, rest assured it'll come clean. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    Nice result all round, congrats. How often should one 'clean burn'? What does it entail. Thanks.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • apinion
    Options
    I clean burn is on an as needed basis. I did it to this one because I bought it used and wanted anything he cooked gone.

You can also do a clean burn whenever you feel it necessary if you get too much grease, etc.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RRP said:
    Dumb question here...where does one get powder coating done?

Sorry I missed that Ron,  Check local listings for painting and coatings.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I had a chance to get a small for $300 and am still kicking myself that I tried to get it for $50-100 off and walked....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95