Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need salsa recipe

I have a few good tomatos ready and would like to make some salsa this weekend.  anyone have a good recipe for me to try?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm really liking this one right now.

Just had some SWMBO made.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2014
    Salsa, Pico de Gallo, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    6-8 Whole Tomatoes
    1 Medium Red Onion
    1 Bunch Cilantro, fresh
    1 Can Green Chiles, diced, Ortegas/El Paso or similar
    1-2 Whole Jalapenos, fresh
    Juice from 1 fresh Lime
    1/4 cup Wine Vinegar
    1 dash Cayenne Pepper
    Fresh ground Pepper, to taste
    1/2 oz Cuervo Gold Tequila, to taste (optional)
    2-3 Tbs Hot Italian Cherry Peppers, diced (optional) or La Bomba

Procedure:
     Take tomatoes and cut in half against the stem, remove the seeds and any juices and
     discard. Dice tomatoes in 1/4 inch pieces.
     Sprinkle with a little salt and let set for 30 minutes to remove more juices (prior to
     doing this, if you desire, lightly roast the whole tomato to remove the skin-gas  burner or grill is best,   but keep some of the burnt skin for flavor and texture).
     Finely dice red onion, jalapenos, and cilantro (leaves only).
     Mix all ingredients (best the next day-will keep refrigerated for about a week)

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Salsa

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe (Richard Fl)
  • takosito
    takosito Posts: 21
    double_ds said:
    I have a few good tomatos ready and would like to make some salsa this weekend.  anyone have a good recipe for me to try?
    "Salsa Quemada" is very tasty and simple to make:

Ingredients: 
    5 Tomatoes
    1 big onion or two medium
    5 jalapeño peppers (mild) or 8 serrano peppers (hot)
    2 limes (the green and small, not the yellow and big lemon)
    3 garlic cloves
    salt
    black pepper

Procedure: 

Make a cut in three of the tomatoes and insert on each one a peeled garlic clove inside the tomatoes.

Wrap the tomatoes, peppers and onion in thin foil, and put them on the grill directly over the high heat (around 30-45 minutes). You can wrap the tomatoes and the peppers together, but the onions should be apart, as it takes longer to cook them (around 1 hr)

Once everything is cooked appropriately (very soft and a bit charred), put the onions, tomatoes and peppers in a bowl and mash them, until the onion is fully split and the tomatoes, peppers and garlic cloves make a coarse puree consistency.

Squeeze the limes and add the salt and pepper to your taste.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited August 2014
    Tex-Mex  Restaurant Style- (This is our go-to)

I lg can of San Marzano Tomatoes (These are the best but you can use regular canned if you want)
    1 Med white onion
    2 jalapenos
    Cilantro
    lime 
    garlic salt

We use a food processor-

Combine tomatoes, quartered onion, quartered jalapenos (you can start with one and add if it's not spicy enough for you), juice of 1/2 lime (if it's a good lime- if it does not have a lot of juice, use the whole thing), maybe 15 cilantro leaves and a tsp of garlic salt and give it a spin.taste it and  add salt, lime and jalapeno to suit your taste but this is usually right on it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ours is almost identical to the one DMW posted and she uses fancy pics and real measurements. Do that one. I highly  recommend san Marzano Tomatoes over the cheapos though. huge difference. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816

Try this one from DP.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/fajita-ish-dusted-corn-salsa/

We made it last weekend and are making even more (ALOT MORE) tomorrow.  I will be posting pics of it later in the day tomorrow.  I like it because I get to use the egg to cook the veggies!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I never measure my salsa, but my list of ingredients is pretty small.

Tomatoes
    onion
    Jalapenos
    cilantro
    cucumber
    squirt of lemon juice
    dash or two of salt

everything diced by hand
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Conman64
    Conman64 Posts: 16
    Love the Chevey's knockoff Recipe on the BGE

Grill on open flame tomatoes, onion and jalapeno pepper (I oil them and put them in a CI skillet on the egg ).  Remove when slightly chared and tomatoes soften and split. Remove from grill and let cool. Drain accumulated liquid. Remove stems from jalapenos and end core ends of tomatoes (I peel tomatoes). Place tomatoes, onions, jalapeno pepper, and all remaining ingredients into blender. Blend until desired consistancy (approx 10 seconds).  Pour into container and chill. Serve and enjoy with your favorite chips

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited August 2014
    I highly  recommend san Marzano Tomatoes over the cheapos though. huge difference. 

Normally I'd agree, but mid-summer, go for your own or from the Farmer's Market  (I guess the OP is starting from that point, never mind....)
    I always mince up one or two chipotle peppers in my salsa, really like that flavor.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    double_ds said:

Mango, pineapple apple, Pico de galo....traditional? What are you using it for/any specific dish ie chicken, fish etc? If that's already been answered I apologize
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL